Mailing List Archive

Random insanity in build environment?
Hey all,

The basic issue is that I can emerge some things, but not others, and I
can't figure out why.

So far, the main victims are cdrtools and ncurses (!!!).

Many things emerge fine (I emerged snes9x last night, and I'm doing an
emerge -uaDtv world at this moment; so far tcl, sed, groff and gcc are
emerging without errors, so have cups and samba).

However, for cdrtools I get an error in /bin/cc (compiler cannot create
executables), and in ncurses (I was desperate and tried an emerge -e
system, otherwise I had no particular reason to remerge ncurses of all
things) I got an error in /lib/cpp (fails sanity check).

Previously (a week or so ago), I had to hack my kernel source to install
the ati-drivers (after a long fight with trying to remove koutput),
because even after I reverted to normal output, files like
..tmp_kallsyms1.o.cmd were not executable by root for some reason--
which was a kind of error I never saw when originally using regular
kernel output, and on the whole just doesn't make sense to me (not to
mention worries me quite a bit).

The new Portage (2.51_rc1) keeps mentioning that ebuilds I'm upgrading
from or unmerging are inheriting 'things' illegally (from eclasses, I
think) before the emerge goes fine, which doesn't seem like a good thing.

OK, that last just seems to be informational and not so much related
(she said, in her ignorance), but the whole set of issues seems to
indicate that something very deep in the system is borked (I mean, if
ncurses won't emerge, there's a problem), but I have no idea where to
look for it (which was why I was trying the emerge -e system to see if I
could catch it).

I really don't know what to do anymore. Basic system specs are: ~x86,
kernel 2.6.8.1-ck7, gcc 3.4.2-r1 (emerging now, up from 3.4.1-r2, which
was an upgrade from -r1 last night), CFLAGS -O2 (down from -Os, which I
don't so much think was the problem, but as I said, I was desperate),
-march=athlon-xp -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe. The only CFLAG I have
recently removed (other than changing Os to O2) was -fPIC (and please
don't jump on me for having had it; I know I shouldn't have used it,
which is why I took it out). The only major system change before these
things started happening was an attempted upgrade to xorg 6.8.0, an
attempted downgrade to xorg 6.7.0-r2, an ultimate unmerge and remerge of
xorg 6.7.0-r2, and the kernel upgrade from 2.6.8.1-ck6 to 2.6.8.1-ck7.

Oh, wait... look at that. GCC is updating, and I see that I have 2
versions installed during the cleanup-- 3.4.1-r2 is being removed, but
3.4.2-r2 *and* 3.3.4-r1 (!!!) are protected.

Given that 3.4.2-r2 just did a lot of FIXING of libraries and whatnot,
is it possible that the presence of GCC 3.3.4 is the problem? I checked
gcc-config and while I do have 3 profiles (3.4.2, 3.3.4, and 3.3.3), I
appear to be using 3.4.2 as I would expect.

The issue generally seems to be with the C++ preprocessor, but I don't
know what to do about that, since g++ is in /usr/bin where it's supposed
to be. Version is g++ (GCC) 3.4.2 (Gentoo Linux 3.4.2-r2, ssp-3.4.1-1,
pie-8.7.6.5).

Does anybody have an idea as to how I can restore my system
to some semblance of 'stablity'? Yes, I know ~x86 is not 'stable' by
definition, but this seems a bit over-the-top. All I was trying to do
was emerge dvdrip (which requires cdrtools 2.01) and I've wound up
attempting (and failing) an emerge -e system just to accomplish that
(which I have not, yet).

Please help.
Holly

Re: Random insanity in build environment? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 11:46:36AM +0200, Holly Bostick wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> The basic issue is that I can emerge some things, but not others, and I
> can't figure out why.
>
> So far, the main victims are cdrtools and ncurses (!!!).
>
> Many things emerge fine (I emerged snes9x last night, and I'm doing an
> emerge -uaDtv world at this moment; so far tcl, sed, groff and gcc are
> emerging without errors, so have cups and samba).
>
> However, for cdrtools I get an error in /bin/cc (compiler cannot create
> executables), and in ncurses (I was desperate and tried an emerge -e
> system, otherwise I had no particular reason to remerge ncurses of all
> things) I got an error in /lib/cpp (fails sanity check).

<massive snip>

Post your CFLAGS from /etc/make.conf. I'd bet a small amount that you have unusable flags in there and the only packages that build are those that filter-flags.

