Mailing List Archive

phpmyadmin
is there a trick to logging into phpmyadmin after emerging it? i have
tried the root for mysql and it still wont let me login, even tried the
pma user and pass in the config file and it wont let me in either, the
error im getting is:

MySQL said:

| #1045 - Access denied for user: 'pma@localhost' (Using password: YES)

how so i reset my root pass for mysql or set it?

i try this and get an error:

root@gentoobox nick # mysqladmin -u root password blah1234
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: NO)'

thanks for your help

nick

PS how do i add a sig in thunderbird?

Re: phpmyadmin [ In reply to ]
David Rea wrote:

>1) The "Can't connect to server" error begs the question... is the mysql
>daemon running? `/etc/init.d/mysqld start`
>
>2) It's been a while since I've admin'd MySQL, but as I recall a fresh
>installation has no root password set; just leave this blank for your
>very first login...
>
>DDR
>
>Quoting Nick Smith <nick@computernick.com>:
>

>>is there a trick to logging into phpmyadmin after emerging it? i have
>>tried the root for mysql and it still wont let me login, even tried
>>the
>>pma user and pass in the config file and it wont let me in either,
>>the
>>error im getting is:
>>
>>MySQL said:
>>
>>| #1045 - Access denied for user: 'pma@localhost' (Using password:
>>YES)
>>
>>how so i reset my root pass for mysql or set it?
>>
>>i try this and get an error:
>>
>>root@gentoobox nick # mysqladmin -u root password blah1234
>>mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
>>error: 'Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password:
>>NO)'
>>
>>thanks for your help
>>
>>nick
>>
>>PS how do i add a sig in thunderbird?
>>|

>>--
>>

>--

yes mysql is running, and the documentation wanted me to change the root
pass from blank so i did, but it wouldnt accept gentoobox as the host so
i used localhost and it worked, but now i cant login as local host.
thanks for the input though.

nick

Re: phpmyadmin [ In reply to ]

Re: phpmyadmin [ In reply to ]
I have also had problems getting phpmyadmin to work.

Try getting access to the mysql database via a terminal window first using
mysql. Also dig around in the phpmyadmin/scripts directory and you should
find some scripts to make all the pma tables. After that try settiing
auth_type to http as below. Restart mysql and apache for goodluck and try
again!

$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'http'; // Authentication method
(config, http or cookie based)?
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['user'] = 'root'; // MySQL user
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = ''; // MySQL password (only

Let me know how you get on....I am not sure I have this cracked 100% yet!

Kevin.

Re: phpmyadmin [ In reply to ]
there is a config file in /var/www/localhost/htdocs/phpmyadmin/ that
you have to edit, but i don't know witch from my head.

Patrick
Op 21-sep-04 om 11:03 heeft Nick Smith het volgende geschreven:

Re: phpmyadmin [ In reply to ]
Patrick Marquetecken wrote:

> there is a config file in /var/www/localhost/htdocs/phpmyadmin/ that
> you have to edit, but i don't know witch from my head.
>
> Patrick

i know its config.inc.php i have edited that file, also, i found out
that i can login to mysql via command line using mysql -u root -p
password, but it will not let me login to phpmyadmin using the same
account information, and the root user of my system also has the same
pass just in case that has to do with something. any ideas?

nick

Re: phpmyadmin [ In reply to ]
* Nick Smith <nick@computernick.com> [09/21/04]:
> is there a trick to logging into phpmyadmin after emerging it? i have
> tried the root for mysql and it still wont let me login, even tried the
> pma user and pass in the config file and it wont let me in either, the
> error im getting is:
>
> MySQL said:
>
> | #1045 - Access denied for user: 'pma@localhost' (Using password: YES)
>
> how so i reset my root pass for mysql or set it?

You can use 'mysqladmin' to set a new root password. I think it can be
done with 'mysqladmin -u root password new-passwd'.

And for phpMyAdmin it looks as though you haven't run the script to
create the pma user and set up your database for phpmyadmin.

