2) FF should invoke TB when a mailto: link is clicked.
As of now, these are not happening.

I presume there's a registry somewhere for these things, but I don't know
where it is...

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD
want a free gmail account? email me for an invitation

Re: Getting Firefox and Thunderbird to play nice [ In reply to ]
Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> I have both Firefox and Thunderbird, and just emerged the new versions.
> Like others, I had to fool around a bit to get things working again, but that's
> behind me.
>
> Now I want to set them up the way Mozilla/navigator/composer was, so that
> the two invoke each other at the appropriate times. That is,
> 1) TB should invoke FF when an http: link is clicked.
> 2) FF should invoke TB when a mailto: link is clicked.
> As of now, these are not happening.
>
> I presume there's a registry somewhere for these things, but I don't know
> where it is...
>
> ++ kevin

registry? weak!
Now I admit when I upgraded thing happened just as you like them without
extra config, but when fooling around with thunderbird I didn't find the
http:// browser option so I must assume this comes from the gnome
control thingie. The other way around could be true.

--

Adi

Re: Getting Firefox and Thunderbird to play nice [ In reply to ]
Since I don't run gnome, a "gnome control thingie" doesn't do me much good.
By registry, I mean a mime-type list, or protocol list, or whatever you like to
call it. I just don't know what they are, or what to tweak.

BTW, running KDE here.

++ kevin

Re: Getting Firefox and Thunderbird to play nice [ In reply to ]
Following things I've seen elsewhere, I have (in Firefox) the
following (copy-pasted
from .mozilla/firefox/default.odf/prefs.js)

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.mailto",
"/usr/local/bin/firefox-0.8-mailto-handler");

In addition, there appears to be a system-controlled preference
network.protocol-handler.app.mailto
that is a boolean, set to true. Toggling it makes the mailto: links
go dead (no underline,
no little pointy hand). The actual handler was copied from the web, and is

#!/bin/bash

# Suggested by http://www.wlug.org.nz/MozillaFirefoxNotes

thunderbird -remote 'ping()' || exec thunderbird "$@" # exec
thunderbird if there's no instance running
thunderbird -remote "xfeDoCommand(openInbox)" # otherwise raise window,
if [ "${1%%:*}" = 'mailto' ]
then
thunderbird -remote "mailto(${1#mailto:})" # and maybe send the mailto:
else
thunderbird -remote "mailto($1)" # or just the address if it
doesn't start with mailto:
fi

With all of this, nothing happens when I click a mailto: link.

Help anyone?

++ kevin

Re: Getting Firefox and Thunderbird to play nice [ In reply to ]
Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> Following things I've seen elsewhere, I have (in Firefox) the
> following (copy-pasted
> from .mozilla/firefox/default.odf/prefs.js)
>
> user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.mailto",
> "/usr/local/bin/firefox-0.8-mailto-handler");
>
> In addition, there appears to be a system-controlled preference
> network.protocol-handler.app.mailto
> that is a boolean, set to true. Toggling it makes the mailto: links
> go dead (no underline,
> no little pointy hand). The actual handler was copied from the web, and is
>
> #!/bin/bash
>
> # Suggested by http://www.wlug.org.nz/MozillaFirefoxNotes
>
> thunderbird -remote 'ping()' || exec thunderbird "$@" # exec
> thunderbird if there's no instance running
> thunderbird -remote "xfeDoCommand(openInbox)" # otherwise raise window,
> if [ "${1%%:*}" = 'mailto' ]
> then
> thunderbird -remote "mailto(${1#mailto:})" # and maybe send the mailto:
> else
> thunderbird -remote "mailto($1)" # or just the address if it
> doesn't start with mailto:
> fi
>

> With all of this, nothing happens when I click a mailto: link.
>
> Help anyone?
>
> ++ kevin

Do you have the MozEx extension installed?

Holly

Re: Getting Firefox and Thunderbird to play nice [ In reply to ]
I do not. What does it do?

++ kevin

Re: Getting Firefox and Thunderbird to play nice [ In reply to ]
Moreover, when I look at the little tools->extensions thingie, I do
not see an extension by that
name. So besides what does it do ... where is it?

++ kevin

Re: Getting Firefox and Thunderbird to play nice [ In reply to ]
Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> Since I don't run gnome, a "gnome control thingie" doesn't do me much good.
> By registry, I mean a mime-type list, or protocol list, or whatever you like to
> call it. I just don't know what they are, or what to tweak.
>
> BTW, running KDE here.
>
> ++ kevin

I don't run it either ... that's why I couldn't be more precise.

--

Adi

Re: Getting Firefox and Thunderbird to play nice [ In reply to ]
Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> Moreover, when I look at the little tools->extensions thingie, I do
> not see an extension by that
> name. So besides what does it do ... where is it?
>
> ++ kevin

most likely you have to install it. Follow the get new extensions link.
Same goes for themes.
What I do not like about this is you have to be root to install
extensions for all users (the last time I installed it). I haven't been
able to figure out what that means. I hope not running X and starting
the app as root.

--

Adi

Re: Getting Firefox and Thunderbird to play nice [ In reply to ]
Quoting Adrian CAPDEFIER <adriancapdefier@digifin.ro>:
> extensions for all users (the last time I installed it). I haven't been
> able to figure out what that means. I hope not running X and starting
> the app as root.

