Robert

--
Robert Svoboda

Re: enable/disable documentation per package [ In reply to ]
Robert Svoboda wrote:

>Hi Gentoo users,
>
>is there a way to enable documentation installation for
>certain package?
>
>I have nodoc feature in make.conf.
>But I'd like to have documentation for certain packages,
>for example mutt.
>
>Is there any USE flag or another option to achieve this?
>
>Thanks,
>Robert

USE="doc" emerge <package>

Re: enable/disable documentation per package [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:40:11 +0200, Robert Svoboda <r080@atlas.cz> wrote:
> is there a way to enable documentation installation for
> certain package?
>
> I have nodoc feature in make.conf.
> But I'd like to have documentation for certain packages,
> for example mutt.
>
> Is there any USE flag or another option to achieve this?

You could set up your variables in /etc/portage/package.use and then
put your packages and their specific USE flags in there. You may find
"man portage" of help explaining it.

--
Ric de France
Ph: +61412945554 (international) or 0412945554 (Australia)

Re: enable/disable documentation per package [ In reply to ]
Ralph wrote:
> Robert Svoboda wrote:
>>is there a way to enable documentation installation for
>>certain package?
>
> USE="doc" emerge <package>

No, never (well, almost never) specify USE flags on the emerge
command line. Add the following line to /etc/portage/package.use
(create it if it doesn't exist yet):

mail-client/mutt doc

Add separate lines for every package for which you want the docs.

-- Remy

Remove underscore and suffix in reply address for a timely response.

Re: enable/disable documentation per package [ In reply to ]
Ralph wrote:
> Robert Svoboda wrote:
>
>> Hi Gentoo users,
>>
>> is there a way to enable documentation installation for
>> certain package?
>>
>> I have nodoc feature in make.conf.
>> But I'd like to have documentation for certain packages,
>> for example mutt.
>>
>> Is there any USE flag or another option to achieve this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Robert
>>

> USE="doc" emerge <package>

That's the way, you *can* but shouldn't do it.
The better way is to use
#> mkdir -p /etc/portage
#> echo <category>/<package> doc >> /etc/portage/package.use
#> emerge <package>
where <category> is the part before the first slash in the output of
#> emerge <package> -p

This will use the doc USE flag each time you remerge or upgrade the package
in question without having to remember to set the USE environment variable.
See man portage for details of the files you can put in /etc/portage and
their use.

Greetings,
Felix
Re: enable/disable documentation per package [ In reply to ]
Thank you guys for help.

I found this:

doc - Adds extra documentation

in the use.desc file but it made me thinking that "extra" is
something more than just standard documentation.

Robert

Re: enable/disable documentation per package [ In reply to ]
begin quote
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 12:16:19 +0200
Robert Svoboda <r080@atlas.cz> wrote:

> Thank you guys for help.
>
> I found this:

> doc - Adds extra documentation
>
> in the use.desc file but it made me thinking that "extra" is
> something more than just standard documentation.

it is, USE=doc isn't your normal manpages, readme and so on. its for
API, examples and other more intricate documentation, or for
documentation generation that requires extensive tools installed to work
(tetex/latex and so on)

for FEATURES, I'm not sure there is a way to en/dis-able FEATURES on a
per-package basis. Check "man portage" to make sure though.

//Spider

--
begin .signature
Tortured users / Laughing in pain
Re: enable/disable documentation per package [ In reply to ]
* Ralph <res0r9lm@tampadsl.net> [2004-09-23 10:50]:

* Remy Blank <remy.blank_asps@pobox.com> [2004-09-23 11:10]:
> Ralph wrote:
> Add the following line to /etc/portage/package.use
> (create it if it doesn't exist yet):
>
> mail-client/mutt doc

Ok, I have put:

mail-client/mutt doc

into /etc/portage/package.use and emerged mutt, but mutt
manual is still not there. Tried to look in /usr/share/doc/
then over the whole disk. (even tried "USE="doc" emerge mutt")

I'm pretty sure that I've been using mutt manual before the
switch to nodoc feature.

Another thing is, that if I do "emerge -pv mutt" there is no
doc USE flag present...

Thanks,
Robert

Re: enable/disable documentation per package [ In reply to ]
* Spider <spider@gentoo.org> [2004-09-23 13:20]:
> it is, USE=doc isn't your normal manpages, readme and so on. its for
> API, examples and other more intricate documentation, or for
> documentation generation that requires extensive tools installed to work
> (tetex/latex and so on)

So I understood it right...

> for FEATURES, I'm not sure there is a way to en/dis-able FEATURES on a
> per-package basis. Check "man portage" to make sure though.

I didn't find anything related there.

Thanks,
Robert

Re: enable/disable documentation per package [ In reply to ]

Re: enable/disable documentation per package [ In reply to ]
* Aaron Walker <ka0ttic@gentoo.org> [2004-09-23 18:00]:
> | mail-client/mutt doc
>
> This is pointless, since mutt doesn't use a doc USE flag. Even if it
> did, as Spider pointed out, the doc USE flag isn't for your normal
> everyday docs, but rather for things such as library API's and docs that
> require latex or tetex, etc.

yes, I understand this, see my other post in this thread :-)

> The only way you can get the mutt manual is by manually doing:
>
> # FEATURES="-nodoc" emerge mutt
>
> since portage does support per-package FEATURES at this time.

thank you, this is what I was looking for

Robert