this or point me toward some good docs? I'm setting this up for a
single domain on its webserver.

- Grant

Re: awstats and webapps [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, Grant wrote:

> I'm having trouble figuring out how awstats works now that I've
> emerged it and set up the conf file. I think this may be because I'm
> not sure what the whole webapps thing is all about. I noticed a lot
> of awstats files under /usr/share/webapps. Can someone fill me in on
> this or point me toward some good docs? I'm setting this up for a
> single domain on its webserver.

A lot of packages install documentation under /usr/share/doc - you might
try looking there or run "etcat files awstats |more" to check.

BTW, if you're interested in web stats, you may also like to try out
analog with reportmagic.

--
Aj.
Sys. Admin / Developer

Re: awstats and webapps [ In reply to ]
errr have you tried google? it led me here http://awstats.sourceforge.net/docs/index.html
in about 2 minutes - does that explain it?

Re: awstats and webapps [ In reply to ]

Re: Re: awstats and webapps [ In reply to ]
> All gentoo web-application will be installed under /usr/share/webapps.
> At least if they are using the webapps framework. But it is required for
> all new webapp ebuilds and the old ones are being converted.
>
> If you emerge a web application and you do not have the "vhost" use flag
> set then the application will be automatically installed into your
> standard web server directory (which is /var/www/localhost by default).
> This installation is either done by copying all or linking all files
> from /usr/share/webapp/yourwebapp/version/ into the web directory
> (depending on the VHOST_LINK_TYPE in /etc/vhosts/webapp-config).

I definitely did not use the vhosts USE flag, but nothing was
installed to /var/www/localhost and everything was installed to
/usr/share/webapp. It sounds like webapp-config is for vhosters, but
that's not me. How would you suggest I get this running for a single
domain / single machine?

- Grant

Re: awstats and webapps [ In reply to ]

Re: Re: awstats and webapps [ In reply to ]
> | I definitely did not use the vhosts USE flag, but nothing was
> | installed to /var/www/localhost and everything was installed to
> | /usr/share/webapp. It sounds like webapp-config is for vhosters, but
> | that's not me. How would you suggest I get this running for a single
> | domain / single machine?
> |
> Hi Grant,
>
> webapp-config is meant to be used by everyone even though its main
> benefits are for vhosters.
>
> Actually I might have been wrong about the /var/www/localhost. Depening
> on how you set your hostname it might also be in /var/www/yourhostname.
> The settings for webapp-config can be found in
> /etc/vhosts/webapp-config. There is a root directory setting there that
> will control where the applications will get installed.
>
> But as long as you do not use the vhosts flag the installation to that
> directory happens automatically. What are the last messages you get from
> your emerge command?
>
> Regards
>
> Gunnar

Hi Gunnar,

Thanks a lot for your help. The last message I got from emerge was:

-----
Copy the /etc/awstats/awstats.model.conf to
/etc/awstats/awstats.<yourdomain>.conf and edit.
use the command
webapp-config
to install awstats for each virtual host. See proper man page
-----

I'd like to avoid the webapp-config stuff if I won't benefit from it.
How can I get awstats to install in the right place? I didn't use the
vhost USE flag.

- Grant