Mailing List Archive

RealPlayer 10 Prob.: won't emerge
Someone gave me the URL to install RealPlayer10 Gold in Gentoo ...and it
doesn't work. Fact is, after copying/pasting the actual command line
instructions up to and including the actual emerge operation, I get four
masked packages ...all of which are listed in the Manifest which temporarily
resides in /usr/local/portage/media-video:
realplayer-bin-0.3.0.120.ebuild 1213
realplayer-bin-0.4.0.186.ebuild 1030
realplayer-bin-0.4.0.186-r1.ebuild 1312
realplayer-bin-10.0.1.366.ebuild 1035
realplayer-bin-10.0.0.297.ebuild 1132

I need this someone who says he/she successfully installed RP10Gold to please
give me a hand fingering this out. I invoked 'emerge sync' yesterday, if
that makes any difference.

I was a bit skeptical when I was asked to put files in places other than the
norm, but figured it was to temporarily trick portage. Well... portage
wasn't fooled, apparently. Since I used RP10 S-F on the other distro, I am
lost w/o it on Gentoo.

Thanks...
--
..."Yogi" CH
Namasté Yoga Studio

Re: RealPlayer 10 Prob.: won't emerge [ In reply to ]
C Hamel wrote:
> Someone gave me the URL to install RealPlayer10 Gold in Gentoo ...and it
> doesn't work. Fact is, after copying/pasting the actual command line
> instructions up to and including the actual emerge operation, I get four
> masked packages
If you gave us the URL containing the instructions you used, and/or were
more informative as to what exactly happened when you followed them, we
might be more able to help.

We're not psychic, you know ;) .

Holly

Re: RealPlayer 10 Prob.: won't emerge [ In reply to ]
On Monday 27 September 2004 10:13, Holly Bostick wrote:
> C Hamel wrote:
> > Someone gave me the URL to install RealPlayer10 Gold in Gentoo ...and it
> > doesn't work. Fact is, after copying/pasting the actual command line
> > instructions up to and including the actual emerge operation, I get four
> > masked packages
>
> If you gave us the URL containing the instructions you used, and/or were
> more informative as to what exactly happened when you followed them, we
> might be more able to help.
>
> We're not psychic, you know ;) .
>
> Holly

Well... *excuse_me* <LOL> I thought I *was* specific enough when I detailed
what happened. I was hoping the person who supplied the URL would see this
as he/she said it worked great. Found the e-mail address. I'll just ask
him. Thanks, anyhow.
--
..."Yogi" CH
Namasté Yoga Studio

Re: RealPlayer 10 Prob.: won't emerge [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 03:33, C Hamel wrote:
> On Monday 27 September 2004 10:13, Holly Bostick wrote:
> > C Hamel wrote:
> > > Someone gave me the URL to install RealPlayer10 Gold in Gentoo ...and it
> > > doesn't work. Fact is, after copying/pasting the actual command line
> > > instructions up to and including the actual emerge operation, I get four
> > > masked packages
> >
> > If you gave us the URL containing the instructions you used, and/or were
> > more informative as to what exactly happened when you followed them, we
> > might be more able to help.
> >
> > We're not psychic, you know ;) .
> >
> > Holly
> >
> > --
> Well... *excuse_me* <LOL> I thought I *was* specific enough when I detailed
> what happened. I was hoping the person who supplied the URL would see this
> as he/she said it worked great. Found the e-mail address. I'll just ask
> him. Thanks, anyhow.

Well excuse us too, but whoever posted the url is not necessarily going
to check back here on a daily basis to see whether you managed to follow
the instructions.

FWIW the url was here:

http://www.gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_RealPlayer10Gold

you need to install as you would for any other masked package (ok i
don't think that is on the page referred to, but the wiki has a page on
it IIRC

(hint 1 use ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86")
(hint 2 edit /etc/portage/package.keywords)

it worked for me.