--
Tom Wesley

Re: Random insanity in build environment? [ In reply to ]
Holly Bostick wrote:

> [...]
> 3.4.2-r2 *and* 3.3.4-r1 (!!!) are protected.
>
> Given that 3.4.2-r2 just did a lot of FIXING of libraries and whatnot,
> is it possible that the presence of GCC 3.3.4 is the problem? I checked
> gcc-config and while I do have 3 profiles (3.4.2, 3.3.4, and 3.3.3), I
> appear to be using 3.4.2 as I would expect.
>
> The issue generally seems to be with the C++ preprocessor, but I don't
> know what to do about that, since g++ is in /usr/bin where it's
> supposed to be. Version is g++ (GCC) 3.4.2 (Gentoo Linux 3.4.2-r2,
> ssp-3.4.1-1, pie-8.7.6.5).
>
> Does anybody have an idea as to how I can restore my system
> to some semblance of 'stablity'? Yes, I know ~x86 is not 'stable' by
> definition, but this seems a bit over-the-top. All I was trying to do
> was emerge dvdrip (which requires cdrtools 2.01) and I've wound up
> attempting (and failing) an emerge -e system just to accomplish that

We have very similar setups prently I have 2 versions of GCC 3.3.4-r1
and 3.4.2-r2 doing emerge -e world should give you a stable system

Output of emerge info:

Portage 2.0.51_rc1 (gcc34-x86-2004.2, gcc-3.4.2,
glibc-2.3.4.20040808-r0, 2.6.8-ck7 i686)
System uname: 2.6.8-ck7 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+
Gentoo Base System version 1.5.3
Autoconf: sys-devel/autoconf-2.59-r4
Automake: sys-devel/automake-1.8.5-r1
Binutils: sys-devel/binutils-2.15.90.0.1.1-r3
Headers: sys-kernel/linux26-headers-2.6.8.1
Libtools: sys-devel/libtool-1.5.2-r5
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86 ~x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=athlon-xp -funroll-loops -fprefetch-loop-arrays -pipe
-fomit-frame-pointer"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
COMPILER=""
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb /usr/kde/2/share/config
/usr/kde/3.1/share/config /usr/kde/3.2/share/config
/usr/kde/3.3/share/config:/usr/kde/3.3/env:/usr/kde/3.3/shutdown
/usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/lib/mozilla/defaults/pref /usr/share/config
/var/bind /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/terminfo /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=athlon-xp -funroll-loops -fprefetch-loop-arrays
-pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoaddcvs ccache fixpackages sandbox"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.mirrors.pair.com/"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage /usr/local/bmg-main"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="3dnow 3dnowex X aalib acpi acpi4linux aim alsa apache2 apm arts avi
berkdb bitmap-fonts bonobo cdr cdrom clamav codecs crypt cups curl dba
divx4linux dvd dvdr dvdread encode esd f77 flash foomaticdb freetype gb
gd gdbm gif gnome gnuplot gpm gstreamer gtk gtk2 gtkhtml guile
imagemagick imlib imlib2 java javascript jikes joystick jpeg ldap libg++
libwww ltsp mad mikmod mime ming mmx mng motif mozcalendar mozilla
mozp3p mozsvg mozxmlterm mpeg mpeg4 mplayer msn mysql ncurses network
nls nvidia offensive oggvorbis opengl oss pam pdflib perl php pic
plotutils png python qt quicktime readline sdl silverxp slang spell sse
ssl svg svga tcltk tcpd tiff transcode truetype unicode usb wmf
wxwindows x86 xine xinerama xml2 xmms xosd xpm xprint xrandr xv xvid
yahoo zlib"

Re: Random insanity in build environment? [ In reply to ]

