Mailing List Archive

nvidia module won't load
A couple days ago I did an emerge -avuD world, and now I can't get X
to start. After doing some debugging I noticed that the nvidia kernel
module wasn't loading. I don't have access to the machine at the
moment, but the error was something like "incorrect module format".

I made sure my /usr/src/linux symlink was correct, re-emerged
nvidia-kernel, and got the same error when trying to modprobe it. I
also tried reverting back to the older driver, but got the same error.

Any ideas why this might be happening? I haven't recompiled my kernel
in a few weeks, so it shouldn't be that.

Relevant info I can remember off the top of my head:

2.6.8-r1
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS='~x86'
Intel P4 2.2 Ghz Dell Laptop
Geforce 4 (don't remember exact model)

I tried doing an esync and emerge -avuD world again yesterday, but was
getting a block on callgrind (wanted by gdb I think) so I didn't end
up updating anything.

Thanks!
-Andy

Re: nvidia module won't load [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 09:47:26 -0400, Andy Herrman <aherrman@gmail.com> wrote:
> A couple days ago I did an emerge -avuD world, and now I can't get X
> to start. After doing some debugging I noticed that the nvidia kernel
> module wasn't loading. I don't have access to the machine at the
> moment, but the error was something like "incorrect module format".

Have you switched to nptl?

--
ciao,
cj

Re: nvidia module won't load [ In reply to ]
Andy Herrman wrote:
> A couple days ago I did an emerge -avuD world, and now I can't get X
> to start. After doing some debugging I noticed that the nvidia kernel
> module wasn't loading. I don't have access to the machine at the
> moment, but the error was something like "incorrect module format".

Check you /etc/X11/xorg.cfg

make sure that the driver section is referencing nv not nvidia (or
vice-versa)

> I made sure my /usr/src/linux symlink was correct, re-emerged
> nvidia-kernel, and got the same error when trying to modprobe it. I
> also tried reverting back to the older driver, but got the same error.
>
> Any ideas why this might be happening? I haven't recompiled my kernel
> in a few weeks, so it shouldn't be that.
>
> Relevant info I can remember off the top of my head:
>
> 2.6.8-r1
> ACCEPT_KEYWORDS='~x86'
> Intel P4 2.2 Ghz Dell Laptop
> Geforce 4 (don't remember exact model)
>
> I tried doing an esync and emerge -avuD world again yesterday, but was
> getting a block on callgrind (wanted by gdb I think) so I didn't end
> up updating anything.
>
> Thanks!
> -Andy

(___) Joel Merrick
(o o) www.joelmerrick.com
/-------\ / www.connectedup.co.uk
/ | ||O
* ||,---|| GO ON LARRY SON!!
~~ ~~

Re: nvidia module won't load [ In reply to ]
> Andy Herrman wrote:
>> A couple days ago I did an emerge -avuD world, and now I can't get X
>> to start. After doing some debugging I noticed that the nvidia kernel
>> module wasn't loading. I don't have access to the machine at the
>> moment, but the error was something like "incorrect module format".
>>

> Check you /etc/X11/xorg.cfg
>
> make sure that the driver section is referencing nv not nvidia (or
> vice-versa)

If he's emerged "nvidia-kernel", he'll want to use "nvidia", not "nv".

Mairte...

--
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
.~.
Re: nvidia module won't load [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 14:54:01 +0100, Joel Merrick <joel@joelmerrick.com> wrote:

> Check you /etc/X11/xorg.cfg
>
> make sure that the driver section is referencing nv not nvidia (or
> vice-versa)

This shouldn't have anything to do with my xorg.cfg. I'm trying to
manually modprobe the driver and it's failing (modprobe nvidia).

But why change to nv? Did they change the driver name again?

-Andy

Re: nvidia module won't load [ In reply to ]
Andy Herrman wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 14:54:01 +0100, Joel Merrick <joel@joelmerrick.com> wrote:
>
>>Check you /etc/X11/xorg.cfg
>>
>>make sure that the driver section is referencing nv not nvidia (or
>>vice-versa)
>>

> This shouldn't have anything to do with my xorg.cfg. I'm trying to
> manually modprobe the driver and it's failing (modprobe nvidia).
>
> But why change to nv? Did they change the driver name again?

