Mailing List Archive

Removing patches...
I've just rediscovered gentoo-dev-sources and I find I'd like to eliminate a
patch out of the gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.8-r6 ebuild.

How does one go about deleting a patch? More specificly the boot splash
patches? I'd need to keep the vanilla framebuffer code intact and this patch
eliminates that possibility.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you, in advance.

Jerry

Re: Removing patches... [ In reply to ]
I may not be understanding what you are askgin but you can build a kernel
without the bootsplash patch and have just the framebuffer. In Menuconfig
simply uncheck the bootsplash stuff.

Re: Removing patches... [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 3 Oct 2004, Jerry McBride wrote:

> I've just rediscovered gentoo-dev-sources and I find I'd like to eliminate a
> patch out of the gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.8-r6 ebuild.
>

> How does one go about deleting a patch? More specificly the boot splash
> patches? I'd need to keep the vanilla framebuffer code intact and this patch
> eliminates that possibility.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you, in advance.
>
> Jerry

Jerry,
If you have access to the patch you want to remove then a command
of the following form should work:

bzcat patch | patch -p1 -R

(or so I'm told... ;-)

- Mark

Re: Removing patches... [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 03 October 2004 10:25 pm, Brett I. Holcomb wrote:
> I may not be understanding what you are askgin but you can build a kernel
> without the bootsplash patch and have just the framebuffer. In Menuconfig
> simply uncheck the bootsplash stuff.
>
> On Sun, 3 Oct 2004, Jerry McBride wrote:
> > I've just rediscovered gentoo-dev-sources and I find I'd like to
> > eliminate a patch out of the gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.8-r6 ebuild.
> >

> > How does one go about deleting a patch? More specificly the boot splash
> > patches? I'd need to keep the vanilla framebuffer code intact and this
> > patch eliminates that possibility.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thank you, in advance.
> >
> > Jerry

Hi Brett,

Disabling the bootsplash option does not restore the original frame buffer
operations. It would seem that the boot splash enhancements are changing the
framebuffer functionality in a way that it's almost broken for what I need to
do.

What I;d like to do is top the bootsplash and the framebuffer-tng patches from
being applied so I can keep fb support at the vanilla level....

The question is, How?

Cheers.

Re: Removing patches... [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 03 October 2004 11:09 pm, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Oct 2004, Jerry McBride wrote:
> > I've just rediscovered gentoo-dev-sources and I find I'd like to
> > eliminate a patch out of the gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.8-r6 ebuild.
> >

> > How does one go about deleting a patch? More specificly the boot splash
> > patches? I'd need to keep the vanilla framebuffer code intact and this
> > patch eliminates that possibility.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thank you, in advance.
> >
> > Jerry
>
> Jerry,
> If you have access to the patch you want to remove then a command
> of the following form should work:
>
> bzcat patch | patch -p1 -R
>
> (or so I'm told... ;-)

Thanks, I'll give it a whack.

Re: Removing patches... [ In reply to ]
Jerry McBride wrote:
> I'd need to keep the vanilla framebuffer code intact and this
> patch eliminates that possibility.

Why are you using a heavily patched kernel if you need unpatched code?

Re: Removing patches... [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 4:41 pm, Jerry McBride wrote:
<snip>
> What I;d like to do is top the bootsplash and the framebuffer-tng
> patches from being applied so I can keep fb support at the vanilla
> level....
>
> The question is, How?
>
> Cheers.

one posibility is to use the non-gentoo development-sources from
portage and apply your own patches as required?
--

Linux - It is now safe to turn on your computer.

-- From a Slashdot.org post

Re: Re: Removing patches... [ In reply to ]
I see now. You could modify the ebuild to not apply the patch - maybe??

> From: Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@comcast.net>
> Date: 2004/10/04 Mon AM 03:41:23 GMT
> To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
> Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Removing patches...
>
> On Sunday 03 October 2004 10:25 pm, Brett I. Holcomb wrote:
> > I may not be understanding what you are askgin but you can build a kernel
> > without the bootsplash patch and have just the framebuffer. In Menuconfig
> > simply uncheck the bootsplash stuff.
> >
> > On Sun, 3 Oct 2004, Jerry McBride wrote:
> > > I've just rediscovered gentoo-dev-sources and I find I'd like to
Snipped

Re: Removing patches... [ In reply to ]

Jerry McBride wrote:
| I've just rediscovered gentoo-dev-sources and I find I'd like to eliminate a
| patch out of the gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.8-r6 ebuild.
|

| How does one go about deleting a patch? More specificly the boot splash
| patches? I'd need to keep the vanilla framebuffer code intact and this patch
| eliminates that possibility.
|
| Any help would be appreciated.
|
| Thank you, in advance.
|
| Jerry

~From the kernel-2.eclass (which gentoo-dev-sources inherits):

# UNIPATCH_EXCLUDE - an addition var to support exlusion based completely
on "<passedstring>*" and not "<passedno#>_*"
# - this should _NOT_ be used from the ebuild as this is
reserved for end users passing excludes from the cli

Judging by this, I'd imagine you'd be able to do something like:

UNIPATCH_EXCLUDE="name_of_patch" emerge gentoo-dev-sources

I haven't tried this myself, so I cannot say if it works.

Going even further into the eclass shows that the patch just gets deleted
before patching the kernel source:

UNIPATCH_DROP="${UNIPATCH_EXCLUDE} ${UNIPATCH_DROP}"
~ for i in ${UNIPATCH_DROP}
~ do
~ for x in ${KPATCH_DIR}
~ do
~ rm -f ${x}/${i}* 2>/dev/null
~ if [ $? == 0 ]
~ then
~ einfo "Excluding Patch #${i}"
~ einfo "From: ${x/${WORKDIR}/}"
~ fi
~ done
~ done

Cheers
- --
When nothing can possibly go wrong, it will.

Aaron Walker - Gentoo Developer [ Gentoo/BSD / forensics herd ]
ka0ttic@gentoo.org http://dev.gentoo.org/~ka0ttic/

Re: Removing patches... [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 03 October 2004 11:50 pm, Norberto Bensa wrote:
> Jerry McBride wrote:
> > I'd need to keep the vanilla framebuffer code intact and this
> > patch eliminates that possibility.
>
> Why are you using a heavily patched kernel if you need unpatched code?

I only need the frame buffer code vanilla. As for the other patches, they are
quite welcomed, especially the fix for cdwriters...

Re: Removing patches... [ In reply to ]
On Monday 04 October 2004 07:49 am, brettholcomb@charter.net wrote:
> I see now. You could modify the ebuild to not apply the patch - maybe??

You know... this situation begs for s real fix. It'd be better if you could
edit the ebuild and remark out the patches you don't want or need. Kind of a
more granular control of just what patches are applied to a development
kernel....

Re: Removing patches... [ In reply to ]
I guess that's what I was getting at. Move the ebuild to your local
portage directory, edit it to skip that patch and merge it.

Re: Removing patches... [ In reply to ]