[root@Gentoo] 11:41 AM #emerge info
Portage 2.0.51_rc1 (gcc34-x86-2004.2, gcc-3.4.2,
glibc-2.3.4.20040808-r0, 2.6.8-ck7 i686)
System uname: 2.6.8-ck7 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2200+
Gentoo Base System version 1.5.3
Autoconf: sys-devel/autoconf-2.59-r4
Automake: sys-devel/automake-1.8.5-r1
Binutils: sys-devel/binutils-2.15.90.0.1.1-r3
Headers: sys-kernel/linux26-headers-2.6.8.1
Libtools: sys-devel/libtool-1.5.2-r5
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86 ~x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=athlon-xp -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
COMPILER=""
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb /usr/kde/2/share/config
/usr/kde/3.3/env /usr/kde/3.3/share/config /usr/kde/3.3/shutdown
/usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/share/config /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/terminfo /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=athlon-xp -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoaddcvs ccache fixpackages prelink sandbox userpriv
usersandbox"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://ftp.tiscali.nl/pub/mirror/gentoo
http://ftp.belnet.be/mirror/rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo/
http://www.mirror.ac.uk/mirror/www.ibiblio.org/"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage /usr/local/bmg-main"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.nl.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="3dnow 3dnowext X Xaw3d aalib aim alsa apm audiofile avi berkdb bidi
bindist bitmap-fonts bonobo bzlib cdb cdparanoia cdr crypt cups curl
curlwrappers dedicated dga dio directfb divx4linux doc dv dvb dvd dvdr
dvdread edl emacs emacs-w3 encode esd fam fbcon flac flash foomaticdb gb
gd gdbm ggi gif gimpprint gmail gnome gnutls gphoto2 gpm gstreamer gtk
gtk2 gtkhtml guile i8x0 icc iconv icq imagemagick imap imlib immqt
immqt-bc inifile jabber jack java jbig jikes joystick jpeg lcms ldap
leim lesstif libcaca libedit libg++ libgda libwww lzo lzw-tiff mad
mikmod mime ming mmap mmx mmx2 mmxext mng motif mozilla mpeg mpi msn
mule mythtv nas ncurses network nls nocd nomac nptl nvidia offensive
oggvorbis ooo-kde openal opengl oscar oss pam pcntl pcre pdflib perl pic
pie png python qt quicktime readline rtc ruby samba sasl scanner sdl
session shared sharedmem simplexml slang slp snmp sockets socks5 spell
sse sse2 ssl stroke svg svga tcltk tcpd tga theora threads tidy tiff
tokenizer truetype unicode usb v4l v4l2 videos wmf x86 xml xml2 xmms
xosd xprint xv xvid xvmc yahoo zlib linguas_en linguas_nl"

Re: Random insanity in build environment? [ In reply to ]
Ralph wrote:
> Holly Bostick wrote:
>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> The basic issue is that I can emerge some things, but not others, and I
>> can't figure out why.
>>
>> So far, the main victims are cdrtools and ncurses (!!!).
>>
>> Many things emerge fine (I emerged snes9x last night, and I'm doing an
>> emerge -uaDtv world at this moment; so far tcl, sed, groff and gcc are
>> emerging without errors, so have cups and samba).
>>
>> However, for cdrtools I get an error in /bin/cc (compiler cannot create
>> executables), and in ncurses (I was desperate and tried an emerge -e
>> system, otherwise I had no particular reason to remerge ncurses of all
>> things) I got an error in /lib/cpp (fails sanity check).

<snip>
>> Please help.
>> Holly
>>

> We have very similar setups prently I have 2 versions of GCC 3.3.4-r1
> and 3.4.2-r2 doing emerge -e world should give you a stable system
> <snip>

If an emerge -e system fails at package 5 of 212 (which is ncurses), how
could I successfully perform an emerge -e world? Is there something
fundamental that would be recompiled with the latter that would not with
the former?

Holly

Re: Random insanity in build environment? [ In reply to ]
Holly Bostick wrote:

> Ralph wrote:
>
>> Holly Bostick wrote:
>>
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> The basic issue is that I can emerge some things, but not others, and I
>>> can't figure out why.
>>>
>>> So far, the main victims are cdrtools and ncurses (!!!).
>>>
>>> Many things emerge fine (I emerged snes9x last night, and I'm doing an
>>> emerge -uaDtv world at this moment; so far tcl, sed, groff and gcc are
>>> emerging without errors, so have cups and samba).
>>>
>>> However, for cdrtools I get an error in /bin/cc (compiler cannot create
>>> executables), and in ncurses (I was desperate and tried an emerge -e
>>> system, otherwise I had no particular reason to remerge ncurses of all
>>> things) I got an error in /lib/cpp (fails sanity check).
>>>
> <snip>
>
>>> Please help.
>>> Holly
>>>

>> We have very similar setups prently I have 2 versions of GCC 3.3.4-r1
>> and 3.4.2-r2 doing emerge -e world should give you a stable system
>> <snip>
>

> If an emerge -e system fails at package 5 of 212 (which is ncurses),
> how could I successfully perform an emerge -e world? Is there
> something fundamental that would be recompiled with the latter that
> would not with the former?
>
> Holly

The newest portage is a little screwy. if you use emerge -up world you
might have one order and emerge -puD world a different order

