and then use mozilla-thunderbird to read the local mail.
but mozilla-thunderbird cannot use maildir-format mails,
so i will have to install an imap server....

i'd like to use one that's easy to configure, and does not eats a lot of
memory.

any recommendations?

thanks,
gabor

Re: a simple and small imap server? [ In reply to ]
On 09/28/2004 01:03 AM, Gábor Farkas wrote:
> hi,
>
> i want to run a local imap server on my laptop.
>
> reason:
> i want to use offlineimap to sync mail from my remote imap server to my
> laptop,
> and then use mozilla-thunderbird to read the local mail.
> but mozilla-thunderbird cannot use maildir-format mails,
> so i will have to install an imap server....
>
> i'd like to use one that's easy to configure, and does not eats a lot of
> memory.
>
> any recommendations?
>
> thanks,
> gabor

I've heard good things about dovecot IMAPd (net-mail/dovecot, [1]) which
uses the mbox-format to store mails. If you want to stick to maildir,
you might consider courier-imap useful.

Have you also thought about a thunderbird extension, which would allow
you to read your mails offline / use disconnected IMAP like [2]?

[1]: http://dovecot.org/
[2]: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/specs/offline.html

Jochen

Re: a simple and small imap server? [ In reply to ]
> i want to run a local imap server on my laptop.
> i'd like to use one that's easy to configure, and does not eats a lot of
> memory.
>
> any recommendations?

I use uw-imap. Almost no setting up required and has worked without a hitch
for ages.

Does anyone know how performance compares with dovecot??

Re: Re: a simple and small imap server? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 08:04:41AM +1000, Robert S wrote:
> > i want to run a local imap server on my laptop.
> > i'd like to use one that's easy to configure, and does not eats a lot of
> > memory.
> >
> > any recommendations?
> >
> I use uw-imap. Almost no setting up required and has worked without a hitch
> for ages.

uw-imap doesn't support maildirs AFAIK. That is why I use courier-imap
which has served me well.

Re: Re: a simple and small imap server? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, Robert S wrote:

> I use uw-imap. Almost no setting up required and has worked without a hitch
> for ages.

Though, using maildirs is better when you start to have many folders with
thousands of messages so courier-imap would be a better choice. uw-imap
runs like frozen molasses when managing big mboxes.

--
deep hack mode n.

See hack mode.

Re: a simple and small imap server? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 01:40:20 +0200, Jochen Schalanda
<jochen@schalanda.de> wrote:
> I've heard good things about dovecot IMAPd (net-mail/dovecot, [1]) which
> uses the mbox-format to store mails. If you want to stick to maildir,
> you might consider courier-imap useful.

Dovecot supports a number of formats. At my last job I had it quite
happily serving mail out of $HOME/Maildir/

--
David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk><http://blog.dorward.me.uk>

Re: a simple and small imap server? [ In reply to ]
Gábor Farkas wrote:

>i'd like to use one that's easy to configure, and does not eats a lot of
>memory.
>
>any recommendations?

You might want to look at bincimap (in portage). I have been using it
for quite a while, and it works very well. It uses maildir only, is
small and very simple to configure. I have also found it to be very
reliable.