Mailing List Archive

Gentoo 2004.2 Newbie & emerge resume?
Hey guys,

Just wanna say hi to the list. I'm on the way to being a gentoo newbie.

I did a stage 1 install on a Dell D600 Pentium M 1.4Ghz 512Mb Ram
laptop.

I used these parameters after scouring the net.

CFLAGS="-O3 -march=pentium3 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -falign-functions=64"
CHOST="i386-pc-linux-gnu"

Everything is happening smoothly till the "configuring your desktop' section when I tried to
emerge xorg-x11. Seems like bug #43117 was biting me.

Not knowing what to do and not knowing how to actually patch the source
(i know how to patch per se, but don't know how to use ebuilds and
stuff, even I I wanted to use xorg-x11-6.8.0.ebuild, I still don't know
how)

In the end, I just decided to _ditch_ it and used. (sad that I had so
much trouble. A _real_ newbie would've really _ditched_ it. Then again,
he/she won't use a stage 1 install right?)

USE="static" emerge xorg-x11

and it worked from there.

Funny.. xorg-x11 compilation only took like ~1+ hour on my machine.
(compilation is done in a chroot under FC2)

Currently emerging xscreensaver (will do gnome next)

Does anyone give me a clue to if it's possible to resume an emerge?? I
say emerge --resume but not sure what/how it will help.

Say.. I've emerge package 30 of 100 and suddenly its time to go home?
What happens then?

--
Ow Mun Heng
Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 on D600 1.4Ghz CPU kernel

Re: Gentoo 2004.2 Newbie & emerge resume? [ In reply to ]
Ow Mun Heng wrote:

>Not knowing what to do and not knowing how to actually patch the source
>(i know how to patch per se, but don't know how to use ebuilds and
>stuff, even I I wanted to use xorg-x11-6.8.0.ebuild, I still don't know
>how)

I'm going to take a guess here that you wanted to emerge a specific
version, i.e. in this case version 6.8.0 of the package xorg-x11. In
that case you could use:
# emerge =xorg-x11-6.8.0

Or have I misunderstood what you are trying to do?

Shawn

Re: Re: Gentoo 2004.2 Newbie & emerge resume? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 15:21, Podge wrote:
> Ow Mun Heng wrote:
>
> >Not knowing what to do and not knowing how to actually patch the source
> >(i know how to patch per se, but don't know how to use ebuilds and
> >stuff, even I I wanted to use xorg-x11-6.8.0.ebuild, I still don't know
> >how)
> >

> I'm going to take a guess here that you wanted to emerge a specific
> version, i.e. in this case version 6.8.0 of the package xorg-x11. In
> that case you could use:
> # emerge =xorg-x11-6.8.0

I think I did try that..
# emerge "=xorg-x11-6.8.0" but somehow didn't work. Or maybe the problem
lies between chair and keyboard??

But even so.. According to the bug report, I'm left with 2 choices,
either use '-hardened' or use 'static'

Not sure what is the repercussions but... For the time being, since it's
still compiling.. I'm gonna hang in there.

Lots to learn, coming from Redhat/Fedora distro.

(ps : The only reason, (okay.. one of i) why I want to try out gentoo is
I see an increasing amount of +ve things about it as well as after
trying out Yoper, which is amazingly snappy)

> Or have I misunderstood what you are trying to do?
>
> Shawn

Ow Mun Heng
Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 on D600 1.4Ghz CPU kernel
2.6.7-2.jul1-interactive
Neuromancer 15:27:37 up 1:17, 7 users, load average: 1.54, 1.85, 1.97

Re: Re: Gentoo 2004.2 Newbie & emerge resume? [ In reply to ]
Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 15:21, Podge wrote:
>
>>Ow Mun Heng wrote:
>>

>>>Not knowing what to do and not knowing how to actually patch the source
>>>(i know how to patch per se, but don't know how to use ebuilds and
>>>stuff, even I I wanted to use xorg-x11-6.8.0.ebuild, I still don't know
>>>how)
>>>

>>I'm going to take a guess here that you wanted to emerge a specific
>>version, i.e. in this case version 6.8.0 of the package xorg-x11. In
>>that case you could use:
>># emerge =xorg-x11-6.8.0
>

> I think I did try that..
> # emerge "=xorg-x11-6.8.0" but somehow didn't work. Or maybe the problem
> lies between chair and keyboard??