$ mysql -u root -p < /etc/phpmyadmin/mysql-setup.sql || die

HTH, David

Re: phpmyadmin [ In reply to ]
Nick Smith <nick@computernick.com> writes:

> i know its config.inc.php i have edited that file, also, i found out
> that i can login to mysql via command line using mysql -u root -p
> password, but it will not let me login to phpmyadmin using the same
> account information, and the root user of my system also has the same
> pass just in case that has to do with something. any ideas?

Just a suggestion: make sure you have phpmyadmin configured to connect
to localhost and not to <hostname>, because maybe your mysql is
configured to allow root only from @localhost (check privileges for
that).

Greetings,
Martin

Re: phpmyadmin [ In reply to ]
David Obwaller wrote:

>* Nick Smith <nick@computernick.com> [09/21/04]:
>

>>is there a trick to logging into phpmyadmin after emerging it? i have
>>tried the root for mysql and it still wont let me login, even tried the
>>pma user and pass in the config file and it wont let me in either, the
>>error im getting is:
>>
>>MySQL said:
>>
>>| #1045 - Access denied for user: 'pma@localhost' (Using password: YES)
>>
>>how so i reset my root pass for mysql or set it?
>>

>You can use 'mysqladmin' to set a new root password. I think it can be
>done with 'mysqladmin -u root password new-passwd'.
>
>And for phpMyAdmin it looks as though you haven't run the script to
>create the pma user and set up your database for phpmyadmin.
>
> $ mysql -u root -p < /etc/phpmyadmin/mysql-setup.sql || die
>
>HTH, David
>
>--

is this suppose to make some kind of output on the screen? i ran that, i
found that file in
/usr/portage/dev-db/phpmyadmin/files/mysql-setup.sql.in-2.5.6 had to
search cause i didnt have one where you mentioned and it just dropped me
back to a prompt without telling me anything, i tried to login to the
site with the pma and root user and pass and it still wouldnt let me.
am i missing something? i didnt have to do any of this on my debian box,
what has changed/added to the gentoo version?

nick

Re: phpmyadmin [ In reply to ]

Re: phpmyadmin [ In reply to ]
Kevin Philp wrote:

>I have also had problems getting phpmyadmin to work.
>
>Try getting access to the mysql database via a terminal window first using
>mysql. Also dig around in the phpmyadmin/scripts directory and you should
>find some scripts to make all the pma tables. After that try settiing
>auth_type to http as below. Restart mysql and apache for goodluck and try
>again!
>
>$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'http'; // Authentication method
>(config, http or cookie based)?
>$cfg['Servers'][$i]['user'] = 'root'; // MySQL user
>$cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = ''; // MySQL password (only
>
>Let me know how you get on....I am not sure I have this cracked 100% yet!
>
>Kevin.

what is the command to insert that script into a database from the
command line? i still cant get phpmyadmin working, i even tried
unmerging it and useing the one from the website and still keep getting
that error message. im kinda getting frustrated now...

Re: phpmyadmin [ In reply to ]

Re: phpmyadmin [ In reply to ]
Sounds like your experience was similar to mine.....it didn't work, then it
did....and I am not quite sure why!! Maybe it was something to do with
restarting mysql? As it has developed the setup proceedure has slowly got
more complex. Maybe one day I will sit down, unmerge, remerge it and write a
step by step guide to at least getting it working.

Kevin.

Re: phpmyadmin [ In reply to ]
Kevin Philp wrote:
> Sounds like your experience was similar to mine.....it didn't work, then it
> did....and I am not quite sure why!! Maybe it was something to do with

(looks through excuse book)

"Sunspots!"

Re: phpmyadmin [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 09:21:17 +0100, Kevin Philp <kevin@cybercolloids.net> wrote:
> Sounds like your experience was similar to mine.....it didn't work, then it
> did....and I am not quite sure why!! Maybe it was something to do with
> restarting mysql? As it has developed the setup proceedure has slowly got
> more complex. Maybe one day I will sit down, unmerge, remerge it and write a
> step by step guide to at least getting it working.

Mine too!
Cheers
Antoine

--