Also, I tried to emrge samba but got an error saying that the site could
not be reached.

Gill

Re: gnome-core & samba [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 23:38:04 -0500, R S Gill wrote:

> I noticed that gnome-core is at version 1.4. How do I get the latest
> gnome-core?

# emerge -av gnome-core

Ought to work, assuming your USE flags are set up correctly.

--
Lenroc

Re: Re: gnome-core & samba [ In reply to ]
I'm assuming the -v means virtual package?

Gill

Re: Re: gnome-core & samba [ In reply to ]
ACtually now that I think about it what does the -a stand for?

Gill

Re: gnome-core & samba [ In reply to ]
On 2004-09-21 23:38:04 -0500, R S Gill wrote:
> I noticed that gnome-core is at version 1.4. How do I get the latest
> gnome-core?

gnome-core is an old package which is strictly for GNOME 1.4. From
gnome-core-1.4.2-r1.ebuild:

# This should not be installed if the user is using Gnome2, as it
# overwrite files from those packages.

> I don't want to install full gnome as it is bloated, IMHO.

If you don't want GNOME, don't install it. Install the programs you
want (Galeon, Evolution, etc.) individually and let Portage install the
correct set of dependencies. You'll mostly likely end up with 90% of a
full GNOME installation, anyway.

> Also, I tried to emrge samba but got an error saying that the site
> could not be reached.

Try again in a little while. If the problem persists, check your
firewall and Internet connection. If all else fails, download the file
Portage is looking for from http://www.samba.org/ and place it in
/usr/portage/distfiles.

--
Daniel Westermann-Clark

Re: gnome-core & samba [ In reply to ]
I never thought of looking at installing gnome in the way you suggest.
I'm used to doing it the debian way with gnome-core.

Thanks,
Gill

Re: Re: gnome-core & samba [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 23:55:51 -0500, R S Gill wrote:
[Note fixed top posting and combined 2 messages...]

> Lenroc wrote:
>># emerge -av gnome-core
>
> I'm assuming the -v means virtual package?

Nope, 'verbose'.

> ACtually now that I think about it what does the -a stand for?

'ask'. It's like 'pretend' but instead of just telling you what it _would_
do, it tells you what it _will_ do, if you allow it to proceed. (With
neither "ask" nor "pretend", emerge just does whatever it needs to do.)
Using "ask" or "pretend" allow you to see what packages 'emerge' will
install as dependencies before installing the package you ask for. This
is usually a good idea, as it can help prevent you from doing something
silly, like accidently installing a package you don't want. (For example,
if you accidently have the "+X" useflag set, and you go to emerge mod_php,
you'll get X installed too...)

Much better descriptions are in the Gentoo Handbook and/or the emerge
manpage.

Sorry for the confusion, I'll try to remember to use the full names of the
options. My response would have made more sense as:

# emerge --ask --verbose gnome-core

--
Lenroc

Re: gnome-core & samba [ In reply to ]
begin quote
On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 00:01:25 -0500
R S Gill <rsgill@purdue.edu> wrote:

> I never thought of looking at installing gnome in the way you suggest.
> I'm used to doing it the debian way with gnome-core.

In debian, "gnome-core" is most of the Gnome desktop, and their "gnome"
package is Gnome + Gnome desktop + other cruft.

in Gentoo, "gnome" is the Gnome 2.x (or 1.4.2 ) desktop as released by
the upstream. It is mostly the complete desktop platform.

There is also the "gnome-light" package (fairly experimental) that only
contains the bare necessities for a desktop.

Or, you can simply install the packages that you want to use and nothing
else. Dependencies will resolve automagically. use the "emerge -pv
gnome" list for inspiration.

//Spider

--
begin .signature
Tortured users / Laughing in pain
Re: Re: Re: gnome-core & samba [ In reply to ]
Thank you!

Gill