Mailing List Archive

What's the recommended csh on gentoo?
We use NIS and I have my shell set to /bin/csh since it
works fine on FreeBSD which is most of the machines I use.

I initially tried app-shells/csh on gentoo but it's no good,
the arrow keys don't work for command recall and editing.

app-shells/ccsh seems to be a script interpreter only, not
an interactive shell.

app-shells/tcsh does some very strange things when I first
log in:

>login as: jim
>Password:
>Last login: Thu Sep 23 17:09:50 2004 from speyburn.isltd.insignia.com
>\033]0;jim@tomatin: /home/tomatin/jim\007\033]0;jim@tomatin: /home/tomatin/jim\007tomatin%

(the client is PuTTY but it does the same in xterm) Not quite
sure what that's supposed to do!

Also if I do an ls -l, it all comes out in strange colours!
I'd much rather have mono, thanks very much, and I've set my
colour choice (yellow on black) and I'd really rather not have
anything else! Especially blue on black for directories, which
is unreadable.

Is there a plain ordinary csh like the FreeBSD one which lets
me use the arrow keys but doesn't do all the other stuff?

jim

Re: What's the recommended csh on gentoo? [ In reply to ]

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/shell/csh-whynot/

--
Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, Fluxbox)
Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm
Re: What's the recommended csh on gentoo? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 17:07:05 +0100, Jim Hatfield
<subscriber@insignia.com> wrote:
> We use NIS and I have my shell set to /bin/csh since it
> works fine on FreeBSD which is most of the machines I use.
>
> I initially tried app-shells/csh on gentoo but it's no good,
> the arrow keys don't work for command recall and editing.

IMO, this is pretty standard for csh. That's the reason I refused to
used it on Solaris. FreeBSD must have cobbled together a fix for this
behavior. Move on up to bash (or fill in your favorite shell that's
not as crippled as csh).

--
/\/\
(CR) Collins Richey

Re: What's the recommended csh on gentoo? [ In reply to ]
You want tcsh, but you want to change some of its defaults.
Since moving to Gentoo I've converted from tcsh to bash since Gentoo is much
more bash friendly, and bash is frankly much more powerful than tcsh for
scripting.
So I can't tell you exactly what you need to change, but the relevant files
are going to be:
/etc/csh.login
/etc/csh.cshrc
/etc/profile.d/tcsh-*