Mailing List Archive

thunderbird: email list snookered
This the latest emerge, I'm noticing problems with both FireFox and
thunderbird. Most troubling is that my email list is missing (ie, click
on a folder, and thinging is there).

I'm running Gnome. Anybody else seeing this problem?

--Kurt

Re: thunderbird: email list snookered [ In reply to ]
kurtg@serent.com wrote:
> This the latest emerge, I'm noticing problems with both FireFox and
> thunderbird. Most troubling is that my email list is missing (ie, click
> on a folder, and thinging is there).
>
> I'm running Gnome. Anybody else seeing this problem?
>
> --Kurt

I've had similar problems updating Thunderbird and Firefox.
My solution was to move their folders ($HOME/.thunderbird and
$HOME/.mozilla) to new locations, start the applications to let them create
their directories and later (after closing both) I've copied needed files
back to the new directories:

For Thunderbird these are
ImapMail/
Mail/
News/
[0-9]{8}.s
abook.mab
bookmarks.html
cert8.db
history.mab
key3.db
mailViews.dat
secmod.db
training.dat

For Firefox you should need
bookmarks.html
cert[7-8].db
cookies.txt
cookperm.txt
downloads.rdf
formhistory.dat
history.dat
hostperm.1
key3.db
search.rdf
sedmod.db
signons.txt
URL.tbl

This should restore most history for you, but you would still need to redo
your preferences. My experience told me, that it both, Thunderbird and
Firefox have their problems with preferences files from older versions...

Hope, this helps you.
Greetings,
Felix
Re: thunderbird: email list snookered [ In reply to ]
There has been a lot of noise in the forums about this. But the
issue seems to be solved. Delete the file compreg.dat in your
.thunderbird profile directory.

Cheers,

Paulo Matos

kurtg@serent.com wrote:
> This the latest emerge, I'm noticing problems with both FireFox and
> thunderbird. Most troubling is that my email list is missing (ie, click
> on a folder, and thinging is there).
>
> I'm running Gnome. Anybody else seeing this problem?
>
> --Kurt

Paulo J. Matos : pocm [_at_] mega . ist . utl . pt
Instituto Superior Tecnico - Lisbon
Computer and Software Eng. - A.I.
- > http://mega.ist.utl.pt/~pocm
---
-> God had a deadline...
So, he wrote it all in Lisp!

Re: thunderbird: email list snookered [ In reply to ]
Felix Tiede wrote:
> kurtg@serent.com wrote:
>
>> This the latest emerge, I'm noticing problems with both FireFox and
>> thunderbird. Most troubling is that my email list is missing (ie, click
>> on a folder, and thinging is there).
>>
>> I'm running Gnome. Anybody else seeing this problem?
>>
>> --Kurt
>

> I've had similar problems updating Thunderbird and Firefox.
> My solution was to move their folders ($HOME/.thunderbird and
> $HOME/.mozilla) to new locations, start the applications to let them
> create their directories and later (after closing both) I've copied
> needed files back to the new directories:
>
> For Thunderbird these are
> ImapMail/
> Mail/
> News/
> [0-9]{8}.s
> abook.mab
> bookmarks.html
> cert8.db
> history.mab
> key3.db
> mailViews.dat
> secmod.db
> training.dat
>
> For Firefox you should need
> bookmarks.html
> cert[7-8].db
> cookies.txt
> cookperm.txt
> downloads.rdf
> formhistory.dat
> history.dat
> hostperm.1
> key3.db
> search.rdf
> sedmod.db
> signons.txt
> URL.tbl
>
> This should restore most history for you, but you would still need to
> redo your preferences. My experience told me, that it both, Thunderbird
> and Firefox have their problems with preferences files from older
> versions...
>
> Hope, this helps you.
> Greetings,
> Felix

Or you could just keep your mail in a separate location, and then when
you reinstall/upgrade, just change your prefs (Account Options=>Server
Settings=>Local folder) to point to the separate mail folder instead of
the default one created when you install a new version of T-bird.

Because I used to have to access MozMail/Thunderbird mail from both
Windows and Linux, I've been doing that for some time. Makes it easier
to backup, and easier to upgrade-- and since your mail filters are in
the mail folder, they are also preserved (which is great if you have a
lot of them), and you only have to copy over a couple of the files in
your profile folder (pretty much only abook.mab for T-bird, afaik).

For Firefox, I only need to copy the bookmarks, cookies and signon
files, and I'm pretty much good to go, except for the need to reinstall
extensions (which is kind of a pain if you use SessionSaver, but even
that can be transferred with an edit of prefs.js when Firefox is not
running).

But then again, I had been using nightly versions of Mozilla, Firefox
and Thunderbird, under both Windows and Linux, for some time before they
started to get adequately packaged with installers and ebuilds and
whatnot, so I've known the drill for quite a while. I can understand why
it might be something of a shock to newer users.

Just an alternative strategy from someone who used Windows far too long
to "just stick with the defaults".

Holly

Re: thunderbird: email list snookered [ In reply to ]
Felix Tiede wrote, On 21.09.2004 15:36:

> For Thunderbird these are
> ImapMail/
> Mail/
> News/
> [0-9]{8}.s
> abook.mab
> bookmarks.html
> cert8.db
> history.mab
> key3.db
> mailViews.dat
> secmod.db
> training.dat
>
> For Firefox you should need
> bookmarks.html
> cert[7-8].db
> cookies.txt
> cookperm.txt
> downloads.rdf
> formhistory.dat
> history.dat
> hostperm.1
> key3.db
> search.rdf
> sedmod.db
> signons.txt
> URL.tbl
>
> This should restore most history for you, but you would still need to redo
> your preferences. My experience told me, that it both, Thunderbird and
> Firefox have their problems with preferences files from older versions...
>
> Hope, this helps you.
> Greetings,
> Felix

You donĀ“t have to redo all your settings. When you also backup the
prefs.js file!
The file contains your configuration. If you have setup s.th. manually
then you surely would like to also backup user.js.
Both are in the profile folder as well and it works for all of them.
Mozilla, Thunderbird and Firefox

as for this bug, as allready mentioned, close Thunderbird, delete the
file "compreg.dat" and start Thunderbird again.
This solved the problem for many users.

This also apply to firefox and probably also Mozilla.
If there is any issue like hidden folder panes and stuff or it just
behaves weird, remove "compreg.dat".

Look here if your more interressted in the files of the profile folder:
http://gemal.dk/mozilla/files.html

have a look here for this prefs.js / user.js thing:
http://www.geocities.com/pratiksolanki/

bye Thilo

Re: thunderbird: email list snookered [ In reply to ]
Beautiful. It worked. Thanks for the responses.

--Kurt