Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: Synaptics Touch Pad --slight problem [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 22 September 2004 02:44, David García Pérez wrote:
> > I have an HP ze5570us Pavilion so am wondering if perhaps we both have
> > the same touchpad At any rate, I suspect you already have emerged the
> > synaptics ebuild. No? (BTW: I don't use a USB mouse. ...Ane *please*
> > bottom-post...)
> >
> > Another weird thing is that on the SuSE distro the mouse is specified as
> > ExplorerPS/2 and the tapping works. Don't know how they did it but I'm
> > hoping to emulate the behaviour. I can always turn the thing off when I
> > type.
>
> umm... I never used that ExplorerPS/2 driver...and I'm not sure if we
> both have the same laptop... mine is a 17" ws laptop... with a
> touchpad very big... and yeah... turn it off and on works with any
> driver... it is nice feature because I always touch by error the
> touchpad...
>
> BTW: these are the modules that I autoload when I turn on my computer (
> /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6):
>
> 8139too
> uhci_hcd
> usbhid
> nvidia
> evdev
>
> 8139too it is my ethernet card, nvidia... well, driver card ;),
> uhci_hcd and usbhid are for hid usb devices... like my wireless
> usb-mouse and evdev was requeired by the synaptics driver...
>
> David GP
>
> > - --
> > ..."Yogi" CH
> > Namaste Yoga Studio
> >
> > "Home is the place you can scratch where it itches."
> >

> > --
Well... here is my output from find:
linux:/backups/lib/modules # find -iname uhci_hcd*
linux:/backups/lib/modules # find -iname usb_hid*
linux:/backups/lib/modules # find -iname usbhid*
./2.6.7/kernel/drivers/usb/input/usbhid.ko
linux:/backups/lib/modules # find -iname evdev*
linux:/backups/lib/modules

Not too promising. The hid stuff is eluding me, despite a deliberate search
--not only through --menuconfig but also the .conf file, itself. I have
managed to emerge synaptics, however, after invoking emerge sync.
--
..."Yogi" CH
Namasté Yoga Studio

Re: Synaptics Touch Pad --slight problem [ In reply to ]
C Hamel wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 September 2004 02:44, David García Pérez wrote:
>
>>>I have an HP ze5570us Pavilion so am wondering if perhaps we both have
>>>the same touchpad At any rate, I suspect you already have emerged the
>>>synaptics ebuild. No? (BTW: I don't use a USB mouse. ...Ane *please*
>>>bottom-post...)
>>>
>>>Another weird thing is that on the SuSE distro the mouse is specified as
>>>ExplorerPS/2 and the tapping works. Don't know how they did it but I'm
>>>hoping to emulate the behaviour. I can always turn the thing off when I
>>>type.
>>
>>umm... I never used that ExplorerPS/2 driver...and I'm not sure if we
>>both have the same laptop... mine is a 17" ws laptop... with a
>>touchpad very big... and yeah... turn it off and on works with any
>>driver... it is nice feature because I always touch by error the
>>touchpad...
>>
>>BTW: these are the modules that I autoload when I turn on my computer (
>>/etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6):
>>
>>8139too
>>uhci_hcd
>>usbhid
>>nvidia
>>evdev
>>
>>8139too it is my ethernet card, nvidia... well, driver card ;),
>>uhci_hcd and usbhid are for hid usb devices... like my wireless
>>usb-mouse and evdev was requeired by the synaptics driver...
>>
>>David GP
>>

>>>- --
>>>..."Yogi" CH
>>>Namaste Yoga Studio
>>>
>>>"Home is the place you can scratch where it itches."
>>>

>>>--
>
> Well... here is my output from find:
> linux:/backups/lib/modules # find -iname uhci_hcd*
> linux:/backups/lib/modules # find -iname usb_hid*
> linux:/backups/lib/modules # find -iname usbhid*
> ./2.6.7/kernel/drivers/usb/input/usbhid.ko
> linux:/backups/lib/modules # find -iname evdev*
> linux:/backups/lib/modules
>
> Not too promising. The hid stuff is eluding me, despite a deliberate search
> --not only through --menuconfig but also the .conf file, itself. I have
> managed to emerge synaptics, however, after invoking emerge sync.

USB Human Interface Device (full HID) support USB_HID

Say Y here if you want full HID support to connect keyboards,
mice, joysticks, graphic tablets, or any other HID based devices
to your computer via USB. You also need to select HID Input layer
support (below) if you want to use keyboards, mice, joysticks and
the like.

You can't use this driver and the HIDBP (Boot Protocol) keyboard
and mouse drivers at the same time. More information is available:
<file:Documentation/input/input.txt>.

If unsure, say Y.

To compile this driver as a module, choose M here: the
module will be called usbhid.

This driver is found in Device Drivers=>USB Support. There are also
several types of Touchscreen drivers in Device Drivers=>Input Device
support (which may not be relevant, if a Touchscreen is not the same as
a touchpad), and a Horizontal and Vertical Resolution setting in Device
Drivers=>Input Device Support=>Mouse Interface (which may be relevant).

Hope this helps.