No, it wouldn't. If you want to emerge a specific version of a program,
you must do

emerge =categ-ory/package-version.number

In this case that would be

emerge =x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.0-r* I can't upgrade to X.org 6.8 atm as I
have ATI drivers which are incompatible. So I don't know what revision
it's currently on, though I think I recall that the unrevised version is
removed. Go to http://packages.gentoo.org/packages/?category=x11-base to
find out what is the exact package version. Oh, well, since I had to go
there anyway to get the link, it's -r1, so

emerge =x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.0-r1

Holly

Re: Re: Gentoo 2004.2 Newbie & emerge resume? [ In reply to ]
Holly Bostick wrote:
> Ow Mun Heng wrote:

>>> I'm going to take a guess here that you wanted to emerge a specific
>>> version, i.e. in this case version 6.8.0 of the package xorg-x11. In
>>> that case you could use:
>>> # emerge =xorg-x11-6.8.0
>>

>> I think I did try that..
>> # emerge "=xorg-x11-6.8.0" but somehow didn't work. Or maybe the problem
>> lies between chair and keyboard??
>

> No, it wouldn't. If you want to emerge a specific version of a program,
> you must do
>
> emerge =categ-ory/package-version.number
>
> In this case that would be
>
> emerge =x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.0-r* I can't upgrade to X.org 6.8 atm as I
> have ATI drivers which are incompatible. So I don't know what revision
> it's currently on, though I think I recall that the unrevised version is
> removed. Go to http://packages.gentoo.org/packages/?category=x11-base to
> find out what is the exact package version. Oh, well, since I had to go
> there anyway to get the link, it's -r1, so
>
> emerge =x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.0-r1
>
> Holly

Sorry to reply to myself, but I forgot to say that you would need
unstable packages unmasked if you're on x86-- if you want only this
package from unstable, then create the /etc/portage directory if it does
not exist, and then

echo 'x11-base/xorg-x11 ~x86' >>/etc/portage/package.keywords

to unmask only the unstable xorg package; if you want all unstable
packages unmasked, add ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" to /etc/make.conf.

Naturally, if you're using another architecture, change the "x86" to
your arch if necessary, but check it in the online package browser
first-- the package may not be unstable for your particular arch.

Holly

Re: Re: Gentoo 2004.2 Newbie & emerge resume? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 15:35, Holly Bostick wrote:
> Ow Mun Heng wrote:

> >>I'm going to take a guess here that you wanted to emerge a specific
> >>version, i.e. in this case version 6.8.0 of the package xorg-x11. In
> >>that case you could use:
> >># emerge =xorg-x11-6.8.0
> >

> > I think I did try that..
> > # emerge "=xorg-x11-6.8.0" but somehow didn't work. Or maybe the problem
> > lies between chair and keyboard??
>
> No, it wouldn't. If you want to emerge a specific version of a program,
> you must do
>
> emerge =categ-ory/package-version.number
I see

> In this case that would be
>
> emerge =x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.0-r* I can't upgrade to X.org 6.8 atm as I
> have ATI drivers which are incompatible.

You don't say.. Why is that? meaning if you plan on using the closed
source binary drivers?

Does that have anything to do with bug 43117? I ended up using 6.7.0 and
USE='static'

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 41715 Sep 25 16:08 xorg-x11-6.7.0-r1.ebuild
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 38142 Sep 25 16:08 xorg-x11-6.7.0-r2.ebuild
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 40185 Sep 27 09:39 xorg-x11-6.8.0.ebuild
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 41357 Sep 27 09:39 xorg-x11-6.8.0-r1.ebuild
$ pwd
/cutie/usr/portage/x11-base/xorg-x11

That's what's in the portage tree.

so..
# emerge =x11-base/xorg-x11/xorg-x11-6.8.0-r1.ebuild would suffice?

