I'm trying to compile wx4j, (not in the portage tree),
and it gives me an error saying that a certain
"whatever".a file is missing. However I find the
"whatever".so file in the right place.

What's the difference between .a and .so and is there
a way I can fix it so the program can compile?

Thanks

Bill

Re: difference between .so and .a [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On 五, 2004-09-24 at 11:25, Bill Six wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to compile wx4j, (not in the portage tree),
> and it gives me an error saying that a certain
> "whatever".a file is missing. However I find the
> "whatever".so file in the right place.

.a is static library, or archive
.so is shared object, or shared library

So your apps is tried to statically link against a library

> What's the difference between .a and .so and is there
> a way I can fix it so the program can compile?

I'm not very sure if it work, but you may try
emerge the whatever again with 'static'

if the resulting package still don't have a static libs.
try manually build that 'whatever'

btw, I think, you should name explicitly what the 'whatever' is,
others may easily to point you to the right place.

also, as a note, usually emerge will install '.a' and '.so' if possible

Re: difference between .so and .a [ In reply to ]
I've had some problems compiling wxGTK, but it was solved after using

opengl-update xfree (I know, it's a shame, I'll switch to x.org as soon
as possible ;-) )

You may have to change "xfree" to whatever openGL libraries you use,
including "xorg-x11", "nvidia", "ati" or "mtx"

Hope this helps
Francisco

Re: difference between .so and .a [ In reply to ]