Re: Random insanity in build environment? [ In reply to ]
Holly Bostick wrote, On 22.09.2004 12:26:

> If an emerge -e system fails at package 5 of 212 (which is ncurses), how
> could I successfully perform an emerge -e world?
>
> Holly

afaik

# emerge --resume --skipfirst system

bye Thilo

Re: Re: Random insanity in build environment? [ In reply to ]
Thilo Six wrote:
> Holly Bostick wrote, On 22.09.2004 12:26:
>
>> If an emerge -e system fails at package 5 of 212 (which is ncurses),
>> how could I successfully perform an emerge -e world?
>> Holly
>

> afaik
>
> # emerge --resume --skipfirst system
>

> bye Thilo

You see how hysterical I am? I completely forgot that I can do that. I
don't even need to put 'system' on the end-- emerge will resume the last
emerge that failed.

I hope this works-- if it keeps bailing, I'll have to start making a
list of what to re-re-emerge....*sigh*. But I love Gentoo, I do.

Thanks for the reminder, Thilo.

Holly

Re: Random insanity in build environment? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 11:46:36AM +0200, Holly Bostick wrote:
> Hey all,
> <snip>

Whenever I have the "cc cannot create executables" error, it always comes out to be my CFLAGS - even if they're set conservatively. The first thing I try is compiling with CFLAGS="-O1" and nothing else, or even -O0. Most of the time, that fixes it - and you can optimize upwards from there.
Tom
Re: Random insanity in build environment? [ In reply to ]
Holly Bostick wrote, On 22.09.2004 16:39:

> Thanks for the reminder, Thilo.
>
> Holly

Pleased to help you. :)

Hav a nice day anyhow.

bye Thilo

Re: Random insanity in build environment? [ In reply to ]
Ralph wrote:
> Holly Bostick wrote:
>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> The basic issue is that I can emerge some things, but not others, and I
>> can't figure out why.
>>
>> So far, the main victims are cdrtools and ncurses (!!!).
>>
>> <snip>

> We have very similar setups prently I have 2 versions of GCC 3.3.4-r1
> and 3.4.2-r2 doing emerge -e world should give you a stable system

OK, I have just completed an emerge -e system.

Out of 212 packages, four would not emerge, but one error was "fixable"
and one error was expected.

The four packages:

ncurses: /lib/cpp failed sanity check.

ttmkfdir: failed due to ftbuild.h not being included. I had this error
in some other package previous to doing this emerge, and I know that the
problem is freetype-related, but I re-emerged freetype (2.17) after the
other error, but before this emerge, so freetype itself seems not to be
the root cause of the issue, although freetype is involved somehow.

svgalib: permission denied in /scripts/basic/fixdep. "Solved" by hacking
the permissions of the scripts directory in the kernel source directory
to give r/w permissions to everybody (and their little sister). This is
not the first time I've had to do this of late, and not only don't I
like it, but I shouldn't have to be doing this anyway. Does this
(especially in combination with the previous) indicate that there's
something screwy about my kernel (2.6.8.1-ck7) or kernel installation?

alsa-driver: expected inability to compile against the kernel, since I
compiled alsa into the kernel after upgrading the drivers. Not an issue.

Since I could not go back and emerge -e individual packages, I went
straight to emerge -uaDtv world. The last 3 updates were (supposed to
be) cdrecord, cdrdao, and k3b, but none of them would emerge.

cdrtools:

A working highly portable make program is at ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/smake
RULES/rules1.top:234: incs/Dcc.x86-linux: No such file or directory
RULES/rules.cnf:56: incs/x86-linux-cc/Inull: No such file or directory
RULES/rules.cnf:57: incs/x86-linux-cc/rules.cnf: No such file or directory
sh conf/cc-config.sh cc incs/Dcc.x86-linux
Trying to find cc
==> MAKING DIRECTORY "incs/x86-linux-cc/Inull"
==> CONFIGURING RULES "incs/x86-linux-cc/rules.cnf"
Found cc
Creating empty 'incs/Dcc.x86-linux'
creating cache ./config.cache
checking for Cygwin environment... no
checking for mingw32 environment... no
checking for EMX/OS2 environment... no
checking for executable suffix... configure: error: installation or
configuration problem: compiler cannot create executables.
make: *** [incs/x86-linux-cc/rules.cnf] Error 1

!!! ERROR: app-cdr/cdrtools-2.01 failed.