You can start an app as root without having to run X as root, just su in a term
and run firebird from there. I agree though, it is a pain innit

Re: Getting Firefox and Thunderbird to play nice [ In reply to ]
mark@brier.me.uk wrote:
> You can start an app as root without having to run X as root, just su in a term
> and run firebird from there. I agree though, it is a pain innit

By default graphic apps cannot connect to the X server. I like to keep
it this way. I can't for the life of me see why there isn't a
firefox-install-extensions console app. Do you happen to know what this
extension installation as root implies? If it's something simple I feel
a bash script comming on.

--

Adi

Re: Getting Firefox and Thunderbird to play nice [ In reply to ]
Adrian CAPDEFIER wrote:
> By default graphic apps cannot connect to the X server.

replying to myself. sorry! The *last* time I checked that was the case.
Now it appears that graphic apps run by root can connect to X. Damn!
Need to revert it.

--

Adi

Re: Getting Firefox and Thunderbird to play nice [ In reply to ]
Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> Moreover, when I look at the little tools->extensions thingie, I do
> not see an extension by that
> name. So besides what does it do ... where is it?
>
> ++ kevin
>

>>On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 04:00:35 +0200, Holly Bostick <motub@planet.nl> wrote:
>>
>>>Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

<snip>

>>>Do you have the MozEx extension installed?
>>>
>>>Holly

Extensions, by their very nature are not installed by default. Their
purpose is to customize FF/TB to your personal needs, so you install the
ones you need yourself.

Have you noticed at the bottom of the extensions window, a little link
that says, "Get more extensions"?.

Clicking that will open a new browser window at mozilla.update.org, the
new site for listing and downloading extensions and themes for Firefox
and Thunderbird.

However, I'm finding that site very very slow today, so you might do
better to go to http:\\extensionroom.mozdev.org instead.

Scroll down to the "Configuration" section and you will see the MozEX
extension--

MozEX

by Tomas Styblo

Allows the user to use external programs for: view page source, edit
content of textareas handle mailto, news, telnet and FTP links and
download files

I haven't yet configured it under Firefox 1.0 PR, so I don't know if you
still need the script (available from the Mozillazine forums) as in
previous versions, but I'll keep you posted.

Check out the MozEX homepage for some configuration help as well.

Holly

Re: Getting Firefox and Thunderbird to play nice [ In reply to ]
Adrian CAPDEFIER wrote:
> mark@brier.me.uk wrote:
>
>> You can start an app as root without having to run X as root, just su
>> in a term
>> and run firebird from there. I agree though, it is a pain innit
>>

> By default graphic apps cannot connect to the X server. I like to keep
> it this way. I can't for the life of me see why there isn't a
> firefox-install-extensions console app. Do you happen to know what this
> extension installation as root implies? If it's something simple I feel
> a bash script comming on.

It implies that some extensions (Enigmime comes to mind, as do
additional engines for the search bar) *must* install to
/usr/lib/MozillaFirefox rather than the user profile.

Because the user generally does not have permission to write to this
directory, the extensions must be installed by root, who does.

Unless you want to hack the directory permissions, of course.

Holly

Re: Getting Firefox and Thunderbird to play nice [ In reply to ]
Holly Bostick wrote:

> It implies that some extensions (Enigmime comes to mind, as do
> additional engines for the search bar) *must* install to
> /usr/lib/MozillaFirefox rather than the user profile.
>
> Because the user generally does not have permission to write to this
> directory, the extensions must be installed by root, who does.
>
> Unless you want to hack the directory permissions, of course.
>
> Holly

> .

By installing do you mean only copying them or is there some
configuration file manipulation that you know of?

--

Adi

Re: Getting Firefox and Thunderbird to play nice [ In reply to ]
I found MosEx, and tried installing it every way there is: as root, as
me, and with both
of the obscurely described approaches that the installer gives you
(application folder???).
No joy. I can see no indication it was actually installed, and
there's nothing remotely
like the screenshot in the MosEx web page.

And I still cannot get FF and TB to invoke each other. So what are
you folks doing?
Anybody actually have this working with FF 1.0 PR, and TB 0.8???

++ kevin

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 15:03:21 +0300, Adrian CAPDEFIER

Re: Getting Firefox and Thunderbird to play nice [ In reply to ]
Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

>I found MosEx, and tried installing it every way there is: as root, as
>me, and with both
>of the obscurely described approaches that the installer gives you
>(application folder???).
>No joy. I can see no indication it was actually installed, and
>there's nothing remotely
>like the screenshot in the MosEx web page.
>
>And I still cannot get FF and TB to invoke each other. So what are
>you folks doing?
>Anybody actually have this working with FF 1.0 PR, and TB 0.8???
>
>++ kevin
>

>On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 15:03:21 +0300, Adrian CAPDEFIER
><adriancapdefier@digifin.ro> wrote:
>

>>Holly Bostick wrote:
>>

>>>It implies that some extensions (Enigmime comes to mind, as do
>>>additional engines for the search bar) *must* install to
>>>/usr/lib/MozillaFirefox rather than the user profile.
>>>
>>>Because the user generally does not have permission to write to this
>>>directory, the extensions must be installed by root, who does.
>>>
>>>Unless you want to hack the directory permissions, of course.
>>>
>>>Holly
>>>
>>>--
>>>

>>>.
>>>

>>By installing do you mean only copying them or is there some
>>configuration file manipulation that you know of?
>>
>>--
>>
>>Adi
>>

>>--

Based on the thread
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=155024&highlight=firefox, I
have the following in my thunderbird user.js:

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "/usr/bin/firefox");
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https", "/usr/bin/firefox");

and in my firefox user.js:

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.mailto",
"/home/kathy/scripts/mailto");

You will find information about creating the scipt at the url. It is
working for me.

--
Kathy Wills