I use ALSA with OSS emulation,.

rgds,

Peter

Re: skype VOIP [ In reply to ]
I'm using it... the sound is not as good as windows but it is
usable... at least for me... I found the next error... it doesn't like
arts sound deamon (kde sound deamon) when I use it I got a bad sound
quality and some noticiable time difference.... using skype directly
wihtout any sound deamon, using alsa with oss emulation the sound
quality is not as good as windows but it is enough for telephonic
conversations, and maybe there is some time difference but only for 3
- 5 segs. so it is tolerable.

Actualy... I'm using it to make calls to Spain from my work at
Italy... calling a spanish local telephone number... I called to
mobile phones with the same luck...

David GP

Re: skype VOIP [ In reply to ]
Well the sound is working with me at least .. But too many glitches to
have a proper conversation.

Yes I noticed a slight improvement when NOT using a sound daemon.

What version are you running. Did you emerge 0.90.0.6-r1 from the
portage tree ?

cheers,

Peter

Re: skype VOIP [ In reply to ]
My actual version installed is: 0.91.0.3 from the portage tree...
there is a new versión now... 0.91.0.12... but I didn't try it... my
actual version works ok! for me... and I only need it for two more
months so I will keep that old version until I finish my stay in Italy
;).

David GP

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 16:27:41 +0200, Peter van Eck

Re: skype VOIP [ In reply to ]
Hiya,

I use it ... but not from emerge. Works very well here when phoning
(from Holland) Norway, Finland and the UK. My family lives in New
Zealand (ie: exactly the other side of the world), and they still use a
56K modem, but this didn't seem too much of a problem either, at least
for 2 of the 4 times we have tried it worked fine, the other 2 times bad
echos and bad sound.

It's hard to determine exactly what the reason for this was, but one
factor is bandwidth. The higher your b/w the better the sound .. from
what I read. Skype auto-adjusts compression based on your upload speed /
lag. Both times it worked fine from NZ was in my morning, and the other
ones were (here) evening, so I guess that definitely has something to do
with it. A friend of mine in the UK uses it frequently to chat to
someone in Zimbabwe, which almost always works very well ... just a
point to note.

I really take my hat off to Skype to be honest .. as they provide very
well working clients for all 3 major OS's, and even though the Linux and
Mac versions are beta (yes, remember beta) they seem to work on all
forms of linux and also OSX.

Also noted was the fact that my parents got bad sound when M$ LookOut
was running idle, but still open) .. it seemed to skrew about their
system dramatically, but then again, they use XP (blaah!).

One tip ... when chatting, open alsamixer (or kmix or whatever you may
use) and play with the settings ... Capture should be off (although it
makes no difference here), and no settings should be on maximum iirc.
There are some threads on the Skype forum about the ideal settings (with
a pinch of salt) ... just play with it and work out the best for you.
ALSA with OSS emulation is what I use too .. with a simple soundblaster
16PCI which has never let me down :P

Just my 5 cents ;-)

Greetings
Ralph

--
http://axljab.homelinux.org/
Re: skype VOIP [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 20:59:09 +0200, Ralph Slooten <ralph@genesys.ro> wrote:
> Hiya,
>

> One tip ... when chatting, open alsamixer (or kmix or whatever you may
> use) and play with the settings ... Capture should be off (although it
> makes no difference here), and no settings should be on maximum iirc.
> There are some threads on the Skype forum about the ideal settings (with
> a pinch of salt) ... just play with it and work out the best for you.
> ALSA with OSS emulation is what I use too .. with a simple soundblaster
> 16PCI which has never let me down :P

Hehe... that is curious... that is my way of using skype... with an
alsamixer open... just to tune the sound levels to get an optimun
volumen... ;)

David GP