Okay.. will try it out if this does not work. I don't have a GUI desktop yet..
Currently compiling xscreensaver.

> So I don't know what revision
> it's currently on, though I think I recall that the unrevised version is
> removed. Go to http://packages.gentoo.org/packages/?category=x11-base to
> find out what is the exact package version. Oh, well, since I had to go
> there anyway to get the link, it's -r1, so
>
> emerge =x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.0-r1
>
> Holly

Ow Mun Heng
Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 on D600 1.4Ghz CPU kernel
2.6.7-2.jul1-interactive
Neuromancer 15:47:40 up 1:37, 8 users, load average: 2.60, 2.51, 2.34

Re: Re: Gentoo 2004.2 Newbie & emerge resume? [ In reply to ]
Holly Bostick wrote:

> No, it wouldn't. If you want to emerge a specific version of a
> program, you must do
>
> emerge =categ-ory/package-version.number

Sorry, I stand corrected.

> Go to http://packages.gentoo.org/packages/?category=x11-base to find
> out what is the exact package version.

I'm going to attemp to jump back in here again. If you have emerge the
gentoolkit package 'app-portage/gentoolkit', then you can use the etcat
program to query for versions of packages, i.e.

# etcat versions x11-base/xorg-x11

would show all the versions of xorg that are available. This can be
useful if your at a command line and don't want to have to fire up a
browser, or if you don't currently have an internet connection. If it
has a '~' in front of one of the versions that it is an unstable
version, and Holly's advice for how to install it would still apply.

Shawn

Re: Re: Gentoo 2004.2 Newbie & emerge resume? [ In reply to ]
Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 15:35, Holly Bostick wrote:
>
>>Ow Mun Heng wrote:

>>>I think I did try that..
>>># emerge "=xorg-x11-6.8.0" but somehow didn't work. Or maybe the problem
>>>lies between chair and keyboard??
>>
>>No, it wouldn't. If you want to emerge a specific version of a program,
>>you must do
>>
>>emerge =categ-ory/package-version.number
>
> I see
>

>>In this case that would be
>>
>>emerge =x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.0-r* I can't upgrade to X.org 6.8 atm as I
>>have ATI drivers which are incompatible.
>

> You don't say.. Why is that? meaning if you plan on using the closed
> source binary drivers?
>
> Does that have anything to do with bug 43117? I ended up using 6.7.0 and
> USE='static'

No, it has to do with bugs 63924 and 61574. OpenGL apps crash when Xorg
6.8.0 and the ati-drivers are used in combination. The current
ati-drivers don't work with xorg-6.8.0 (maybe 3.14 will, but I don't
know yet).

> so..
> # emerge =x11-base/xorg-x11/xorg-x11-6.8.0-r1.ebuild would suffice?

You don't need the *.ebuild extension. Just emerge
=x11-base/xorg-x11/xorg-x11-6.8.0-r1, as long as you've unmasked
unstable packages.

Holly

Re: Re: Gentoo 2004.2 Newbie & emerge resume? [ In reply to ]
Holly Bostick wrote:

>> so.. # emerge =x11-base/xorg-x11/xorg-x11-6.8.0-r1.ebuild would suffice?
>

> You don't need the *.ebuild extension. Just emerge
> =x11-base/xorg-x11/xorg-x11-6.8.0-r1, as long as you've unmasked
> unstable packages.
>
> Holly

Sorry, I copied and pasted without looking.

