i've got the latest ut2004 patch.

TIA

Patrick

Re: nvidia xorg ut2004 [ In reply to ]
i've downgraded to xorg 6.7 and still have video corruption.
when i scroll thru emails they are almost unreadable.
have tried going back to nvidia 5336 drivers but no luck.
any help?

TIA

Patrick

Re: nvidia xorg ut2004 [ In reply to ]
J. Patrick Campbell wrote:
> i've downgraded to xorg 6.7 and still have video corruption.
> when i scroll thru emails they are almost unreadable.
> have tried going back to nvidia 5336 drivers but no luck.
> any help?
>
> TIA
>
> Patrick
>
> On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 21:01, J. Patrick Campbell wrote:
>
>>i've tried xorg 6.8 and 6.8r1
>>using nvidia 6111
>>i have various display problems with corruption in email and shell
>>ut2004 loses my kb and mouse when i launch it and sometimes locks my
>>system up completely if i don't exit out of ut2004 soon enough.
>>i've got the latest ut2004 patch.
>>
>>TIA
>>
>>Patrick

When you downgraded xorg, did you emerge -C first, or did you just
emerge [UD] the earlier version over the newer?

My recent experience suggests that it's best to actually unmerge 6.8
totally and then install 6.7 again.

YMMV, naturally.

Holly

Re: nvidia xorg ut2004 [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2004-09-18 at 19:58, Holly Bostick wrote:
> J. Patrick Campbell wrote:
> > i've downgraded to xorg 6.7 and still have video corruption.
> > when i scroll thru emails they are almost unreadable.
> > have tried going back to nvidia 5336 drivers but no luck.
> > any help?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Patrick
> >
> > On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 21:01, J. Patrick Campbell wrote:
> >
> >>i've tried xorg 6.8 and 6.8r1
> >>using nvidia 6111
> >>i have various display problems with corruption in email and shell
> >>ut2004 loses my kb and mouse when i launch it and sometimes locks my
> >>system up completely if i don't exit out of ut2004 soon enough.
> >>i've got the latest ut2004 patch.
> >>
> >>TIA
> >>
> >>Patrick
>
> When you downgraded xorg, did you emerge -C first, or did you just
> emerge [UD] the earlier version over the newer?
>
> My recent experience suggests that it's best to actually unmerge 6.8
> totally and then install 6.7 again.
>
> YMMV, naturally.
>
> Holly

Thanks for the response, Holly.
So i've got 6.7 now and i didn't clean it out totally when i downgraded.
how do i fix this mess?
i'm so frustrated with the video corruption that i may go back to XFree.
had nothing but trouble with Xorg. :(

~P

Re: nvidia xorg ut2004 [ In reply to ]
J. Patrick Campbell wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-09-18 at 19:58, Holly Bostick wrote:
>
>>J. Patrick Campbell wrote:
>>
>>>i've downgraded to xorg 6.7 and still have video corruption.
>>>when i scroll thru emails they are almost unreadable.
>>>have tried going back to nvidia 5336 drivers but no luck.
>>>any help?
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>
>>>Patrick

>>When you downgraded xorg, did you emerge -C first, or did you just
>>emerge [UD] the earlier version over the newer?
>>
>>My recent experience suggests that it's best to actually unmerge 6.8
>>totally and then install 6.7 again.
>>
>>YMMV, naturally.
>>
>>Holly
>

> Thanks for the response, Holly.
> So i've got 6.7 now and i didn't clean it out totally when i downgraded.
> how do i fix this mess?
> i'm so frustrated with the video corruption that i may go back to XFree.
> had nothing but trouble with Xorg. :(
>
> ~P

I just unmerged 6.7 and then remerged it. Seemed to solve most all of my
problems (which were mostly that the ati-drivers refused to install, but
part of that was koutput acting up as well).

No problem doing that (except the time to recompile X)-- just make sure
to open any programs you might want to use during the recompile before
you start, and don't close them while you're doing it (assuming GUI
programs, naturally)-- once you unmerge, you only have the libs and all
that are in memory. That's fine for anything that's currently running,
but won't work for anything you try to open, as it will want libs that
are not on the system until the compile is finished.

Otherwise, it's just a regular (if tedious) emerge. Since re-emerging
XFree would be no less tedious, it's your call.

Holly

Re: nvidia xorg ut2004 [ In reply to ]
On Sat, September 18, 2004 2:41 pm, J. Patrick Campbell said:
> On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 21:01, J. Patrick Campbell wrote:
>> i've tried xorg 6.8 and 6.8r1
>> using nvidia 6111
>> i have various display problems with corruption in email and shell
>> ut2004 loses my kb and mouse when i launch it and sometimes locks my
>> system up completely if i don't exit out of ut2004 soon enough.
>> i've got the latest ut2004 patch.
>>
> i've downgraded to xorg 6.7 and still have video corruption.
> when i scroll thru emails they are almost unreadable.
> have tried going back to nvidia 5336 drivers but no luck.
> any help?

I still use the 4496 drivers because anything higher hangs my system.

-Eric