cdrdao:

make all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory
`/var/tmp/portage/cdrdao-1.1.9/work/cdrdao-1.1.9'
Making all in scsilib
make[2]: Entering directory
`/var/tmp/portage/cdrdao-1.1.9/work/cdrdao-1.1.9/scsilib'
RULES/rules1.top:234: incs/Dcc.x86-linux: No such file or directory
RULES/rules.cnf:56: incs/x86-linux-cc/Inull: No such file or directory
RULES/rules.cnf:57: incs/x86-linux-cc/rules.cnf: No such file or directory
Makefile:18: warning: overriding commands for target `install'
RULES/rules1.dir:27: warning: ignoring old commands for target `install'
==> MAKING DIRECTORY "incs/x86-linux-cc/Inull"
sh conf/cc-config.sh cc incs/Dcc.x86-linux
Trying to find cc
==> CONFIGURING RULES "incs/x86-linux-cc/rules.cnf"
Found cc
Creating empty 'incs/Dcc.x86-linux'
creating cache ./config.cache
checking host system type... Invalid configuration
`unknownCPU-unknownMFR-unknownOS': machine `unknownCPU-unknownMFR' not
recognized

checking for Cygwin environment... no
checking for mingw32 environment... no
checking for EMX/OS2 environment... no
checking for executable suffix... configure: error: installation or
configuration problem: compiler cannot create executables.
make[2]: *** [incs/x86-linux-cc/rules.cnf] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/var/tmp/portage/cdrdao-1.1.9/work/cdrdao-1.1.9/scsilib'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/cdrdao-1.1.9/work/cdrdao-1.1.9'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: app-cdr/cdrdao-1.1.9 failed.

As you see, the problem is in this incs/x86-linux-cc/rules.cnf file for
both packages.

I then tried to emerge k3b by itself (-arts and -kde, since I don't have
KDE installed anymore, but kdelibs 3.3.0 is installed).

That did not work either, but for another reason:

checking for KDE... configure: error:
in the prefix, you've chosen, are no KDE libraries installed. This will
fail.
So, check this please and use another prefix!

!!! ERROR: app-cdr/k3b-0.11.16 failed.
!!! Function kde_src_compile, Line 130, Exitcode 1

So, if anyone could tell me:

1) How do I fix incs/x86-linux-cc/rules.cnf so that it does not barf;

2) How do I inform ... whatever... of the location of the KDE libs--
which are perfectly well listed in /etc/env.d/47kdepaths-3.3.0, but
LDPATH=/usr/kde/3.3/lib does not appear in an export listing, and this
path does not change anything even if I export it manually. So even
knowing what evar I need to export with this path would be helpful.

TIA for any help,
Holly

Re: Random insanity in build environment? [SOLVED] [ In reply to ]
Holly Bostick wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> The basic issue is that I can emerge some things, but not others, and I
> can't figure out why.
>
> So far, the main victims are cdrtools and ncurses (!!!).

Well, I tried a number of things-- which list I will spare you-- but
what seems to have fixed it is:

re-prelinking my binaries (may not be relevant)

running ldconfig (distinctly relevant).

cdrtools emerged normally, dvdrip emerged normally because cdrtools was
installed, and k3b is upgrading fine, having found the KDE libs that
were right there (but it could not see).

So that's the lesson for today; don't forget about ldconfig ;-) .

Holly

Re: Random insanity in build environment? [SOLVED] [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 16:16:15 +0200, Holly Bostick <motub@planet.nl> wrote:

> running ldconfig (distinctly relevant).

Only a co-incidental symptom? emerge does this after every successful update.

--
/\/\
(CR) Collins Richey

Re: Random insanity in build environment? [SOLVED] [ In reply to ]
Collins Richey wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 16:16:15 +0200, Holly Bostick <motub@planet.nl> wrote:
>

>>running ldconfig (distinctly relevant).
>>

> Only a co-incidental symptom? emerge does this after every successful update.

Indeed it does, but I attempted to emerge cdrtools after each step I had
tried:

-updating the kernel

-changing the compiler to cc instead of gcc (found that on the LQ
forums) and then running env-update and source /etc/profile

and the emerge still stopped in the same place-- I was just about ready
to delete the /work directory and see if it maybe needed to run from
scratch, when I had this random thought and re-prelinked and ran ldconfig.

And then the emerge went through-- without having deleted the same work
directory that had been borked all this time.

So all I can think is maybe the ldconfig that runs at the end of emerge
has something in common with the env-update that runs at the end of
config-kernel.