That should say

Just emerge =x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.0-r1

Holly

Re: Re: Gentoo 2004.2 Newbie & emerge resume? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 15:51, Podge wrote:
> Holly Bostick wrote:
>
> I'm going to attemp to jump back in here again. If you have emerge the
> gentoolkit package 'app-portage/gentoolkit', then you can use the etcat
> program to query for versions of packages, i.e.
>
> # etcat versions x11-base/xorg-x11
# etcat
bash: etcat: command not found
neuromancer / # whereis etcat
etcat:
neuromancer / # locate etcat | grep -w etcat
/usr/portage/app-portage/gentoolkit/files/scripts/etcat
/usr/portage/app-portage/gentoolkit/files/scripts/etcat.1

Hmm.. seems like I need to emerge it 1st. Oh well.. No internet Conn
here.

BTw, anyone to answer on how to resume an emerge? like halfway through
the compile? eg: package 30/100??

--
Ow Mun Heng
Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 on D600 1.4Ghz CPU kernel
2.6.7-2.jul1-interactive
Neuromancer 16:00:58 up 1:50, 9 users, load average: 2.83, 2.70, 2.49

Re: Re: Gentoo 2004.2 Newbie & emerge resume? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 15:54, Holly Bostick wrote:
> Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 15:35, Holly Bostick wrote:
> >

> > You don't say.. Why is that? meaning if you plan on using the closed
> > source binary drivers?
> >
> > Does that have anything to do with bug 43117? I ended up using 6.7.0 and
> > USE='static'
>
> No, it has to do with bugs 63924 and 61574. OpenGL apps crash when Xorg
> 6.8.0 and the ati-drivers are used in combination. The current
> ati-drivers don't work with xorg-6.8.0 (maybe 3.14 will, but I don't
> know yet).

Hmm.. Well, I don't know about that. My concern is bug 43117 which makes
it that I can't get X up _at_all_!

> > so..
> > # emerge =x11-base/xorg-x11/xorg-x11-6.8.0-r1.ebuild would suffice?
>
> You don't need the *.ebuild extension. Just emerge
> =x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.0-r1, as long as you've unmasked
> unstable packages.

Okay.. Thanks and I'll keep that in mind in case I want to upgrade.

but now I'll focus on gettting things compiled..

It's nice to do nice -n 19 emerge

--
Ow Mun Heng
Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 on D600 1.4Ghz CPU kernel
2.6.7-2.jul1-interactive
Neuromancer 16:11:02 up 2:00, 8 users, load average: 1.58, 1.92, 2.11

Re: Re: Gentoo 2004.2 Newbie & emerge resume? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 1 Oct 2004, Ow Mun Heng wrote:

> Hmm.. seems like I need to emerge it 1st. Oh well.. No internet Conn
> here.

emerge gentoolkit

> BTw, anyone to answer on how to resume an emerge? like halfway through
> the compile? eg: package 30/100??

See the --resume option in the man page.

--
MOTOS /moh-tohs/ n.

[.acronym from the 1970 U.S. census
forms via Usenet: Member Of The Opposite Sex] A potential or (less
often) actual sex partner. See MOTAS, MOTSS, SO
Less common than MOTSS or MOTAS, which has largely displaced
it.

Re: Re: Gentoo 2004.2 Newbie & emerge resume? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 16:13, Ajai Khattri wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Oct 2004, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
>
> > Hmm.. seems like I need to emerge it 1st. Oh well.. No internet Conn
> > here.
>
> emerge gentoolkit
>
> > BTw, anyone to answer on how to resume an emerge? like halfway through
> > the compile? eg: package 30/100??
>
> See the --resume option in the man page.

In my original post, I did mention this..
But I don't really know what the man page explains.

So.. if
# emerge -r xscreensaver

it will start at package 30 and not start at package #1?

Just to confirm.

I think I may need to do that soon.

Compilation taking long..time.. :-)

--resume
Resumes the last merge operation. Please note that this operation will only return
an error on failure. If there is nothing for portage to do, then portage will exit
with a message and a success condition.