Re: RealPlayer 10 Prob.: won't emerge [ In reply to ]
Nick Rout wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 03:33, C Hamel wrote:

>>>If you gave us the URL containing the instructions you used, and/or were
>>>more informative as to what exactly happened when you followed them, we
>>>might be more able to help.
>>>
>>>We're not psychic, you know ;) .
>>>
>>>Holly
>>>
>>>--
>>
>>Well... *excuse_me* <LOL> I thought I *was* specific enough when I detailed
>>what happened. I was hoping the person who supplied the URL would see this
>>as he/she said it worked great. Found the e-mail address. I'll just ask
>>him. Thanks, anyhow.
>

> Well excuse us too, but whoever posted the url is not necessarily going
> to check back here on a daily basis to see whether you managed to follow
> the instructions.
>
> FWIW the url was here:
>
> http://www.gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_RealPlayer10Gold
>
> you need to install as you would for any other masked package (ok i
> don't think that is on the page referred to, but the wiki has a page on
> it IIRC
>
> (hint 1 use ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86")
> (hint 2 edit /etc/portage/package.keywords)
>
> it worked for me.

Yes, I don't see any problem with the instructions, either-- nothing
much different than what you would do if you were installing an ebuild
posted on Bugzilla or BMG. Which I admit is a bit outside of normal
circumstances for stable arch users, but not a big deal for a single
package.

About the only thing I see that might be "wrong" is the instruction to
change make.conf to ~arch, when you're also instructed to use a
package-specific exception in /etc/portage/package.keywords. Editing
both files is not necessary if you're on stable and want to remain on
stable for the majority of your packages and only have this one be
unstable. Instead, one should choose one or the other to edit; if you
want to go totally ~arch, edit /etc/make.conf; if you only want to go
~arch for this particular package, edit /etc/portage/package.keywords.

The only thing really of note is that Realplayer packages have fetch
restrictions, so you have to put the packages themselves in
/usr/portage/distfiles.

But since C never actually told us what went wrong (if anything did in
fact go wrong, and he(?) was not just alarmed by dealing with an OVERLAY
package, as the original post implies), we can't really help much, and
since C has retreated back to SuSE due to some freaky Synaptics driver
problem involving files and their backups disappearing (!!!), it doesn't
really matter ultimately, unless someone else is having a similar
problem installing.

Holly

Re: RealPlayer 10 Prob.: won't emerge [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 13:51:30 +0200, Holly Bostick <motub@planet.nl> wrote:

> Nick Rout wrote:

> > FWIW the url was here:
> >
> > http://www.gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_RealPlayer10Gold
> >
> > you need to install as you would for any other masked package (ok i
> > don't think that is on the page referred to, but the wiki has a page on
> > it IIRC
> >
> > (hint 1 use ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86")
> > (hint 2 edit /etc/portage/package.keywords)
> >
> > it worked for me.
> >

> The only thing really of note is that Realplayer packages have fetch
> restrictions, so you have to put the packages themselves in
> /usr/portage/distfiles.

It worked for me, too. One note of significance. The url styles itself
RealPlayer, but it's really an install of the helix opensource variant
of RealPlayer, so you don't need to access RealPlayer for anything.

--
/\/\
(CR) Collins Richey

Re: RealPlayer 10 Prob.: won't emerge [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 08:05, Collins Richey wrote:
> > > FWIW the url was here:
> > >
> > > http://www.gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_RealPlayer10Gold
> > >
> > > you need to install as you would for any other masked package (ok i
> > > don't think that is on the page referred to, but the wiki has a page on
> > > it IIRC
> > >
> > > (hint 1 use ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86")
> > > (hint 2 edit /etc/portage/package.keywords)
> > >
> > > it worked for me.
> > >

> > The only thing really of note is that Realplayer packages have fetch
> > restrictions, so you have to put the packages themselves in
> > /usr/portage/distfiles.
> >

> It worked for me, too. One note of significance. The url styles itself
> RealPlayer, but it's really an install of the helix opensource variant
> of RealPlayer, so you don't need to access RealPlayer for anything.

As the author of the ebuild in question, I can help. (Although the
gentoo-wiki instructions are about as clear as can be)

Anyhow, I've updated the ebuild for the latest release of 10.0.1 GOLD.
Since the Helix Community website no longer requires you to login and
agree to a license agreement to download the file, I've also turned off
the fetch restriction in the latest ebuild.

Regards,
Paul

--
My Gentoo stuff: http://varnerfamily.org/pvarner/gentoo