Mailing List Archive

portage upgrade = error
After upgrading portage today I cannot emerge anything, this is only on the
machine that gets it distfiles via nfs, the laptopm that has its own
distfiles works fine.
The user is a member aof the portage group, although I am using root to emerge
the files.

Mike
Total size of downloads: 60,297 kB

Do you want me to merge these packages? [Yes/No] yes
>>> emerge (1 of 21) x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.0-r1 to /
*** Adjusting cvs-src permissions for portage user...
!!! Unable to chgrp of /usr/portage/distfiles to portage, continuing

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/emerge", line 2826, in ?
mydepgraph.merge(mydepgraph.altlist())
File "/usr/bin/emerge", line 1733, in merge
retval=portage.doebuild(y,"merge",myroot,self.pkgsettings,edebug)
File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage.py", line 2369, in doebuild
if not fetch(fetchme, mysettings, listonly=listonly, fetchonly=fetchonly):
File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage.py", line 1637, in fetch
file_lock =
portage_locks.lockfile(mysettings["DISTDIR"]+"/"+locks_in_subdir+"/"+myfile,wantnewlockfile=1)
File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage_locks.py", line 48, in lockfile
os.chown(lockfilename,os.getuid(),portage_data.portage_gid)
OSError: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted:
'/usr/portage/distfiles/.locks/X11R6.8.0-src2.tar.gz.portage_lockfile'
fcoffice
--
Michael W. Holdeman

Powered by Gentoo Linux www.gentoo.org 2004.0
Kernel 2.6.7-win4lin-r3
Windows apps thanks to Win4Lin 5.1.16 netraverse.com
Wireless thanks to ndiswrapper

Re: portage upgrade = error [ In reply to ]
> Subject: [gentoo-user] portage upgrade = error
Well, sure, a portage update may result into an error, but an error may not
result into an portage upgrade. so, you shall not choose the = but try =>
instead ;)

On Friday 17 September 2004 6:23 pm, Michael W. Holdeman wrote:
> After upgrading portage today I cannot emerge anything, this is only on the
> machine that gets it distfiles via nfs, the laptopm that has its own
> distfiles works fine.
> The user is a member aof the portage group, although I am using root to
> emerge the files.
[snip]

try emerge -B portage on a working box, move that newly created binary package
over to the infected machine's /path/to/portage/packages/All/ and emerge -k
portage then.

Maybe this works well ;)
Christian Parpart.

--
19:57:46 up 24 days, 7:37, 3 users, load average: 0.26, 0.31, 0.32
Re: portage upgrade = error (SOLVED) [ In reply to ]
Fixed a permission problem on the nfs export. The new portage must have
changed the way it handles these permissions.

Mike

Re: portage upgrade = error (SOLVED) [ In reply to ]

Re: portage upgrade = error (SOLVED) [ In reply to ]
On Monday 20 September 2004 10:09 am, Peter Ferriola wrote:

> Michael W. Holdeman wrote:
> | Fixed a permission problem on the nfs export. The new portage must have
> | changed the way it handles these permissions.
> |
> | Mike
>
> How did you fix these? I am having the same problem, with my
> NFS-exported distfiles directory giving me the same error.

I had to go to the nfs server and adjust the groups and user to match the
clients, I guess they have been out of sync for a while.

Mike

--
Michael W. Holdeman