Mailing List Archive

Can't install Creative SB Audigy LS
I have just replaced my elderly Creative Labs sound card with an Audigy LS.
I recompiled the kernel with the following option:

<M> EMU10K1 (SB Live! & Audigy, E-mu APS)

I can't get any sound, and don't have a /dev/dsp, dev/mixer or /dev/midi.
alsamixer (predictably) doesn't work.

I see on Google groups that it seems to work with some other distros.

Can anybody help? I assume that this soundcard is supported.

A bit of info:

Kernel: 2.6.8-gentoo-r4

System: amd64 3000+

My /etc/modules.d/alsa:

alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss
options snd cards_limit=1

linux # lspci |grep audio
0000:01:07.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy LS

linux # qpkg -I -v alsa
media-libs/alsa-oss-1.0.4 *
media-libs/alsa-lib-1.0.5-r3 *
media-sound/alsa-headers-1.0.5a *
media-sound/alsa-utils-1.0.5 *

(I haven't recompiled any of these -- should I??)

linux # lsmod
Module Size Used by
uhci_hcd 29664 0
nvidia 5289876 12
ehci_hcd 26948 0
snd_emu10k1 86952 0
snd_rawmidi 21220 1 snd_emu10k1
snd_ac97_codec 69572 1 snd_emu10k1
snd_util_mem 3968 1 snd_emu10k1
snd_hwdep 7944 1 snd_emu10k1
snd_seq_oss 32000 0
snd_seq_midi_event 7104 1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq 49664 4 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_device 7244 4 snd_emu10k1,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
snd_pcm_oss 52264 0
snd_pcm 89548 2 snd_emu10k1,snd_pcm_oss
snd_page_alloc 10064 2 snd_emu10k1,snd_pcm
snd_timer 21512 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd_mixer_oss 17536 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd 48104 13
snd_emu10k1,snd_rawmidi,snd_ac97_codec,snd_util_mem,snd_hwdep,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mixer_oss
soundcore 8288 1 snd
nls_iso8859_1 5184 1
nls_cp437 6912 1
parport_pc 26048 1
ppa 11720 0
parport 24512 2 parport_pc,ppa
usb_storage 30336 0
vfat 11776 1
fat 41280 1 vfat
nls_base 8064 4 nls_iso8859_1,nls_cp437,vfat,fat
ohci_hcd 19204 0
nfs 92384 0
8139too 21120 0
sg 25584 0
sr_mod 14180 0
sd_mod 17600 0
scsi_mod 70776 5 ppa,usb_storage,sg,sr_mod,sd_mod

Re: Can't install Creative SB Audigy LS [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 09:38:40 +1000, Robert S <robert_s@emailme.net.au> wrote:
> I have just replaced my elderly Creative Labs sound card with an Audigy LS.
> I recompiled the kernel with the following option:
>
> <M> EMU10K1 (SB Live! & Audigy, E-mu APS)
>
> I can't get any sound, and don't have a /dev/dsp, dev/mixer or /dev/midi.
> alsamixer (predictably) doesn't work.
>
> I see on Google groups that it seems to work with some other distros.
>
> Can anybody help? I assume that this soundcard is supported.
>
> A bit of info:
>
> Kernel: 2.6.8-gentoo-r4
>
> System: amd64 3000+

Are you using devfs or udev for /dev/xxx control?

I am using udev, and I have to add the following modules to
/etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6

snd_seq_oss
snd_pcm_oss
snd_mixer_oss

and then run modules-update.

Also, I have hotplug in the boot runlevel.

If this is not done, I get symptoms similar to yours, i.e. the correct
modules are loaded but /dev/dsp, etc., does not exist.

HTH,

--
/\/\
(CR) Collins Richey

Re: Can't install Creative SB Audigy LS [ In reply to ]

> Are you using devfs or udev for /dev/xxx control?
>
> I am using udev, and I have to add the following modules to
> /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6
>
> snd_seq_oss
> snd_pcm_oss
> snd_mixer_oss
>
> and then run modules-update.
>
> Also, I have hotplug in the boot runlevel.
>
> If this is not done, I get symptoms similar to yours, i.e. the correct
> modules are loaded but /dev/dsp, etc., does not exist.

Thanks. I've actually got the latest alsa (alsa-driver-1.0.6a) which has a
new audigyls driver. I've installed it and everything looks fine (/etc/dev,
permissions, lsmod etc etc). Only one problem - no sound! BTW - I *have*
unmuted it.

Any suggestions? - might go over to the alsa NG.

Re: Can't install Creative SB Audigy LS [ In reply to ]
Robert S wrote:

> [...]
>snd 48104 13
>snd_emu10k1,snd_rawmidi,snd_ac97_codec,snd_util_mem,snd_hwdep,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mixer_oss
>soundcore 8288 1 snd
>nls_iso8859_1 5184 1
>nls_cp437 6912 1
>parport_pc 26048 1
>ppa 11720 0
>parport 24512 2 parport_pc,ppa
>usb_storage 30336 0
>vfat 11776 1
>fat 41280 1 vfat
>nls_base 8064 4 nls_iso8859_1,nls_cp437,vfat,fat
>ohci_hcd 19204 0
>nfs 92384 0
>8139too 21120 0
>sg 25584 0
>sr_mod 14180 0
>sd_mod 17600 0
>scsi_mod 70776 5 ppa,usb_storage,sg,sr_mod,sd_mod

I've got mine working after "alsaconf". It loaded all modules and
updated configuration files so the modules are now loaded at startup.

Francisco

Re: Re: Can't install Creative SB Audigy LS [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 14:27:28 +1000, Robert S <robert_s@emailme.net.au> wrote:

> > Are you using devfs or udev for /dev/xxx control?
> >
> > I am using udev, and I have to add the following modules to
> > /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6
> >
> > snd_seq_oss
> > snd_pcm_oss
> > snd_mixer_oss
> >
> > and then run modules-update.
> >
> > Also, I have hotplug in the boot runlevel.
> >
> > If this is not done, I get symptoms similar to yours, i.e. the correct
> > modules are loaded but /dev/dsp, etc., does not exist.
> >
> Thanks. I've actually got the latest alsa (alsa-driver-1.0.6a) which has a
> new audigyls driver. I've installed it and everything looks fine (/etc/dev,
> permissions, lsmod etc etc). Only one problem - no sound! BTW - I *have*
> unmuted it.
>
> Any suggestions? - might go over to the alsa NG.

Aren't the emu10k1 and audigyls different drivers? Which did you have
for ALSA_CARDS in make.conf when you emerged alsa-driver?

- Grant