that most close to workable is linux-2.6.8.1-ck5, generted by genkernel.
This kernel network okay, seems to recognize sound card, in dmesg:

Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.4 (Mon May 17
14:31:44 2004
UTC).
ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:00:06.0[A] -> GSI 11 (level, low) -> IRQ 11
ALSA device list:
#0: Virtual MIDI Card 1
#1: ALI 5451 at 0x9400, irq 11

And I have /dev/audio1 device (no /dev/audio nor /dev/audio1). No player
could play music, umix(1) keep complain

umix: Failed setting channel to #-1: out of bounds!

And could not drive usb input device:

Gentoo zhangweiwu # modprobe usbhid.ko
modprobe: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented

insmod: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented

insmod: insmod /lib/modules/2.6.8-ck5/kernel/drivers/usb/input/usbhid.ko
failed
insmod: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented

insmod: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented

insmod: insmod usbhid.ko failed

Now anyone hint me what to do next? How can I make the sound and usb
keyboard work?
(BTW the hardware devices are okay, tested by using knoppix)

Re: sad kernel story [ In reply to ]

Re: sad kernel story [ In reply to ]
Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> Gentoo zhangweiwu # modprobe usbhid.ko
> modprobe: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented
>
> insmod: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented
>
> insmod: insmod /lib/modules/2.6.8-ck5/kernel/drivers/usb/input/usbhid.ko
> failed
> insmod: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented
>
> insmod: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented
>
> insmod: insmod usbhid.ko failed

emerge -C modutils
emerge module-init-tools

--
Andrew Gaffney
Network Administrator

Re: sad kernel story [ In reply to ]
Andrew Gaffney wrote:
> Zhang Weiwu wrote:
>
>> Gentoo zhangweiwu # modprobe usbhid.ko
>> modprobe: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented
>>
>> insmod: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented
>>
>> insmod: insmod
>> /lib/modules/2.6.8-ck5/kernel/drivers/usb/input/usbhid.ko failed
>> insmod: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented
>>
>> insmod: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented
>>
>> insmod: insmod usbhid.ko failed
>

> emerge -C modutils
> emerge module-init-tools

Sorry I made a mistake in my previous email. The kernel most close to
workable is the one I once compiled myself using ck-sources, and above
error description apply to that kernel.

The kernel made by genkernl hangs at a message like this:
UFS-fs not found(1)

qpkg -I -i told me modutils and module-init-tools are both installed.
However I still followed your suggestion and run the both commands.

Now nothing changed anyway:(

Re: sad kernel story [ In reply to ]
Hi,
On ср, 2004-09-22 at 18:30, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> Andrew Gaffney wrote:
> > Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> >
> >> Gentoo zhangweiwu # modprobe usbhid.ko
> >> modprobe: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented
> >>
> >> insmod: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented
> >>
> >> insmod: insmod
> >> /lib/modules/2.6.8-ck5/kernel/drivers/usb/input/usbhid.ko failed
> >> insmod: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented
> >>
> >> insmod: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented
> >>
> >> insmod: insmod usbhid.ko failed
> >

> > emerge -C modutils
> > emerge module-init-tools
>
> Sorry I made a mistake in my previous email. The kernel most close to
> workable is the one I once compiled myself using ck-sources, and above
> error description apply to that kernel.
>
> The kernel made by genkernl hangs at a message like this:
> UFS-fs not found(1)
>

> qpkg -I -i told me modutils and module-init-tools are both installed.
> However I still followed your suggestion and run the both commands.
>
> Now nothing changed anyway:(

For a 2.6 kernel you need only module-init-tools. If you emerged
modutils after the module-init-tools it probably overwrote some things
and is not working.
Unmerge modutils and remerge module-init-tools.
See above:
#emerge modutils -C (uninstall it)
#emerge module-init-tools (reinstall it)
#qpkg -I | grep module-init-tools (must show as installed)
#qpkg -I | grep modutils (must show as not installed - nothing)
IMO this such is the case with all things where one package blocks
another - they install same files etc, so things break.
Had such problem (modutils present) some time ago.
HTH
Rumen