Mailing List Archive

error stpping gdm [!!!]
this is just a minor problem because everything else works fine on my
system, but it just desn't look nice: every time I shut-down/reboot my
machine I get the following message: (I use gnome)

error stpping gdm [!!!]

for the case that this helps somebody:

if I enter rc-update show I get:

alsasound | boot
apmd |
aumix |
bootmisc | boot
bttrack |
checkfs | boot
checkroot | boot
clock | boot
consolefont | boot
crypto-loop |
cupsd |
domainname | default
esound |
famd | default
gpm |
hdparm |
hostname | boot
hotplug |
keymaps | boot
local | boot nonetwork
localmount | boot
mldonkey |
modules | boot
mysql |
net.eth0 | default
net.lo | boot
netmount | default
nscd |
numlock |
pg_autovacuum |
portmap |
postgresql |
q3ded |
rmnologin | boot
rsyncd |
serial | boot
sshd |
syslog-ng | default
urandom | boot
*xdm | default*
xfs |

if I enter rc-status:

Runlevel: default

famd
[ started ]

netmount
[ started ]

domainname
[ started ]

net.eth0
[ started ]

syslog-ng *
[ started ]*
* xdm

*the xdm script I use is the one privided with gentoo - I never changed
it ....*

*would be nice if somebody can tell me what to do to get rid of this
problem.

regards,
antonio* *

Re: error stpping gdm [!!!] [ In reply to ]

Re: error stpping gdm [!!!] [ In reply to ]
Mirco Antonio Coralles wrote:

> gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org wrote:
>
>> Mirco Antonio Coralles wrote:
>>

>>> this is just a minor problem because everything else works fine on my
>>> system, but it just desn't look nice: every time I shut-down/reboot my
>>> machine I get the following message: (I use gnome)
>>>
>>> error stpping gdm [!!!]
>>>
>>> for the case that this helps somebody:
>>>
>>> if I enter rc-update show I get:
>>>
>>> alsasound | boot
>>> apmd |
>>> aumix |
>>> bootmisc | boot
>>> bttrack |
>>> checkfs | boot
>>> checkroot | boot
>>> clock | boot
>>> consolefont | boot
>>> crypto-loop |
>>> cupsd |
>>> domainname | default
>>> esound |
>>> famd | default
>>> gpm |
>>> hdparm |
>>> hostname | boot
>>> hotplug |
>>> keymaps | boot
>>> local | boot nonetwork
>>> localmount | boot
>>> mldonkey |
>>> modules | boot
>>> mysql |
>>> net.eth0 | default
>>> net.lo | boot
>>> netmount | default
>>> nscd |
>>> numlock |
>>> pg_autovacuum |
>>> portmap |
>>> postgresql |
>>> q3ded |
>>> rmnologin | boot
>>> rsyncd |
>>> serial | boot
>>> sshd |
>>> syslog-ng | default
>>> urandom | boot
>>> *xdm | default*
>>> xfs |
>>>
>>> if I enter rc-status:
>>>
>>> Runlevel: default
>>>
>>> famd
>>

>>> [ started ]
>>>
>>> netmount
>>

>>> [ started ]
>>>
>>> domainname
>>

>>> [ started ]
>>>
>>> net.eth0
>>

>>> [ started ]
>>>
>>> syslog-ng
>>

>>> * [ started ]*
>>> * xdm
>>>
>>> *the xdm script I use is the one privided with gentoo - I never
>>> changed it ....*
>>>
>>> *would be nice if somebody can tell me what to do to get rid of this
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> regards,
>>> antonio* * --
>>> gentoo-user@gentoo.org <mailto:gentoo-user@gentoo.org> mailing list
>>>

>> It's because it's trying to stop gdm but it has already been stopped.
>>

>> --

it's not nessecary as it's not really an error. I think it's a bug in
gdm and not the xdm script because kdm doesn't have this issue.

Re: error stpping gdm [!!!] [ In reply to ]

Re: error stpping gdm [!!!] [ In reply to ]
Ralph wrote:
> Mirco Antonio Coralles wrote:
>
>> gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org wrote:

[huuuuge output snipped - c'mon guys, don't be lazy :)]

[snipped signature]

>>> It's because it's trying to stop gdm but it has already been stopped.

[snipped another signature]

>> that sounds plausible .... but what should I do the change this ? is
>> it neccesairy to modify the xdm-script ?

[snipped another signature]

> it's not nessecary as it's not really an error. I think it's a bug in
> gdm and not the xdm script because kdm doesn't have this issue.

[snipped another signature]

This happens to me too. I investigated it a while ago, and ended up
concluding it was something to do with a return value from
start-stop-daemon or somthing similar. It seems to be fixed in ~x86; is
this what you're using?
--
Iain

"Linux poses a real challenge for those with a taste for late-night
hacking (and/or conversations with God)."
(By Matt Welsh)