the story in short:

# running ~x86
# emerge -puD world
[oo! new gcc!]
# emerge -uD world
# /etc/init.d/xdm start
everything is broken

now in detail:

after i emerged gcc-3.4.x, my kmail client had stopped starting up properly.
i later found out that this had more to do with the fact that i'd just
upgraded to kdepim-3.3.0-r1 and that this was a symptom of incompatability
with gpgme than anything else, but thinkging this was gcc based, i figured
that the best thing was to do:

# emerge -e world

sure, it's a rocketlauncher to kill a fly, but it's supposed to work right?
well apparently not.

now, kdm won't start. in order to ge kde running, i have to run "startx" as a
normal user, kill twm, then run startkde from the xterm.... AND the
windowmanager is completely unstable. sometimes, running konqueror the whole
box will just freeze, but i'll still have mouse control. i have to login
remotely and rune "killall -9 kdeinit". i lose all session data and i'm
dropped back into the empty xterm. only now instead of plain text in that
window, there's a bunch of cracked-out characters. typing any letter results
in some cryptic, mangled character being displayed on the screen, but just
typing "startkde" (regardless of the fact that i can't read what i'm typing)
sends me back into kde like there's nothing wrong.

please help me. this is a work machine and i can't afford to take it offline
for a day while i rebuild it.

--
It was my birthday
- Simon, Firefly, "Out of Gas"

Re: gcc-3.4.1 == my box is hooped! [ In reply to ]
Similar issue here - I found I had two versions of gcc installed still - I
uninstalled the older one (3.3.4, I think) and kept the most recent...

Still don't have arts working...but at least I'm into KDE now... :)

Any futher help with this would be appreciated.

Here is a backtrace I get with arts:

Using host libthread_db library "/lib/libthread_db.so.1".
[KCrash handler]
#5 0x416f04b9 in __gnu_cxx::__exchange_and_add ()
from /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.1/libstdc++.so.6
#6 0x416d57a5 in std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>,
std::allocator<char> >::~basic_string ()
from /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.1/libstdc++.so.6
#7 0x405ca3bf in Arts::InterfaceDef::~InterfaceDef ()
from /usr/kde/lib/libmcop.so.1
#8 0x405d93d3 in std::vector<Arts::InterfaceDef,
std::allocator<Arts::InterfaceDef> >::_M_insert_aux ()
from /usr/kde/lib/libmcop.so.1
#9 0x405d94c5 in Arts::readTypeSeq<Arts::InterfaceDef> ()
from /usr/kde/lib/libmcop.so.1
#10 0x405d0b8f in Arts::ModuleDef::readType () from /usr/kde/lib/libmcop.so.1
#11 0x405d0e20 in Arts::ModuleDef::ModuleDef () from /usr/kde/lib/libmcop.so.1
#12 0x405f5584 in Arts::IDLFileReg::startup () from /usr/kde/lib/libmcop.so.1
#13 0x405fb334 in Arts::StartupManager::startup ()
from /usr/kde/lib/libmcop.so.1
#14 0x405e172c in Arts::Dispatcher::Dispatcher ()
from /usr/kde/lib/libmcop.so.1
#15 0x402bed34 in KArtsDispatcher::KArtsDispatcher ()
from /usr/kde/lib/libartskde.so.1
#16 0x0806d45a in ArtsPlayer::ArtsPlayer ()
#17 0x08094c3d in PlayerManager::setup ()
#18 0x08096581 in PlayerManager::playing ()
#19 0x080c3039 in SystemTray::SystemTray ()
#20 0x0808a234 in JuK::setupSystemTray ()
#21 0x0808be20 in JuK::JuK ()
#22 0x08090123 in main ()

My next option is to go back to 3.3.4, and recompile everything (not what I
really want to do....)

-Nathan

Re: gcc-3.4.1 == my box is hooped! [ In reply to ]
So I finally just re-installed 3.3.4, and re-emerged my system...now it's
working. :)

I don't know what the problem with 3.4.1 is...and no one seems to be able to
answer any questions made WRT the issues I had.

I'm fine with 3.3.4....there isn't anything in 3.4.1 that I absolutely NEED.

