Mailing List Archive

reemerge problem (free space) | xorg kde
hi, list

here is the situation:

since last day every time I load KDE (3.2.3) it craches, so I can't use X,
gnome is working but vary laggy

I don't know what's the reason for it but I've decided to make `emerge -u
xorg-x11` first, then update kde too,
since therer is kde 3.3.0 ebuild

but during building xorg-x11 there was no free space left on my box, and
it was'nt finished at all (error 2)

what can I do in such situation?
may be I need to make the '/' partition larger (how to do it properly?)
and what to do then to correct error?

emerge it again using option allows to recover last error?
or emerge w/o that option?

thnx.

Re: reemerge problem (free space) | xorg kde [ In reply to ]
bit wrote:

> hi, list
>
> here is the situation:
>
> since last day every time I load KDE (3.2.3) it craches, so I can't use X,
> gnome is working but vary laggy
>
> I don't know what's the reason for it but I've decided to make `emerge
> -u xorg-x11` first, then update kde too,
> since therer is kde 3.3.0 ebuild
>
> but during building xorg-x11 there was no free space left on my box,
> and it was'nt finished at all (error 2)
>
> what can I do in such situation?
> may be I need to make the '/' partition larger (how to do it properly?)
> and what to do then to correct error?
>
> emerge it again using option allows to recover last error?
> or emerge w/o that option?
>
> thnx.

> .

Well first let's see what you have on you hdd so `df -h` and post the
output.
Second you can change the tmp dir on the command line with
`PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/i/love/beer" emerge -uv xorg-x11` (from man make.conf)
Third if you are lucky (this will not work if there are any absolute
paths in the compilation tmp files), you can move the tmp directory from
/var/tmp/portage/xorg-x11 to another partition and try emerge resume (I
think this is the right param). However this will not work if you
emerged something else between now and then.

--

Adi