I had EXACTLY the same issue as you, after an emerge -Ud world. I
*think* this is what I did to fix, I'm pretty sure, though it was late,
lol.. I will let you know when I'm back in front of the machine in question.

> -Andy

(___) Joel Merrick
(o o) www.joelmerrick.com
/-------\ / www.connectedup.co.uk
/ | ||O
* ||,---|| GO ON LARRY SON!!
~~ ~~

Re: nvidia module won't load [ In reply to ]
Joel Merrick wrote:

> Andy Herrman wrote:
>
>> A couple days ago I did an emerge -avuD world, and now I can't get X
>> to start. After doing some debugging I noticed that the nvidia kernel
>> module wasn't loading. I don't have access to the machine at the
>> moment, but the error was something like "incorrect module format".
>>

> Check you /etc/X11/xorg.cfg
>
> make sure that the driver section is referencing nv not nvidia (or
> vice-versa)
>

>> I made sure my /usr/src/linux symlink was correct, re-emerged
>> nvidia-kernel, and got the same error when trying to modprobe it. I
>> also tried reverting back to the older driver, but got the same error.
>>
>> Any ideas why this might be happening? I haven't recompiled my kernel
>> in a few weeks, so it shouldn't be that.

You did reemerge nvidia-glx too? That *may* have been the fix.. I'll let
you know when I get home, lol

>> Relevant info I can remember off the top of my head:
>>
>> 2.6.8-r1
>> ACCEPT_KEYWORDS='~x86'
>> Intel P4 2.2 Ghz Dell Laptop
>> Geforce 4 (don't remember exact model)
>>
>> I tried doing an esync and emerge -avuD world again yesterday, but was
>> getting a block on callgrind (wanted by gdb I think) so I didn't end
>> up updating anything.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> -Andy
>>
>> --

(___) Joel Merrick
(o o) www.joelmerrick.com
/-------\ / www.connectedup.co.uk
/ | ||O
* ||,---|| GO ON LARRY SON!!
~~ ~~

Re: nvidia module won't load [ In reply to ]
Joel Merrick wrote:

> Joel Merrick wrote:
>
>> Andy Herrman wrote:
>>
>>> A couple days ago I did an emerge -avuD world, and now I can't get X
>>> to start. After doing some debugging I noticed that the nvidia kernel
>>> module wasn't loading. I don't have access to the machine at the
>>> moment, but the error was something like "incorrect module format".
>>>

>> Check you /etc/X11/xorg.cfg
>>
>> make sure that the driver section is referencing nv not nvidia (or
>> vice-versa)
>>

>>> I made sure my /usr/src/linux symlink was correct, re-emerged
>>> nvidia-kernel, and got the same error when trying to modprobe it. I
>>> also tried reverting back to the older driver, but got the same error.
>>>
>>> Any ideas why this might be happening? I haven't recompiled my kernel
>>> in a few weeks, so it shouldn't be that.
>

> You did reemerge nvidia-glx too? That *may* have been the fix.. I'll let
> you know when I get home, lol

Actually I am pretty sure that it was the remerge of nvidia-glx that
sorted it..

I think it's due to the updated linux headers, but I'm sure there's
other reasons.. I don't know why remerging the nvidia-kernel module
failed to give a usable module..

I'll report back in a few hours anyhow..

>>> Relevant info I can remember off the top of my head:
>>>
>>> 2.6.8-r1
>>> ACCEPT_KEYWORDS='~x86'
>>> Intel P4 2.2 Ghz Dell Laptop
>>> Geforce 4 (don't remember exact model)
>>>
>>> I tried doing an esync and emerge -avuD world again yesterday, but was
>>> getting a block on callgrind (wanted by gdb I think) so I didn't end
>>> up updating anything.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> -Andy
>>>
>>> --

(___) Joel Merrick
(o o) www.joelmerrick.com
/-------\ / www.connectedup.co.uk
/ | ||O
* ||,---|| GO ON LARRY SON!!
~~ ~~

Re: nvidia module won't load [ In reply to ]
I re-emerged both nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx. I tend to do them at
the same time.

