Mailing List Archive

Gentoo NTFS support
I knwo gentoo has support for NTFS, I am using the 2.6.8-r3 kernel and
have checked the appropriate boxes and re compiled my kernel

howeever

mount -t ntfs -o ro /dev/hdc1 /pub/fs02
returns
mount: fs type ntfs not supported by kernel

is there anyway to check NTFS is indeed compiled into the kernel?
if i go back to menuconfig the box is checked under File Systems ->
Dos/Win/NT or something

do i need to compile something else?

Thanks for the help

Ryan "Phoenix" Coates
ryan.coates@gmail.com

Re: Gentoo NTFS support [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2004-10-04 at 01:06, Ryan Coates wrote:
> I knwo gentoo has support for NTFS, I am using the 2.6.8-r3 kernel and
> have checked the appropriate boxes and re compiled my kernel
>
> howeever
>
> mount -t ntfs -o ro /dev/hdc1 /pub/fs02
> returns
> mount: fs type ntfs not supported by kernel
>
> is there anyway to check NTFS is indeed compiled into the kernel?
> if i go back to menuconfig the box is checked under File Systems ->
> Dos/Win/NT or something
>
> do i need to compile something else?
>
> Thanks for the help

try mount /dev/hdc1 /pub/fs02
something in your options is wrong and if you have kernel automounter
support compiled in it will mount.

Re: Gentoo NTFS support [ In reply to ]
did you compile it as a module, run mondules-conf and then modprobed
ntfs ??

BillK

Re: Gentoo NTFS support [ In reply to ]
> try mount /dev/hdc1 /pub/fs02
> something in your options is wrong and if you have kernel automounter
> support compiled in it will mount.

I have tried that, it returns the same error unfortunatly :/

>did you compile it as a module, run mondules-conf and then modprobed
>ntfs ??

its compiled into the kernel, not as a module
but modprobe ntfs is returning an error FATAL: module ntfs is not found

Ryan "Phoenix" Coates
ryan.coates@gmail.com

Re: Gentoo NTFS support [ In reply to ]
nope no /proc/config.gz

is this something i can emerge?

Re: Gentoo NTFS support [ In reply to ]
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org wrote:

> > try mount /dev/hdc1 /pub/fs02
> > something in your options is wrong and if you have kernel automounter
> > support compiled in it will mount.
> >
> > --
> >

> I have tried that, it returns the same error unfortunatly :/
>

> >did you compile it as a module, run mondules-conf and then modprobed
> >ntfs ??
>

> its compiled into the kernel, not as a module
> but modprobe ntfs is returning an error FATAL: module ntfs is not found

Sometimes the simplest answers are the best: I think your ntfs-module
just isn't there - to change this make sure 1.) that /usr/src/linux
points to your current kernel-source and not to an older version
2.)that in make menuconfig ntfs-suport is marked with [M]
and then run make modules_install and modules-update .... I think that
should work

antonio

Re: Gentoo NTFS support [ In reply to ]
ok i compiled it as a module and it seems to work ok now
but am i going to have to modprobe ntfs every boot now?
if of preferred if it had compiled into the kernel :)

thanks

Ryan "Phoenix" Coates
ryan.coates@gmail.com

Re: Gentoo NTFS support [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 12:01:21 +0100, Ryan Coates wrote:

> ok i compiled it as a module and it seems to work ok now
> but am i going to have to modprobe ntfs every boot now?

Add ntfs to /etc/modules.autoload/kernel-2.6

--
Neil Bothwick

Don't judge a book by its movie.
Re: Gentoo NTFS support [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 19:27:03 +0000, Mirco Antonio Coralles wrote:

> > Add ntfs to /etc/modules.autoload/kernel-2.6

> I've a 2.4 kernel, but I think it should be the same for 2.6 kernels.
> The ntfs module should load automatically at the moment you need it.
> At least on my computer it does without further invention....

It will with devfs but not with udev.

--
Neil Bothwick

Welcome to the world of Windows 95. Stay a while -- stay foooreveeer.
Re: Gentoo NTFS support [ In reply to ]

Re: Gentoo NTFS support [ In reply to ]
Hi Ryan,

* Ryan Coates <ryan.coates@gmail.com>, Monday, October 4, 2004, 7:06:42 AM:

> is there anyway to check NTFS is indeed compiled into the kernel?
cat /proc/filesystems

Timo

Re: Gentoo NTFS support [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 04:51, Peter Ruskin wrote:
> On Monday 04 October 2004 12:01, Ryan Coates wrote:
> > ok i compiled it as a module and it seems to work ok now
> > but am i going to have to modprobe ntfs every boot now?
> > if of preferred if it had compiled into the kernel :)
> >
> Add it to /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.x
>
> In mine I have:
>
> vfat
> ntfs
> nfs
> smbfs

Funny. In mine, I only load my Ethernet card and USB modules. The rest
are all loaded automagically

CONFIG_FAT_FS=m
CONFIG_VFAT_FS=m
CONFIG_NTFS_FS=m
(yes. I have it mounted automatically at boot via /etc/fstab)

Re: Gentoo NTFS support [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 10:26:38 +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:

> > Add it to /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.x
> >
> > In mine I have:
> >
> > vfat
> > ntfs
> > nfs
> > smbfs
>
> Funny. In mine, I only load my Ethernet card and USB modules. The rest
> are all loaded automagically
>
> CONFIG_FAT_FS=m
> CONFIG_VFAT_FS=m
> CONFIG_NTFS_FS=m
> (yes. I have it mounted automatically at boot via /etc/fstab)

Do you use udev or devfs? devfs load the modules automatically, udev
does not.

--
Neil Bothwick

I know corn oil comes from corn, where does baby oil come from?
Re: Gentoo NTFS support [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 09:34:26 +0100, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 10:26:38 +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
>

> Do you use udev or devfs? devfs load the modules automatically, udev
> does not.

Not true, kernel loads the filesystem modules automagically regardless
of whether you use devfs or udev. I use udev (I don't even have devfs
compiled into kernel) and have following in my kernel config:
CONFIG_ISO9660_FS=m
CONFIG_NTFS_FS=m
I don't load any of these during boot and still can mount iso CDs and
NTFS partitions and modules get autoloaded. Of course, you need to
have enabled Automatic kernel module loading (CONFIG_KMOD) under
Loadable modules support in your kernel config.

Re: Gentoo NTFS support [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 11:16:07 +0200, Jaroslav Sladek wrote:

> > Do you use udev or devfs? devfs load the modules automatically, udev
> > does not.

> Not true, kernel loads the filesystem modules automagically regardless
> of whether you use devfs or udev.

So it does. When did that start working? I know I had to put the modules
in autoload previously.

> Of course, you need to
> have enabled Automatic kernel module loading (CONFIG_KMOD) under
> Loadable modules support in your kernel config.

That is enabled, and always has been AFAIK. I don't remember enabling it
separately.

--
Neil Bothwick

Pentium instruction of the day: FLI: Flash Lights Impressively