Holly

Re: Synaptics Touch Pad --slight problem [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 22 September 2004 10:59, Holly Bostick wrote:
<SNIP>
> > Well... here is my output from find:
> > linux:/backups/lib/modules # find -iname uhci_hcd*
> > linux:/backups/lib/modules # find -iname usb_hid*
> > linux:/backups/lib/modules # find -iname usbhid*
> > ./2.6.7/kernel/drivers/usb/input/usbhid.ko
> > linux:/backups/lib/modules # find -iname evdev*
> > linux:/backups/lib/modules
> >
> > Not too promising. The hid stuff is eluding me, despite a deliberate
> > search --not only through --menuconfig but also the .conf file, itself.
> > I have managed to emerge synaptics, however, after invoking emerge sync.
>
> USB Human Interface Device (full HID) support USB_HID
>
> Say Y here if you want full HID support to connect keyboards,
> mice, joysticks, graphic tablets, or any other HID based devices
> to your computer via USB. You also need to select HID Input layer
> support (below) if you want to use keyboards, mice, joysticks and
> the like.
>
> You can't use this driver and the HIDBP (Boot Protocol) keyboard
> and mouse drivers at the same time. More information is available:
> <file:Documentation/input/input.txt>.
>
> If unsure, say Y.
>
> To compile this driver as a module, choose M here: the
> module will be called usbhid.
>

> This driver is found in Device Drivers=>USB Support. There are also
> several types of Touchscreen drivers in Device Drivers=>Input Device
> support (which may not be relevant, if a Touchscreen is not the same as
> a touchpad), and a Horizontal and Vertical Resolution setting in Device
> Drivers=>Input Device Support=>Mouse Interface (which may be relevant).
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Holly

I think I get the picture. I'm really not all that kernel-savvy, yet. Hoping
to improve that problem. ;-) Next time I boot into G I'll try it & let you
know.

Thanks!

Re: Synaptics Touch Pad --slight problem [ In reply to ]
> I think I get the picture. I'm really not all that kernel-savvy, yet. Hoping
> to improve that problem. ;-) Next time I boot into G I'll try it & let you
> know.

yuor hid interface module is this one:

linux:/backups/lib/modules # find -iname usbhid*
./2.6.7/kernel/drivers/usb/input/usbhid.ko

just ignore the extension... to load the module use:

modprobe usbhid

as root, and to search for the evdev module use:
find -iname evdev*

probably it will be a file called something like evdev.ko...

but maybe you have to compile the module first... to compile that
module... go to the section "Device Drivers", subsection "Input Device
Support" and then put as module "Event Interface" that is the evdev
module....

David GP

Re: Synaptics Touch Pad --slight problem [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 23 September 2004 02:41, David García Pérez wrote:
> > I think I get the picture. I'm really not all that kernel-savvy, yet.
> > Hoping to improve that problem. ;-) Next time I boot into G I'll try it
> > & let you know.
>
> yuor hid interface module is this one:
>
> linux:/backups/lib/modules # find -iname usbhid*
> ./2.6.7/kernel/drivers/usb/input/usbhid.ko
>
> just ignore the extension... to load the module use:
>
> modprobe usbhid
>
> as root, and to search for the evdev module use:
> find -iname evdev*
>
> probably it will be a file called something like evdev.ko...
>
> but maybe you have to compile the module first... to compile that
> module... go to the section "Device Drivers", subsection "Input Device
> Support" and then put as module "Event Interface" that is the evdev
> module....
>
> David GP
>
> > Thanks!
> >

> > --
> > ..."Yogi" CH
> > Namasté Yoga Studio
> > "If music be the food of love, why can't rabbits sing?"
> >
> > --
Therein lies the rub. The module is there after I compile the kernel, but
gone after reboot. It's a bug, of some sort. I've created a good backup of
the partition and I'm going to wait a bit and monitor the list and take
extensive notes where appropriate. Perhaps, one day, I'll have a working
system. I need ppp0 worse than I need the touchpad tapping to work,
actually, since my box is online 24/7.

Re: Synaptics Touch Pad --slight problem [ In reply to ]
what you mean that is gone after reboot???... the file is deleted? or
the module is not loaded into memory?

David GP

Re: Synaptics Touch Pad --slight problem [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 23 September 2004 06:57, David García Pérez wrote:

> > > yuor hid interface module is this one:
> > >
> > > linux:/backups/lib/modules # find -iname usbhid*
> > > ./2.6.7/kernel/drivers/usb/input/usbhid.ko
> > >
> > > just ignore the extension... to load the module use:
> > >
> > > modprobe usbhid
> > >
> > > as root, and to search for the evdev module use:
> > > find -iname evdev*
> > >
> > > probably it will be a file called something like evdev.ko...
> > >
> > > but maybe you have to compile the module first... to compile that
> > > module... go to the section "Device Drivers", subsection "Input Device
> > > Support" and then put as module "Event Interface" that is the evdev
> > > module....
> > >
> > > David GP

> > Therein lies the rub. The module is there after I compile the kernel,
> > but gone after reboot. It's a bug, of some sort. I've created a good
> > backup of the partition and I'm going to wait a bit and monitor the list
> > and take extensive notes where appropriate. Perhaps, one day, I'll have
> > a working system. I need ppp0 worse than I need the touchpad tapping to
> > work, actually, since my box is online 24/7.
> >

> > --
> > ..."Yogi" CH
> > Namasté Yoga Studio
> > "If music be the food of love, why can't rabbits sing?"
> >
> > --
> what you mean that is gone after reboot???... the file is deleted? or
> the module is not loaded into memory?
>
> David GP

Both.

Re: Synaptics Touch Pad --slight problem [ In reply to ]

> Both.

umm... wierd... it never happen to me... the delete files things...

David GP