When I run config-kernel, the settings are changed, but it always ends
with an *Error updating environment! message, whereas running env-update
manually does not. That doesn't make sense, since config-kernel should
just be running the same env-update I am, but nonetheless I've gotten
into the habit of running env-update manually, just in case.

I don't get errors from the ldconfig that runs at the end of emerge, but
maybe it's got a similar issue, and one should run it manually every so
often. Especially since my attempted upgrade of k3b had been failing
with an inability to find the KDE libs (which were present on the
system), and that was fixed after running ldconfig manually as well (I
hadn't done anything else to try to fix the K3b emerge, and I was so
pleased that cdrtools had finally emerged I thought I'd just go for it
and see if that would work too, and lo and behold! it did).

The evidence seems to indicate that those ldconfigs after emerge weren't
actually doing squat, much as I hate to say it.

Do you, or anybody, know what testing I might do in order to support a
possible bug report, if this is a bug?

Holly

Re: Random insanity in build environment? [SOLVED] [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 19:51:58 +0200, Holly Bostick <motub@planet.nl> wrote:
> Collins Richey wrote:
> > On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 16:16:15 +0200, Holly Bostick <motub@planet.nl> wrote:
> >

> >>running ldconfig (distinctly relevant).
> >>

> > Only a co-incidental symptom? emerge does this after every successful update.
>
> Indeed it does, but I attempted to emerge cdrtools after each step I had
> tried:
>
> -updating the kernel

Doubtful to change anything, unless you actually made changes.

> -changing the compiler to cc instead of gcc (found that on the LQ
> forums) and then running env-update and source /etc/profile

Don't have a clue; I never heard of (nor needed to do) this.

> and the emerge still stopped in the same place-- I was just about ready
> to delete the /work directory and see if it maybe needed to run from
> scratch, when I had this random thought and re-prelinked and ran ldconfig.

Pay careful attention to the "and". Based on what I've read about
pre-linking, this is not a stable function. Pre-linking could be the
problem.

> And then the emerge went through-- without having deleted the same work
> directory that had been borked all this time.
>
> So all I can think is maybe the ldconfig that runs at the end of emerge
> has something in common with the env-update that runs at the end of
> config-kernel.

Unless you have changed ldconfig.conf, this should have idetntical results.

> When I run config-kernel, the settings are changed, but it always ends
> with an *Error updating environment! message, whereas running env-update
> manually does not. That doesn't make sense, since config-kernel should
> just be running the same env-update I am, but nonetheless I've gotten
> into the habit of running env-update manually, just in case.

I'm not familiar with config-kernel. Is this a part of genkernel?

> I don't get errors from the ldconfig that runs at the end of emerge, but
> maybe it's got a similar issue, and one should run it manually every so
> often. Especially since my attempted upgrade of k3b had been failing
> with an inability to find the KDE libs (which were present on the
> system), and that was fixed after running ldconfig manually as well (I
> hadn't done anything else to try to fix the K3b emerge, and I was so
> pleased that cdrtools had finally emerged I thought I'd just go for it
> and see if that would work too, and lo and behold! it did).
>
> The evidence seems to indicate that those ldconfigs after emerge weren't
> actually doing squat, much as I hate to say it.
>
> Do you, or anybody, know what testing I might do in order to support a
> possible bug report, if this is a bug?

Hard to say. My guess is that something is moderately/royally screwed
up in your system, but I don't have a clue what that might be. It's
probably worth opening a bugzilla if ldconfig produces varying results
and error messages.

In may case, I've never added the complexity of pre-linking, so this
is still a possible source of the problem.

HTH,

--
/\/\

Re: Random insanity in build environment? [SOLVED] [ In reply to ]
Collins Richey wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 19:51:58 +0200, Holly Bostick <motub@planet.nl> wrote:

> I'm not familiar with config-kernel. Is this a part of genkernel?

No-- never used genkernel, actually. It's the configuration utility for
koutput for 2.6 kernels. See
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/2.6-koutput-user.xml .

Holly

Re: Random insanity in build environment? [SOLVED] [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 20:38:00 +0200, Holly Bostick <motub@planet.nl> wrote:
> Collins Richey wrote:
> > On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 19:51:58 +0200, Holly Bostick <motub@planet.nl> wrote:
>
> > I'm not familiar with config-kernel. Is this a part of genkernel?
> >

> No-- never used genkernel, actually. It's the configuration utility for
> koutput for 2.6 kernels. See
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/2.6-koutput-user.xml .

Wow, you learn something new everyday.

--