Mailing List Archive

trapped with config-kernel and koutput
Hi,

I have an issue here with config-kernel and koutput.
When I try to run:
config-kernel --make-koutput=current
it output the message:
* Output directory already detected. Either your kernel is already set
* to use this output, or your kernel versions are confused.

my symlink does point to the correct kernel though.

Same thing, when I try
config-kernel --output-dir=default
it exits saying:
* Writing out changes to /etc/env.d/05kernel
* Running env-update. You should run 'source /etc/profile' to update
* your environment, or log out and in again.
* Error updating the environment!
05kernel looks ok.

On the other hand, when I try to install lufs, it start saying:
* /usr/src/linux is a symbolic link
* Determining the real directory of the Linux kernel source code
* Building for Linux 2.6.8-gentoo-r3 found in /usr/src/linux
* which outputs to /usr/src/linux
* By not using the kernel's ability to output to an alternative
* directory, some external module builds may fail.
end exit wihtout installing.

Problem originates because, the first time I used the make-koutput
script, I forgot to create the correct directory in /kernel-output/...

Does anyone have an idea on how to solve this?

mat.

Re: trapped with config-kernel and koutput [ In reply to ]
Nicolas Vilars wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an issue here with config-kernel and koutput.
> When I try to run:
> config-kernel --make-koutput=current
> it output the message:
> * Output directory already detected. Either your kernel is already set
> * to use this output, or your kernel versions are confused.
>
> my symlink does point to the correct kernel though.
>
> Same thing, when I try
> config-kernel --output-dir=default
> it exits saying:
> * Writing out changes to /etc/env.d/05kernel
> * Running env-update. You should run 'source /etc/profile' to update
> * your environment, or log out and in again.
> * Error updating the environment!
> 05kernel looks ok.
>
> On the other hand, when I try to install lufs, it start saying:
> * /usr/src/linux is a symbolic link
> * Determining the real directory of the Linux kernel source code
> * Building for Linux 2.6.8-gentoo-r3 found in /usr/src/linux
> * which outputs to /usr/src/linux
> * By not using the kernel's ability to output to an alternative
> * directory, some external module builds may fail.
> end exit wihtout installing.
>
> Problem originates because, the first time I used the make-koutput
> script, I forgot to create the correct directory in /kernel-output/...
>
> Does anyone have an idea on how to solve this?
>
> mat.

I solved a similar problem by:

1. Setting the output directory back to /usr/src/linux (check
/etc/profile.env to make sure this has been done)

2. Running env-update and source /etc/profile manually, just to be sure
(for some reason, I get that same error when koutput tries to run
env-update, but if I run it myself, it's fine)

3. Copying the relevant kernel's .config file to a backup location

4. Delete and unmerge the relevant kernel (the problem is that make
mrproper that koutput does, which makes a new Makefile that I could not
seem to override no matter what I did-- and unmerging the kernel goes
faster if you delete the files manually first)

5. Reinstall the relevant kernel

6. Put the .config file back (and check it, if you want)

7. Make the kernel and modules (so that there's "output" in the output
directory, but since the kernel is the same, you should not have to
reinstall it or anything)

That's it. Everything should be back to normal, although for some reason
I had to make the various *.cmd files in the output directory executable
before the ati-drivers would build the bloody drm module-- but that's
relatively minor compared to the main issue, whatever it may in fact be.
On the whole, koutput should now be off, and things should compile
against the kernel without complaint (or at least, without unsolveable
complaint).

Hope this helps.

Holly

Re: trapped with config-kernel and koutput [ In reply to ]
Le dim 19/09/2004 à 15:40, Holly Bostick a écrit :
<snip>
> > I have an issue here with config-kernel and koutput.
> > When I try to run:
> > config-kernel --make-koutput=current
> > it output the message:
> > * Output directory already detected. Either your kernel is already
set
> > * to use this output, or your kernel versions are confused.
<snip>
> I solved a similar problem by:
>
> 1. Setting the output directory back to /usr/src/linux (check
> /etc/profile.env to make sure this has been done)
<snip>
> Hope this helps.

ok I did test the 7 points recipe (in my quest, I didn't thought of
reinstalling the kernel, It might have been a good solution).
But, well, it didn't solve my problem, altough I had good hope it would
do so. However, I guess I can live with it (after all it doesn't prevent
me from rebuilding my kernel - at the moment it just refrain me from
testing the r/w NTFS with lufs)

Thanks.