Mailing List Archive

Re: First wireless setup]
On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 13:26, Grant wrote:
> I'm trying to set up wireless via a PCMCIA card. What needs to be
> done to my system to get that working? I made sure the card had Linux
> support before I bought it, I just don't know where to start with
> this. Maybe a good howto somewhere?
>
> - Grant

As someone else pointed out, first emerge wireless-tools.
Then take a look at this thread in the forums:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?=122435

It make things really easy. He usually keeps the first message updated,
so just follow those instructions and you should be fine.

Robert

Re: First wireless setup] [ In reply to ]
I recently got a Linksys WPC54G wifi card working in my laptop using
ndiswrapper. I ran into a very frustrating roadblock during the
process, though, that was caused by one of the PC Card slots on my
lappy being dead. So, if you have difficulty getting your card
detected, try it in a different slot.

Just a helpful tip from my experience.

Matt

Re: First wireless setup] [ In reply to ]
hm I too have a linksys WPC45G, but that link told me the thread i was
looking for didnt exist
what steps did you take to get wireless working correctly with that card?
and is there an updated link i can follow?

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 11:09:02 -0400, Matthew Cline
<matthew.cline@gmail.com> wrote:
> I recently got a Linksys WPC54G wifi card working in my laptop using
> ndiswrapper. I ran into a very frustrating roadblock during the
> process, though, that was caused by one of the PC Card slots on my
> lappy being dead. So, if you have difficulty getting your card
> detected, try it in a different slot.
>
> Just a helpful tip from my experience.
>
> Matt
>

> On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 19:34:39 -0600, Robert Morris <robertm@idcomm.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 13:26, Grant wrote:
> > > I'm trying to set up wireless via a PCMCIA card. What needs to be
> > > done to my system to get that working? I made sure the card had Linux
> > > support before I bought it, I just don't know where to start with
> > > this. Maybe a good howto somewhere?
> > >
> > > - Grant
> >
> > As someone else pointed out, first emerge wireless-tools.
> > Then take a look at this thread in the forums:
> > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?=122435
> >
> > It make things really easy. He usually keeps the first message updated,
> > so just follow those instructions and you should be fine.
> >
> > Robert
> >
> > --

Ryan "Phoenix" Coates
ryan.coates@gmail.com

Re: First wireless setup] [ In reply to ]
Try this
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Wireless.html

>>> ryan.coates@gmail.com 20-Sep-04 11:21:40 PM >>>

<robertm@idcomm.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 13:26, Grant wrote:
> > > I'm trying to set up wireless via a PCMCIA card. What needs to
be
> > > done to my system to get that working? I made sure the card had
Linux
> > > support before I bought it, I just don't know where to start
with
> > > this. Maybe a good howto somewhere?
> > >
> > > - Grant
> >
> > As someone else pointed out, first emerge wireless-tools.
> > Then take a look at this thread in the forums:
> > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?=122435
> >
> > It make things really easy. He usually keeps the first message
updated,
> > so just follow those instructions and you should be fine.
> >
> > Robert
> >
> > --

Ryan "Phoenix" Coates
ryan.coates@gmail.com