0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV31M
[GeForce FX Go 5600] (rev a1)

Can anyone give a pointer?

RE: External monitor on a Sony Vaio [ In reply to ]
In my inspiron 8100 I had to create different XFree layouts and before
starting X I would select the layout for the projector. The gpu was nvidia
and there was some info on the driver's manual on how to build the layouts.
This is all gone now because I no longer have the laptop so I can't be of much
help. Also, in many occasions depending on how old the projector was, I just couldn't get
the screen resolution correct. This was particularly aggravating when going on
travel to give a presentation using an untested projector.

--
Valmor