..."Yogi" CH
Namasté Yoga Studio
"If music be the food of love, why can't rabbits sing?"

Re: KDE is soundless [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 15:33:08 -0500, C Hamel <yogich@sc2000.net> wrote:
> I know the sound works as the speakers click when booting ...but KDE is
> soundless. The aRTs server is working, apparently, as the taskbar applet
> shows volume when I test the sound from Control Center. Mixer isn't attached
> to anything (/dev/dsp not found). How do I connect things?

Did you try

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml

?

Rgds,

Martin S

Re: KDE is soundless [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 15:33:08 -0500, C Hamel <yogich@sc2000.net> wrote:
> I know the sound works as the speakers click when booting ...but KDE is
> soundless. The aRTs server is working, apparently, as the taskbar applet
> shows volume when I test the sound from Control Center. Mixer isn't attached
> to anything (/dev/dsp not found). How do I connect things?

IMO, this has nothing to do with kde. You should check the archives
for the past few days for other posts about sound cards. Here's what I
said in one of the posts:

If you are using devfs, I can't help you. If you are using udev, some
users (like me) have to preload modules to get /dev/dsp generated.

Here's what to do:
1. Make sure you have the alsa-oss modules generated for your kernel.
2. make sure you have both hotplug-base and udev emerged
3. rc-update add hotplug boot
4. Make sure your /etc/modules.d/alsa looks like this (change for your
sound module)

alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss
options snd cards_limit=1

5. Add the following to /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6. (Some can
get by without this, but I have to do this or no /dev/dsp, etc.).

snd_seq_oss
snd_pcm_oss
snd_mixer_oss

6. run modules-update.
7. reboot and unmute the sound card with a mixer program (alsamixer,
aumix, etc.)

HTH,
--
/\/\
(CR) Collins Richey

Re: KDE is soundless [ In reply to ]
On Monday 20 September 2004 21:46, Martin Slingsby wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 15:33:08 -0500, C Hamel <yogich@sc2000.net> wrote:
> > I know the sound works as the speakers click when booting ...but KDE is
> > soundless. The aRTs server is working, apparently, as the taskbar applet
> > shows volume when I test the sound from Control Center. Mixer isn't
> > attached to anything (/dev/dsp not found). How do I connect things?
>
> Did you try
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml
>
> ?
>
> Rgds,
>
> Martin S

I'll look into it. Thanks! I'm still trying to get used to finding things on
Gentoo's site. :-\ Sometimes I don't quite know just where to start, so your
suggestion is really appreciated!

Re: KDE is soundless [ In reply to ]
On Monday 20 September 2004 21:48, Collins Richey wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 15:33:08 -0500, C Hamel <yogich@sc2000.net> wrote:
> > I know the sound works as the speakers click when booting ...but KDE is
> > soundless. The aRTs server is working, apparently, as the taskbar applet
> > shows volume when I test the sound from Control Center. Mixer isn't
> > attached to anything (/dev/dsp not found). How do I connect things?
>
> IMO, this has nothing to do with kde. You should check the archives
> for the past few days for other posts about sound cards. Here's what I
> said in one of the posts:
>
> If you are using devfs, I can't help you. If you are using udev, some
> users (like me) have to preload modules to get /dev/dsp generated.
>
> Here's what to do:
> 1. Make sure you have the alsa-oss modules generated for your kernel.
> 2. make sure you have both hotplug-base and udev emerged
> 3. rc-update add hotplug boot
> 4. Make sure your /etc/modules.d/alsa looks like this (change for your
> sound module)
>
> alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
> alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
> alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
> alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
> alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
> alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
> alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
> alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss
> options snd cards_limit=1
>
> 5. Add the following to /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6. (Some can
> get by without this, but I have to do this or no /dev/dsp, etc.).
>
> snd_seq_oss
> snd_pcm_oss
> snd_mixer_oss
>
> 6. run modules-update.
> 7. reboot and unmute the sound card with a mixer program (alsamixer,
> aumix, etc.)
>
> HTH,
Hmmmm... I didn't realize there was so much leg-work had to be done to get
that to work! I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Re: KDE is soundless [SOLVED] [ In reply to ]
In addition to some pointers by a couple people on this e-list, I had also
forgotten to check the entire output of 'emerge -pv kde' to see if I had
overlooked anything else. I had: artswrappersuid & oss. I added them to
the USE, as well as a couple other things (speex & theora) which I am going
to need soon. The KDE sound works, now that I have turned up the volume &
made sure it wasn't muted.

Thanks to all who helped!