Mailing List Archive

Nvidia and X.org

Re: Nvidia and X.org [ In reply to ]
On Monday 27 September 2004 03:35, R S Gill wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed xor-x11, merged the nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx. Also
> edited the /etc/X11/xor.conf file to comment out dri and made sure glx
> was not commented in the modules section. Made sure nvidia was set as
> driver for device.

and opengl-update nvidia?

--
Conclusions
In a straight-up fight, the Empire squashes the Federation like a bug. Even

Re: Nvidia and X.org [ In reply to ]

Re: Nvidia and X.org [ In reply to ]
On Monday 27 September 2004 18:11, R S Gill wrote:
> Yes I did aevery single step in the howtos.
>
> I added the DefaultDepth 24 to the xorg.conf file and now the colors
> are fixed and the nvidia logo appears when x starts.
>
> glxinfo and glxgears still fail though. With glxinfo | grep direct, I
> get something about glx not found on several screens. With glxgears, I
> get RGB thing not found.

maybe you could send some infos. your xorg.conf, your log, glxinfo output
without the grep (but not all, only the first douzend lines), hardware etc
pp. It is hard to guess without any infos.

Glück Auf
Volker

Re: Nvidia and X.org [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I'll do that. right now I am on campus. I'll send the information you
requested when I get home.

Gill

"From time to time, the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Those who have long enjoyed such privileges as we enjoy forget in time that men have died to win them" -- FDR

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" -- George Orwell

Re: Nvidia and X.org [ In reply to ]
Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:

>On Monday 27 September 2004 03:35, R S Gill wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I installed xor-x11, merged the nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx. Also
>>edited the /etc/X11/xor.conf file to comment out dri and made sure glx
>>was not commented in the modules section. Made sure nvidia was set as
>>driver for device.
>>

>and opengl-update nvidia?

I'm having _exactly_ the same issue...

I've done everything by the book and all of the lists suggestions.

The b/g doesn't load.. fbsetbg errors with a very generic error saying
something went wrong.
GLX won't load. etc..

PLEASE help!

Re: Nvidia and X.org [ In reply to ]
I am just starting an install w/ x.org and nvidia. Could you email
the links to the howtos you are referencing?

Thanks
CP

Re: Nvidia and X.org [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 30 September 2004 16:14, Joel Merrick wrote:
> Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:

> The b/g doesn't load.. fbsetbg errors with a very generic error saying
> something went wrong.
> GLX won't load. etc..
>
> PLEASE help!

please attach your xorg.conf, output of glxinfo and xorg.0.log.
Oh, and a ldd /usr/X11R6/bin/glxgears would be nice.

Re: Nvidia and X.org [ In reply to ]
This is the guide I used.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/nvidia-guide.xml

Re: Nvidia and X.org [ In reply to ]
On чт, 2004-09-30 at 19:58, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
> On Thursday 30 September 2004 16:14, Joel Merrick wrote:
> > Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
>
> > The b/g doesn't load.. fbsetbg errors with a very generic error saying
> > something went wrong.
> > GLX won't load. etc..
> >
> > PLEASE help!
>
> please attach your xorg.conf, output of glxinfo and xorg.0.log.
> Oh, and a ldd /usr/X11R6/bin/glxgears would be nice.

Hi,
Have also GLX error and it isn't working. Saw somewhere mention that
this is a bug of GCC-3.4.x.
Which version you using? i'm with 3.4.1. Also said that reverting back
to 3.3.4 solved the problem.
HTH
Rumen
Re: Nvidia and X.org [ In reply to ]
On Friday 01 October 2004 06:54, Rumen Yotov wrote:
> On чт, 2004-09-30 at 19:58, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
> > On Thursday 30 September 2004 16:14, Joel Merrick wrote:
> > > Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
> > >
> > > The b/g doesn't load.. fbsetbg errors with a very generic error saying
> > > something went wrong.
> > > GLX won't load. etc..
> > >
> > > PLEASE help!
> >
> > please attach your xorg.conf, output of glxinfo and xorg.0.log.
> > Oh, and a ldd /usr/X11R6/bin/glxgears would be nice.
>
> Hi,
> Have also GLX error and it isn't working. Saw somewhere mention that
> this is a bug of GCC-3.4.x.
> Which version you using? i'm with 3.4.1. Also said that reverting back
> to 3.3.4 solved the problem.
> HTH
> Rumen

I have
gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 3.4.2 (Gentoo Linux 3.4.2-r2, ssp-3.4.1-1, pie-8.7.6.5)

and glx is working fine. My whole system is working fine. After the gcc
update, I removed gcc 3.3.4, lib-compat and libstdc. Than a revdep-rebuild,
everything is fine.

If you update gcc, some progs will look into the old gcc/libstdc dirs
in /usr/lib/gcc-lib, others will look into the latest... and the problems are
building up.

This is why you should eun revdep-rebuild regularly. The gcc-version is
totally unimportant and has nothing to do, if glx works or not.

Re: Nvidia and X.org [ In reply to ]
Hi,
On пт, 2004-10-01 at 18:33, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
> On Friday 01 October 2004 06:54, Rumen Yotov wrote:

> > > please attach your xorg.conf, output of glxinfo and xorg.0.log.
> > > Oh, and a ldd /usr/X11R6/bin/glxgears would be nice.
> >
> > Hi,
> > Have also GLX error and it isn't working. Saw somewhere mention that
> > this is a bug of GCC-3.4.x.
> > Which version you using? i'm with 3.4.1. Also said that reverting back
> > to 3.3.4 solved the problem.
> > HTH
> > Rumen
>
> I have
> gcc --version
> gcc (GCC) 3.4.2 (Gentoo Linux 3.4.2-r2, ssp-3.4.1-1, pie-8.7.6.5)
>
> and glx is working fine. My whole system is working fine. After the gcc
> update, I removed gcc 3.3.4, lib-compat and libstdc. Than a revdep-rebuild,
> everything is fine.

gone that.
> If you update gcc, some progs will look into the old gcc/libstdc dirs
> in /usr/lib/gcc-lib, others will look into the latest... and the problems are
> building up.

correct, saw this from the revdep-rebuild output.
> This is why you should eun revdep-rebuild regularly. The gcc-version is
> totally unimportant and has nothing to do, if glx works or not.
Yes, but had to re-compile the kernel (with GCC-3.4.x) to get
nvidia-kernel to load correctly and work. Not so for GLX (nvidia-glx is
also re-compiled) but isn't working.
Seems most of the problems are due to having binaries compiled with
different GCCs.
Thanks
Rumen