Sep 30 11:28:18 [imapd-ssl] Failed to create cache file: maildirwatch (biz)

It looks like I need to be running something called fam and according
to this post I may need something called portmapper too:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/redhat-list/2003-July/msg01567.html

I'm a little wary of starting up daemons I never read about in all the
email setup instructions I read. What do you guys think?

- Grant

P.S. postfix + courier-imap-ssl + squirrelmail

Re: Messages in /var/log/mail/current [ In reply to ]
Grant wrote:
> I'm getting a ton of messages like this:
>
> Sep 30 11:28:18 [imapd-ssl] Error: Input/output error
> Sep 30 11:28:18 [imapd-ssl] Check for proper operation and configuration
> Sep 30 11:28:18 [imapd-ssl] of the File Access Monitor daemon (famd).
> Sep 30 11:28:18 [imapd-ssl] Failed to create cache file: maildirwatch (biz)
>
> It looks like I need to be running something called fam and according
> to this post I may need something called portmapper too:
>
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/redhat-list/2003-July/msg01567.html
>
> I'm a little wary of starting up daemons I never read about in all the
> email setup instructions I read. What do you guys think?
>
> - Grant
>
> P.S. postfix + courier-imap-ssl + squirrelmail

The FAM daemon (famd) is, as noted, the File Access Monitor. It allows
file managers and the like to know that the contents of a directory have
changed in realtime (so you don't have to refresh the directory in order
to see the new files it contains). You probably want it running.

Portmap:

NAME
portmap - DARPA port to RPC program number mapper
SYNOPSIS
portmap [-d ] [-v ]
DESCRIPTION
Portmap is a server that converts RPC program numbers into DARPA
protocol port numbers. It must be running in order to make RPC calls.

When an RPC server is started, it will tell portmap what port number it
is listening to, and what RPC program numbers it is prepared to serve.
When a client wishes to make an RPC call to a given program number, it
will first contact portmap on the server machine to determine the port
number where RPC packets should be sent.

Portmap must be started before any RPC servers are invoked.

So if these servers are RPC (Remote Procedure Call) servers, which I
would expect they are (I don't run any mail servers), you would need
portmap to manage the port mappings that they are using (as well as the
port mappings other daemons may be using, so that things don't crash
into each other).

You probably need/want this one, too.

Hope this helps.

Holly