Mailing List Archive

partition problem
Hi all,

I had windows in /dev/hda1 in my laptop when I installed gentoo
(/dev/hda4). When I realised that I don't need windows anymore, I
deleted /dev/hda1 and moved /dev/hda4 and resized /dev/hda4 to have more
space. At that time I remember that I had some warnings from "parted"
(the program that I used), but everything worked fine (I think :)).

The /home partition (/dev/hda2) remained unchanged during this hole
process. Now I need to resize /dev/hda2, and I have 5GB free in my hard
disk. If I try to run parted I got:

Using /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc
Warning: Unable to align partition properly. This probably means that
another partitioning tool generated an incorrect partition table,
because it didn't have the correct BIOS geometry. It is safe to ignore,
but ignoring may cause (fixable) problems with some boot loaders.
Ignore/Cancel?

And if I ignore and try to resize I got something like:

No implementation: This ext2 filesystem has a rather strange layout!
Parted can't resize this (yet).

Then I tried to run parted from the gentoo live cd. The first warning
desapeared but I still get:

No implementation: This ext2 filesystem has a rather strange layout!
Parted can't resize this (yet).

and nothing happens...

I have tried fdisk and cfdisk but they are also unable to change this
partition. So the current partition table that I have (according to
parted) is:

Disk label type: msdos
Minor Start End Type Filesystem Flags
4 0.031 9075.783 primary ext3 boot
2 9075.784 13499.934 primary ext3
3 18826.172 19077.187 primary linux-swap

And I would like to ask 2 questions:

1. Is there a way to resize /dev/hda2 above without deleting it and
creating a new partition?
2. Is there a way rename /dev/hda4 to /dev/hda1 without deleting it?

best regards,

Flavio.