filesystem."

What's causing this error and what might be the solution? Thanks.

Ed

Re: Boot Error -- Why? [ In reply to ]
Hi,
On сб, 2004-09-25 at 16:48, Ed Sutherland wrote:
> I'm using the 2.6.5 kernel with the universal stage 3 installer cd. After
> installing and making the root partition ext3 with 'mke2fs -j /dev/hda13', I
maybe should be:mke2fs -j /dev/hda3 not 13
> get this error when booting:
>
> Checking all filesystems...
> Fsck.ext2: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/hda11
so here: /dev/hda1 not 11

> (note: /dev/hda11 is my boot-block -- should that be included in fstab on
> the ppc?)
>
> "The super-block could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
> filesystem."
>
> What's causing this error and what might be the solution? Thanks.
>
> Ed

Just a suggestion as you may rightfully have whole 13 partitions.
PS:somewhere saw an article recommending doing: dd if=/dev/zero
of=/dev/hdaX on a new install partition and leave it to run for some 20
seconds just to override (old data-super block) in the initial portion
of the partition.
HTH
Rumen
Re: Boot Error -- Why? [ In reply to ]
Rumen Yotov wrote:

>Hi,
>On сб, 2004-09-25 at 16:48, Ed Sutherland wrote:
>

>>I'm using the 2.6.5 kernel with the universal stage 3 installer cd. After
>>installing and making the root partition ext3 with 'mke2fs -j /dev/hda13', I
>>

> maybe should be:mke2fs -j /dev/hda3 not 13
>

>>get this error when booting:
>>
>>Checking all filesystems...
>>Fsck.ext2: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/hda11
>>

> so here: /dev/hda1 not 11
>

>>(note: /dev/hda11 is my boot-block -- should that be included in fstab on
>>the ppc?)
>>
>>"The super-block could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
>>filesystem."
>>
>>What's causing this error and what might be the solution? Thanks.
>>
>>Ed
>>

>>--
>>

>Just a suggestion as you may rightfully have whole 13 partitions.
>PS:somewhere saw an article recommending doing: dd if=/dev/zero
>of=/dev/hdaX on a new install partition and leave it to run for some 20
>seconds just to override (old data-super block) in the initial portion
>of the partition.
>HTH
>Rumen

That would be as a pre-install step. It should wipe the partition clean
if you leave it run to completion.

Bob