Re: nvidia module won't load [ In reply to ]
On Monday 27 September 2004 09:17 am, Joel Merrick wrote:
> >>Check you /etc/X11/xorg.cfg
> >>
> >>make sure that the driver section is referencing nv not nvidia (or
> >>vice-versa)
> >
> > This shouldn't have anything to do with my xorg.cfg. I'm trying to
> > manually modprobe the driver and it's failing (modprobe nvidia).
> >
> > But why change to nv? Did they change the driver name again?
>
> I had EXACTLY the same issue as you, after an emerge -Ud world. I
> *think* this is what I did to fix, I'm pretty sure, though it was late,
> [LAME OUT LOUD] I will let you know when I'm back in front of the machine in
> question.

well, of course, because it's not using the nvidia driver anymore. This may
get X to start but it doesn't fix the underlying problem that you clearly
missed from his first email: he can't load his nvidia module.

-Jeremy

jeremy@inter7.com ++ www.inter7.com ++ 866.528.3530 ++ 815.776.9465 int'l
kitchen @ #qmail #gentoo on EFnet ++ scriptkitchen.com/qmail
GnuPG Key ID: 481BF7E2 ++ scriptkitchen.com/kitchen.asc
Re: nvidia module won't load [ In reply to ]
Jeremy Kitchen wrote:

>>>This shouldn't have anything to do with my xorg.cfg. I'm trying to
>>>manually modprobe the driver and it's failing (modprobe nvidia).
>>>
>>>But why change to nv? Did they change the driver name again?
>>>

>>I had EXACTLY the same issue as you, after an emerge -Ud world. I
>>*think* this is what I did to fix, I'm pretty sure, though it was late,
>>[LAME OUT LOUD] I will let you know when I'm back in front of the machine in
>>question.
>>

>well, of course, because it's not using the nvidia driver anymore. This may
>get X to start but it doesn't fix the underlying problem that you clearly
>missed from his first email: he can't load his nvidia module.
>
>-Jeremy

Ok, I clearly missed that one..

However this issue still exists, but it's nicer to troubleshoot in X
than console ;)

Do you have anything constructive to add? Any pointers?

Re: nvidia module won't load [ In reply to ]
On пн, 2004-09-27 at 21:48, Joel Merrick wrote:
> Jeremy Kitchen wrote:

> >>I had EXACTLY the same issue as you, after an emerge -Ud world. I
> >>*think* this is what I did to fix, I'm pretty sure, though it was late,
> >>[LAME OUT LOUD] I will let you know when I'm back in front of the machine in
> >>question.
> >>

> >well, of course, because it's not using the nvidia driver anymore. This may
> >get X to start but it doesn't fix the underlying problem that you clearly
> >missed from his first email: he can't load his nvidia module.
> >
> >-Jeremy
> >

> Ok, I clearly missed that one..
>
> However this issue still exists, but it's nicer to troubleshoot in X
> than console ;)
>
> Do you have anything constructive to add? Any pointers?

A day or two ago had quite the same problem. Solved it only partly
tough.
Using kernel-2.6.7-r8 /hardened/ and couldn't load the nvidia module
even after rebuilding it etc. etc. Checked the linux-link to the src all
i could think of /opengl-update nvidia/.
Needed to recompile the kernel to include some things more and after
that nvidia-module began loading OK /was sitting in modules-autoload/.
Very strange isn't it.
The bad part is that now can't get GLX to load and work /it used to/.
Tried some settings in xorg.conf but still no success.
HTH
Rumen
Re: nvidia module won't load [ In reply to ]
At the moment I'm just thinking of re-compiling my kernel and seeing
what happens. I haven't done that in a while anyway (and I'll be
re-installing gentoo on my desktop machine anyway, so I'll already be
in that mindset). I still want to know what broke it though. Why
would the module be the incorrect format? So confused...

-Andy

Re: nvidia module won't load [ In reply to ]
Andy Herrman wrote:

> At the moment I'm just thinking of re-compiling my kernel and seeing
> what happens. I haven't done that in a while anyway (and I'll be
> re-installing gentoo on my desktop machine anyway, so I'll already be
> in that mindset). I still want to know what broke it though. Why
> would the module be the incorrect format? So confused...

could it be your modutils? make sure you're using module-init-tools:

qpkg -f /sbin/modprobe
qpkg -f /sbin/insmod

also, did the ebuild create a module with the .ko extension? If not,
then it may have built a module for a 2.4 kernel.

