for the X Window System I automatical thought it as
X11. Should I have done it on Xorg?
Wayne

Re: X11 vs. Xorg [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 29 September 2004 08:18, David García Pérez wrote:
> when you installed your gentoo Linux?... because right now by default
> installs xorg... so maybe you have xorg already installed... anyway...
> XFree is going to be deleted from the portage tree next year... so you
> maybe can start using Xorg... but there is no too much difference
> between Xorg and XFree... since Xorg is based in the last version of
> XFree with a nice license... XOrg 6.8 will add nice features when it
> comes out... like real transparency...
>
> David GP

If Xorg was installed should it have start when I entered "startx?
It did not start so I emerge X11 from my GRP Package CD.
Wayne

Re: X11 vs. Xorg [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 29 September 2004 08:20, Holly Bostick wrote:
> Spencer wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I notice alot of chatter on Xorg and decided to do a google
> > search,I never hear of Xorg mention before on other groups
> > I follow until I came to gentoo.When I did my emerge
> > for the X Window System I automatical thought it as
> > X11. Should I have done it on Xorg?
> > Wayne
>
> You probably did do it as X.org (unless you specifically installed
> x11-base/xfree and not x11-base/x11/xorg), but one way that you can find
> out which X server you have installed by running the command 'X
> -version' in a terminal.
>
> Holly

I tried running the commad "X -version" the reply-
bash: X: command not found
Wayne

Re: X11 vs. Xorg [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 29 September 2004 08:30, David García Pérez wrote:
> yeah... startx is the same for XFree and Xorg... check X -version
> thing... or what file are you editing to configure it... xorg.conf or
> XFree4.conf (or something like it... I don't remember the name ;))....
>
> David GP
Because I did not think I had the X Window System, I have not
looked at the xorg.conf yet. Definitly need some more read here.
Wayne

Re: X11 vs. Xorg [ In reply to ]

Re: X11 vs. Xorg [ In reply to ]

Re: X11 vs. Xorg [ In reply to ]

Re: X11 vs. Xorg [ In reply to ]
If you want to get the best of your hardware... you will need to
configure your xorg.conf file or your xfree4.conf file... those files
are in /etc/X11

David GP

Re: X11 vs. Xorg [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 30 September 2004 02:36, Robert Svoboda wrote:
> * Spencer <infotechsys@pivot.net> [2004-09-29 17:40]:
> [...]
>
> > I tried running the commad "X -version" the reply-
> > bash: X: command not found
>
> X lives here /usr/X11R6/bin/X
> try to run this:
>
> /usr/X11R6/bin/X -version
>
> If there is xorg.conf you've X.org installed, if there is
> XFree86-4 or similar you have XFree.
>
> Robert

After running the commands /usr/X11R6/bin/X or
/usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg I get the same output.With some
of the output missing it basically said that I have Release 6.7.
Is this the transition version to get to release 6.8?When
visiting the the Freedesktop.org I see that they released 6.8.
I'm still not sure what version I have, but I'm going to assume,
based on some of the email replies, that I have Xorg.
Still trying to track what version I have I ran the following "find'
command:
find / -name 'Xorg.conf' -print no replies.
find / -name '*XFree*' -print a few replies,but no config files
When I ran the initial install was the config file built?
Wayne

Re: X11 vs. Xorg [ In reply to ]
* Spencer <infotechsys@pivot.net> [2004-09-29 17:40]:
[...]
> I tried running the commad "X -version" the reply-
> bash: X: command not found

X lives here /usr/X11R6/bin/X
try to run this:

/usr/X11R6/bin/X -version

or run this command:

ls -la /etc/X11/

Re: X11 vs. Xorg [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 11:36:35 +0200, Robert Svoboda wrote:

> ls -la /etc/X11/
>
> If there is xorg.conf you've X.org installed, if there is
> XFree86-4 or similar you have XFree.

That's not reliable, because xorg will use XF86Config if xorg.xconf is
not present.

--
Neil Bothwick

Like Entropy, bugs can only be created, not destroyed.
Re: X11 vs. Xorg [ In reply to ]

> After running the commands /usr/X11R6/bin/X or
> /usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg I get the same output.With some
> of the output missing it basically said that I have Release 6.7.
> Is this the transition version to get to release 6.8?When
> visiting the the Freedesktop.org I see that they released 6.8.
> I'm still not sure what version I have,

You have xorg 6.7... 6.8 is not yet defined as stable in the gentoo
distribution, although X.org says that the version 6.8 is stable, and
it probably is, gentoo developers will realese it as stable as soon as
they determine and solve all the conflicts with other packages that
will be affected by the installation of xorg, i.e. Kde, gnome, etc...
it is going to take a while... since a lot of things use the x system
to work... as usual... you can force gentoo to install xorg 6.8... but
maybe you have problems with it... that is your personal call...

>but I'm going to assume,
> based on some of the email replies, that I have Xorg.
> Still trying to track what version I have I ran the following "find'
> command:
> find / -name 'Xorg.conf' -print no replies.
> find / -name '*XFree*' -print a few replies,but no config files
> When I ran the initial install was the config file built?

you are writting the file wrong... the file name is "xorg.conf"
without capital letters... this files is in the next place;
"/etc/X11/xorg.conf"

David GP