Mailing List Archive

Firefox and newegg.com
I've got Mozilla Firefox 1.0 PR installed on my computer. It seems
to work great except for two strange things:

- Connecting to newegg.com takes several minutes; all my
other favorite sites connect okay.

- Creating and deleting new tabs seems to eat an awful lot
of CPU. If I create 10 or so tabs in a row (using
Ctrl-t), my whole system will slow to a crawl until
Firefox "catches up". I never noticed this on the 0.9.x
versions.

About the connection to newegg.com: I went over to my roommate's
computer, and loaded newegg.com up just fine using Internet
Explorer. He also has Firefox 1.0 PR on his Windows box---just like
my Firefox, it took (seemingly) forever to connect to newegg.

I'm running Firefox 1.0 PR on Windows at work, and it exhibits none
of the strange behavior I've described above: tab creation is
lightning fast, and I have no problems with newegg.com.

I tried rebuilding Firefox; that had no effect. I'm using fairly
conservative compiler flags: -O2 -march=athlon-xp. My system is an
Athlon XP 2500 w/1 GB of RAM.

Has anyone else seen any strangeness like this? Any ideas as to
where I should start looking to fix these problems?

By the way, I don't know if this is related or not, but, if I do an
"emerge -pv mozilla-firefox", many of the possible USE flags are
shown twice:

[ebuild R ] net-www/mozilla-firefox-1.0_pre -debug -debug
-gnome +gtk2 +gtk2 -ipv6 +java +java -ldap -mozdevelop -moznoxft
-moznoxft -mozxmlterm +truetype -xinerama -xinerama +xprint 0 kB

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Matt

--
Matt Garman
email at: http://raw-sewage.net/index.php?file=email

Re: Firefox and newegg.com [ In reply to ]
Matt Garman wrote:
> I've got Mozilla Firefox 1.0 PR installed on my computer. It seems
> to work great except for two strange things:
>
> - Connecting to newegg.com takes several minutes; all my
> other favorite sites connect okay.

I've noticed this same thing lately, but it seems to work just fine if I specify
'www.newegg.com' instead of just 'newegg.com'. This started happening the other
day for me, a few days after I installed the PR (not right after).

--
Andrew Gaffney
Network Administrator

Re: Firefox and newegg.com [ In reply to ]
I think newegg was having trouble with their server for a few days. I
was having trouble connecting with firefox, safari, and ie.

Free image hosting at http://www.rickserver.com

Re: Firefox and newegg.com [ In reply to ]

Re: Firefox and newegg.com [ In reply to ]
Matt Garman wrote, On 03.10.2004 19:05:

> By the way, I don't know if this is related or not, but, if I do an
> "emerge -pv mozilla-firefox", many of the possible USE flags are
> shown twice:
>
> [ebuild R ] net-www/mozilla-firefox-1.0_pre -debug -debug
> -gnome +gtk2 +gtk2 -ipv6 +java +java -ldap -mozdevelop -moznoxft
> -moznoxft -mozxmlterm +truetype -xinerama -xinerama +xprint 0 kB
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks!
> Matt

Don´t worry about that. afaik it´s "a known bug" that was postponed
until portage 2.51.

It does nothing to your system.

bye Thilo

Re: Firefox and newegg.com [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 12:05:23 -0500, Matt Garman <garman@raw-sewage.net> wrote:

> I've got Mozilla Firefox 1.0 PR installed on my computer. It seems
> to work great except for two strange things:
>
> - Connecting to newegg.com takes several minutes; all my
> other favorite sites connect okay.
>
> - Creating and deleting new tabs seems to eat an awful lot
> of CPU. If I create 10 or so tabs in a row (using
> Ctrl-t), my whole system will slow to a crawl until
> Firefox "catches up". I never noticed this on the 0.9.x
> versions.

I can't duplicate any of your problems here. Are you using
mozilla-firefox-1.0_pre-r2? If not, try that.

--
/\/\
(CR) Collins Richey

Re: Firefox and newegg.com [ In reply to ]

Re: Firefox and newegg.com [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 11:38:31PM -0600, Collins Richey wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 12:05:23 -0500, Matt Garman <garman@raw-sewage.net> wrote:
> > I've got Mozilla Firefox 1.0 PR installed on my computer. It seems
> > to work great except for two strange things:
> > - Connecting to newegg.com takes several minutes; all my
> > other favorite sites connect okay.
> > - Creating and deleting new tabs seems to eat an awful lot
> > of CPU. If I create 10 or so tabs in a row (using
> > Ctrl-t), my whole system will slow to a crawl until
> > Firefox "catches up". I never noticed this on the 0.9.x
> > versions.
> I can't duplicate any of your problems here. Are you using
> mozilla-firefox-1.0_pre-r2? If not, try that.

Another poster suggested using "www.newegg.com" instead of just
"newegg.com"; that worked. Just for kicks, I just tried connecting
to "newegg.com" and the connection was as fast as ever. So I'm
assuming that newegg had some server issues on their side.

Just yesterday I upgraded to 1.0_pre-r2, and the tabbing
sluggishness seems to have gone away (or at least reduced itself
enough that I'm not bothered :). So for this problem, I figure it
was just a fluke.

Thanks!
Matt

Re: Firefox and newegg.com [ In reply to ]