-Nathan
Re: gcc-3.4.1 == my box is hooped! [ In reply to ]
daniel wrote:

>the story in short:
>
> # running ~x86
> # emerge -puD world
> [oo! new gcc!]
> # emerge -uD world
> # /etc/init.d/xdm start
> everything is broken
>
>now in detail:
>
>after i emerged gcc-3.4.x, my kmail client had stopped starting up properly.
>i later found out that this had more to do with the fact that i'd just
>upgraded to kdepim-3.3.0-r1 and that this was a symptom of incompatability
>with gpgme than anything else, but thinkging this was gcc based, i figured
>that the best thing was to do:
>
> # emerge -e world
>
>sure, it's a rocketlauncher to kill a fly, but it's supposed to work right?
>well apparently not.
>
>now, kdm won't start. in order to ge kde running, i have to run "startx" as a
>normal user, kill twm, then run startkde from the xterm.... AND the
>windowmanager is completely unstable. sometimes, running konqueror the whole
>box will just freeze, but i'll still have mouse control. i have to login
>remotely and rune "killall -9 kdeinit". i lose all session data and i'm
>dropped back into the empty xterm. only now instead of plain text in that
>window, there's a bunch of cracked-out characters. typing any letter results
>in some cryptic, mangled character being displayed on the screen, but just
>typing "startkde" (regardless of the fact that i can't read what i'm typing)
>sends me back into kde like there's nothing wrong.
>
>please help me. this is a work machine and i can't afford to take it offline
>for a day while i rebuild it.

I have had problems like this in the past. At the time I did an
etc-update and then resumed the ebuild. Perhaps there are config files
that need updating on your machine.

Bob

Re: gcc-3.4.1 == my box is hooped! [ In reply to ]
On October 1, 2004 09:22 am, singularity@wi.rr.com wrote:
> daniel wrote:
> >the story in short:
> >
> > # running ~x86
> > # emerge -puD world
> > [oo! new gcc!]
> > # emerge -uD world
> > # /etc/init.d/xdm start
> > everything is broken
> >
> >now in detail:
> >
> >after i emerged gcc-3.4.x, my kmail client had stopped starting up
> > properly. i later found out that this had more to do with the fact that
> > i'd just upgraded to kdepim-3.3.0-r1 and that this was a symptom of
> > incompatability with gpgme than anything else, but thinkging this was gcc
> > based, i figured that the best thing was to do:
>
> I have had problems like this in the past. At the time I did an
> etc-update and then resumed the ebuild. Perhaps there are config files
> that need updating on your machine.

nope. i always run an etc-update after each emerge. but i've managed to fix
the problem by putting the following into package.mask:

>=sys-devel/gcc-3.4.0

and then just re-emerging everything. this worked for my work machine, but
with my desktop machine (given looser time constraints) i did a full
re-install with kernel 2.6, reiserfs and gcc3.4 from the start.... and it
works just fine.

--
i don't know exactly what democracy is. but we need more of it.
- anonymous chinese student,

Re: gcc-3.4.1 == my box is hooped! [ In reply to ]
> nope. i always run an etc-update after each emerge. but i've managed to
> fix
>
> the problem by putting the following into package.mask:
> >=sys-devel/gcc-3.4.0
>
> and then just re-emerging everything. this worked for my work machine, but
> with my desktop machine (given looser time constraints) i did a full
> re-install with kernel 2.6, reiserfs and gcc3.4 from the start.... and it
> works just fine.

My solution as well... it worked for me too.

-Nathan
Re: gcc-3.4.1 == my box is hooped! [ In reply to ]
On Monday 20 September 2004 10:49 am, daniel wrote:
> please help me. this is a work machine and i can't afford to take it
> offline for a day while i rebuild it.

I'm sorry I can't assist you with fixing your system, however I would like to
say one thing:

this is why knoppix is so great. Fully functional system while you
rebuild! :) And if you're like me and use imap for everything, you can even
read your email :)

-Jeremy

jeremy@inter7.com ++ www.inter7.com ++ 866.528.3530 ++ 815.776.9465 int'l
kitchen @ #qmail #gentoo on EFnet ++ scriptkitchen.com/qmail
GnuPG Key ID: 481BF7E2 ++ scriptkitchen.com/kitchen.asc