Are you running x86_64? (amd64) If so, I had to add the following to get
the cloop module to compile:

-mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel

Re: nvidia module won't load [ In reply to ]
Billy wrote:
> Andy Herrman wrote:
>
>> At the moment I'm just thinking of re-compiling my kernel and seeing
>> what happens. I haven't done that in a while anyway (and I'll be
>> re-installing gentoo on my desktop machine anyway, so I'll already be
>> in that mindset). I still want to know what broke it though. Why
>> would the module be the incorrect format? So confused...
>

> could it be your modutils? make sure you're using module-init-tools:
>
> qpkg -f /sbin/modprobe
> qpkg -f /sbin/insmod
>
> also, did the ebuild create a module with the .ko extension? If not,
> then it may have built a module for a 2.4 kernel.

I fixed one of the issues last night..

The driver wasn't loading due to GCC upgrading form 3.3 to 3.4 .. :(

I had issues with the devlopment kernel tree so moved over to ck sources
and started with a fresh config and manaul kernel make. (just to make
sure everything was ok.. I was using genkernel before that with the
--menuconfig option)

I (wrongly) presume remerging nvidia-kernel after the gcc upgrade would
do the trick. Kernel rebuild is deffo needed.

After rebuilding the kernel and remerging the nvidia-kernel and glx
builds I can get into X, but (as noted by another user) GLX is causing
issues..

> Are you running x86_64? (amd64) If so, I had to add the following to get
> the cloop module to compile:
>
> -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel

(___) Joel Merrick
(o o) www.joelmerrick.com
/-------\ / www.connectedup.co.uk
/ | ||O
* ||,---|| GO ON LARRY SON!!
~~ ~~

Re: nvidia module won't load [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 16:14:04 -0400, Billy <billy@gonoph.net> wrote:

> could it be your modutils? make sure you're using module-init-tools:
>
> qpkg -f /sbin/modprobe
> qpkg -f /sbin/insmod
>
> also, did the ebuild create a module with the .ko extension? If not,
> then it may have built a module for a 2.4 kernel.
>
> Are you running x86_64? (amd64) If so, I had to add the following to get
> the cloop module to compile:
>
> -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel

Might be modutils. It's possible that upgraded when I emerged world.
I'll check and make sure I have the right one when I get back home.

Yes, the module was "nvidia.ko", so it is for 2.6.

No, not using x86_64. It's a P4.

I'm just not having any luck with my computers at the moment...

-Andy

Re: nvidia module won't load [ In reply to ]
It appears that on Sep 28 2004 at 21:50:14, Joel Merrick wrote ...

> The driver wasn't loading due to GCC upgrading form 3.3 to 3.4 .. :(

I got the same error, and went another route. I switched my gcc profile
back to 3.3.X and have been working OK since...

I also have problems compilingsome in-house software with gcc 3.4.X

--

Ash Varma
tnedor@yahoo.com

If the meanings of "true" and "false" were switched, then this sentence
would not be false.

Re: Re: nvidia module won't load [ In reply to ]
Fixed it. Thanks guys!

I added a mask for gcc >= 3.4.0 to /etc/portage/package.mask,
re-emerged gcc and nvidia and it fixed the problem.

Now the question is...why would gcc 3.4.X create bad modules?

-Andy

Re: Re: nvidia module won't load [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 11:49:29 -0400, Andy Herrman <aherrman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Fixed it. Thanks guys!
>
> I added a mask for gcc >= 3.4.0 to /etc/portage/package.mask,
> re-emerged gcc and nvidia and it fixed the problem.
>
> Now the question is...why would gcc 3.4.X create bad modules?

It shouldn't - if your kernel was compiled with gcc3.4. I have both my
kernel and all the modules compiled with gcc 3.4 (including nvidia
driver) and it's working fine.

--
Calvin Walton

Re: Re: nvidia module won't load [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 18:24:52 -0400, Andy Herrman <aherrman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, but I haven't recompiled my kernel in a while, definately not
> since gcc was updated to 3.4.x. Bout time I did though.
>
> -Andy

Hmm...I tried recompiling my kernel with gcc 3.4, then recompiling
nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx, but I got the same error when trying to
load the module. Looks like compiling the kernel with 3.4 didn't fix
it. Any ideas?

-Andy