Mailing List Archive

CD burning quick start
I've never set up CD burning on a Linux system before, and I've been
completely ignoring it on my laptop until now. What do I need to do
to get this sucker burning data and audio CDs? Should I just emerge
cdrecord and read the man? I know sometimes hardware setup stuff
needs to be done in the right order and I don't want to blow it.

- Grant

Re: CD burning quick start [ In reply to ]
If you want something like Nero:
emerge k3b

or, if you want console burning:
emerge cdrtools

AND
http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO.html

Andres

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 10:58:04 -0700, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've never set up CD burning on a Linux system before, and I've been
> completely ignoring it on my laptop until now. What do I need to do
> to get this sucker burning data and audio CDs? Should I just emerge
> cdrecord and read the man? I know sometimes hardware setup stuff
> needs to be done in the right order and I don't want to blow it.
>
> - Grant

---

When we are young
Wandering the face of the Earth
Wondering what our dreams might be worth
Learning that we're only immortal
For a limited time

Neil Peart - Dreamline

Re: CD burning quick start [ In reply to ]

Re: CD burning quick start [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 19:13:01 +0100, Mike Williams <mike@gaima.co.uk> wrote:

> emerge one of the cdrecord front ends.
> I use and love k3b, but there is xcdroast, and no doubt many others.

I reccomend xcdroast, actually. It will automatically detect the ATAPI
drives in your system without any special configuratilons on the grub
boot line... It will complain, but you can safely ignore it. I've
never had a problem with it.

It's also handy if you want to avoid the bloat that is the KDE libs.

Re: CD burning quick start [ In reply to ]
On Monday 20 September 2004 19.58, Grant wrote:
> I've never set up CD burning on a Linux system before, and I've
> been completely ignoring it on my laptop until now. What do I need
> to do to get this sucker burning data and audio CDs? Should I just
> emerge cdrecord and read the man? I know sometimes hardware setup
> stuff needs to be done in the right order and I don't want to blow
> it.
>
> - Grant

I've tried k3b and xcdroast, but I always end up back on the command
line.
specifying dev=ATAPI will burn directly to an IDE burner without the
scsi emulation.

make sure the following commands are on one line, the mail program
will surely mess it up. And of course, remove -dummy after you tested
it, and make sure you point to the right ATAPI device (your burner).
burnfree and overburn and speed might not be supported by your
burner.

this will burn a file to a cd:
mkisofs -R -J 'filename' | cdrecord -dummy -speed=8
-driveropts=burnfree -overburn -dev=ATAPI:0,0,0 -

this will burn the present working directory recursively to a cd:
mkisofs -R -J . | cdrecord -dummy -speed=8 -driveropts=burnfree
-overburn -dev=ATAPI:0,0,0 -

this will burn a premade iso file to a cd:
cdrecord -dummy -speed=8 -driveropts=burnfree -overburn
-dev=ATAPI:0,0,0 file.iso

Re: CD burning quick start [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 11:49:58 +0200, Jimmy Rosen wrote:

> I've tried k3b and xcdroast, but I always end up back on the command
> line.
> specifying dev=ATAPI will burn directly to an IDE burner without the
> scsi emulation.

You can also use dev=/dev/hdd (or wherever your writer is). cdrecord
warns about the perils of this, but it has never caused me a problem.

--
Neil Bothwick