--
Ow Mun Heng
Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 on D600 1.4Ghz CPU kernel
2.6.7-2.jul1-interactive
Neuromancer 16:28:37 up 2:18, 8 users, load average: 3.43, 2.46, 2.07

Re: Re: Gentoo 2004.2 Newbie & emerge resume? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 1 Oct 2004, Ow Mun Heng wrote:

> But I don't really know what the man page explains.
>
> So.. if
> # emerge -r xscreensaver
>
> it will start at package 30 and not start at package #1?

To be honest, Ive never used it but from my understanding this is what it
sounds like it does. I would suck it and see what happens.

BTW, I think you have to use --resume (I dont see -r documented anywhere).

--
wizardly adj.

Pertaining to wizards. A wizardly
feature is one that only a wizard could understand or use
properly.

Re: Re: Gentoo 2004.2 Newbie & emerge resume? [ In reply to ]
Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 16:13, Ajai Khattri wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 1 Oct 2004, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
>>

>>>Hmm.. seems like I need to emerge it 1st. Oh well.. No internet Conn
>>>here.
>>
>>emerge gentoolkit
>>

>>>BTw, anyone to answer on how to resume an emerge? like halfway through
>>>the compile? eg: package 30/100??
>>
>>See the --resume option in the man page.
>

> In my original post, I did mention this..
> But I don't really know what the man page explains.
>
> So.. if
> # emerge -r xscreensaver
>
> it will start at package 30 and not start at package #1?
>
> Just to confirm.

No, that's not how it works. Just use emerge --resume to resume the last
emerge that was stopped-in-progress for whatever reason (you may have
stopped it manually, or one of the emerges may have stopped the entire
list because of an error; doesn't matter).

When you type emerge --resume, the last emerge that was in progress will
start, so if that was package 10 of 215, then that's where it will start.

This only will work for the emerge last done before you tried to resume,
afaik. If you have done another emerge in the meantime, and that
completed, there's nothing to resume anymore.

Further, if the reason the emerge list stopped was because one of the
packages had an error, you can use emerge --resume --skipfirst to jump
over the problem package and do the rest of the packages (which should
all emerge, unless they depended on the package that failed. In which
case you could just emerge --resume --skipfirst again to jump over the
second package, and fix the problem when the other emerges were done,
and re-emerge the original packages that failed separately).

Holly

Re: Re: Gentoo 2004.2 Newbie & emerge resume? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 17:19, Holly Bostick wrote:
> Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 16:13, Ajai Khattri wrote:
> >
> > In my original post, I did mention this..
> > But I don't really know what the man page explains.
> >
> > So.. if
> > # emerge -r xscreensaver
> >
> > it will start at package 30 and not start at package #1?

> No, that's not how it works. Just use emerge --resume to resume the last
> emerge that was stopped-in-progress for whatever reason (you may have
> stopped it manually, or one of the emerges may have stopped the entire
> list because of an error; doesn't matter).

Ok

> When you type emerge --resume, the last emerge that was in progress will
> start, so if that was package 10 of 215, then that's where it will start.

What if we're running in a chroot env? Will it retain it's memory or
something?

> This only will work for the emerge last done before you tried to resume,
> afaik. If you have done another emerge in the meantime, and that
> completed, there's nothing to resume anymore.
>
> Further, if the reason the emerge list stopped was because one of the
> packages had an error, you can use emerge --resume --skipfirst to jump
> over the problem package and do the rest of the packages (which should
> all emerge, unless they depended on the package that failed. In which
> case you could just emerge --resume --skipfirst again to jump over the
> second package, and fix the problem when the other emerges were done,
> and re-emerge the original packages that failed separately).

This info came at a very oppurtune time. emerge xscreensaver just failed
miserably for some reason. using
# emerge --resume --skipfirst

to skip over it and then I'll try

# emerge =x11-misc/xscreensaver-4.16

Correct? (since another post I mentioned about the problem with 4.15
compilation hanging at kerberos.

--
Ow Mun Heng
Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 on D600 1.4Ghz CPU kernel
2.6.7-2.jul1-interactive
Neuromancer 18:02:42 up 3:52, 8 users, load average: 0.85, 0.42, 0.41