available 1.99.08, 1.99.09, 1.99.10, and 1.99.11 which are all ~x86.
I'm not sure which of these to grab. With a stable package I always
want the latest, but that may not be so with a masked package. Maybe
the oldest masked package is the most stable, but then again, maybe
the oldest masked package has problems that were fixed with newer
versions. Is staying on top of the ChangeLog the way to figure this
out?

- Grant

Re: Which masked package? [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 23:54:33 +0300, Adrian CAPDEFIER
<adriancapdefier@digifin.ro> wrote:

> Grant wrote:
> > I need to get a version of mod_perl >= 1.99. I see there are
> > available 1.99.08, 1.99.09, 1.99.10, and 1.99.11 which are all ~x86.
> > I'm not sure which of these to grab. With a stable package I always
> > want the latest, but that may not be so with a masked package. Maybe
> > the oldest masked package is the most stable, but then again, maybe
> > the oldest masked package has problems that were fixed with newer
> > versions. Is staying on top of the ChangeLog the way to figure this
> > out?
> >
> > - Grant
> >
> > --
> >

> http://perl.apache.org will probably be the best place to find out about
> version changes (not revisions iirc).
> All new ebuilds enter the portage tree as "~arch" and stay there for
> about 30 days (from a developer on this list) so if apache realeased
> theese at an interval shorter than 30 days, guess what happens? :)
> I noticed that 1.99.11 was released in november 2003 (?!) and newer
> versions didn't get added. Also this ebuild does not seem to have
> apache/apache2 use flags so it doesn't detect my apache2 installed and
> by default tries to emerge apache by default. It could be it's not
> maintained any more.
>
> --
>
> Adi

Ok, sounds kinda tricky. I do have apache2 installed and it didn't
want to install apache1.3 so that's good.

- Grant

Re: Which masked package? [ In reply to ]

Re: Which masked package? [ In reply to ]
Grant wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 23:54:33 +0300, Adrian CAPDEFIER
> <adriancapdefier@digifin.ro> wrote:
>

>>Grant wrote:
>>
>>>I need to get a version of mod_perl >= 1.99. I see there are
>>>available 1.99.08, 1.99.09, 1.99.10, and 1.99.11 which are all ~x86.
>>>I'm not sure which of these to grab. With a stable package I always
>>>want the latest, but that may not be so with a masked package. Maybe
>>>the oldest masked package is the most stable, but then again, maybe
>>>the oldest masked package has problems that were fixed with newer
>>>versions. Is staying on top of the ChangeLog the way to figure this
>>>out?
>>>
>>>- Grant
>>>
>>>--
>>>

>>http://perl.apache.org will probably be the best place to find out about
>>version changes (not revisions iirc).
>>All new ebuilds enter the portage tree as "~arch" and stay there for
>>about 30 days (from a developer on this list) so if apache realeased
>>theese at an interval shorter than 30 days, guess what happens? :)
>>I noticed that 1.99.11 was released in november 2003 (?!) and newer
>>versions didn't get added. Also this ebuild does not seem to have
>>apache/apache2 use flags so it doesn't detect my apache2 installed and
>>by default tries to emerge apache by default. It could be it's not
>>maintained any more.
>>
>>--
>>
>>Adi
>

> Ok, sounds kinda tricky. I do have apache2 installed and it didn't
> want to install apache1.3 so that's good.
>
> - Grant

OT: I saw your vs Debian thread so what did you go with in the end?

--

Adi

Re: Which masked package? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 13:37:39 +0300, Adrian CAPDEFIER
> OT: I saw your vs Debian thread so what did you go with in the end?
>
> --
>
> Adi

I originally settled on Gentoo because of I was sick of trying to
figure out how to install each package I wanted, and then update each
package when necessary. Honestly, I don't see how people have put up
with that for so long. I guess there's RPM but that's never seemed
too slick to me. Both Gentoo and Debian have cool package management
but I chose Gentoo because it seemed more progressive.

My buddy tried Gentoo but quickly switched to Debian and was very
happy with the easiness. I like easiness! But even if Debian is
easier, I think Gentoo is better for me. I like the way Gentoo is
going, and also the fact that it is *going* somewhere. Debian seems
to have more of a "finished" attitude.

- Grant