Thanks from a Gentoo noob

Ryan "Phoenix" Coates
ryan.coates@gmail.com

Re: [normal] [gentoo-user] DVD playback [ In reply to ]
> I have a CDRW/DVD combo drive and i can view the contents of the DVD
> fine, xine bails on a plugin error, and Mplayer flickers abit, spins
> up the CDrom but plays nothing
>
> any ideas?

make sure that you have the "dvd" USE Flag active for xine-lib and the "dvd"
and "dvdread" USE Flags for mplayer. If not, switch on these flags and
recompile the two packages.

brgds, Marc

Re: Re: [normal] [gentoo-user] DVD playback [ In reply to ]
thanks for that marc
I re compiled mplayer with the dvdread options, xine already had +dvd
as it was part of my original use config
however i still get the problem with mplayer
the dvd spins up, the screen resizes and goes black, then drops back
down to the mplayer splash, the dvd still spins though, really odd
any more tips mate?

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 02:00:46 +0200, Marc Redmann <mr_spuck_2001@yahoo.de> wrote:
> > I have a CDRW/DVD combo drive and i can view the contents of the DVD
> > fine, xine bails on a plugin error, and Mplayer flickers abit, spins
> > up the CDrom but plays nothing
> >
> > any ideas?
>
> make sure that you have the "dvd" USE Flag active for xine-lib and the "dvd"
> and "dvdread" USE Flags for mplayer. If not, switch on these flags and
> recompile the two packages.
>
> brgds, Marc

Ryan "Phoenix" Coates
ryan.coates@gmail.com

Re: Re: [normal] [gentoo-user] DVD playback [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Did you try more DVDs, more chapters. The first chapter on a disc can be
useless intro chapter.
If you'd like DVD menus, you need ogle, or if you use KDE then okle.
You should create a /dev/dvd link to your drive to make thing easier.

HTH.
Cheers,
Tamas Sarga Sarga Tamas
Software Developer Szoftver fejleszto
Member of the Mozilla Quality Assurance Mozilla Quality Assurance tag
OpenOffice.org translator OpenOffice.org fordito

There are 10 types of people in this world. 10 féle amber van a világon,
Those who understand binary, and those az egyik amelyik ismeri a
who don't kettes számrendszert, és a
másik, amelyik nem

Re: Re: [normal] [gentoo-user] DVD playback [ In reply to ]
Tamas Sarga <tamas@wansite.homelinux.net> writes:

> If you'd like DVD menus, you need ogle, or if you use KDE then okle.
> You should create a /dev/dvd link to your drive to make thing easier.

Or Xine. Xine handles DVD menus perfectly for me.

Re: Re: [normal] [gentoo-user] DVD playback [ In reply to ]
> If you'd like DVD menus, you need ogle, or if you use KDE then okle.

not quite right, DVD menus can also be used with xine-ui in combination with
xine-lib.

brgds, Marc

Re: DVD playback [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 04:16, Ryan Coates wrote:
> ive set all the appropiate settings to /dev/cdrom
> will this cause problems? and should i make a link from /dev/cdrom to /dev/dvd?
> will an app likely treat them differently? didnt think it would

/dev/cdrom is likely a link too. now youve got /dev/dvd that is a 2nd
level link, so to speak.
would be better if you link dvd to the actual device, i.e. /dev/hdc

would apps treat them differently? well, an app will suppose that
/dev/dvd is a dvd driver and /dev/cdrom a cdrom unless you tell it
otherwise (like with xine. you could have as well configured xine to use
/dev/cdrom as your dvd device)

I have had that same error message with xine but it turned out it was
because I had no dvd device (I preffered to create it rather that to
modify xine's configuration) and I had not enough perms to access
/dev/hdd (my dvd drive).
After that error message came the error that told me the device didnt
exist or it didnt have enough perms

Was this the problem you had?

Re: DVD playback [ In reply to ]
hi guys, thanks for all your feed back
i fired im xine again and to my suprise it now plays DVDs, the only
thing i have done is re compiled mplayer with dvdread, which i noticed
added another piece of source, perhaps xine uses this also

now the only problem i have is xine crashes a few seconds after i go
into full screen mode :/

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 07:15:25 -0500, David Eduardo Gómez Noguera
<davidgn@servidor.unam.mx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 04:16, Ryan Coates wrote:
> > ive set all the appropiate settings to /dev/cdrom
> > will this cause problems? and should i make a link from /dev/cdrom to /dev/dvd?
> > will an app likely treat them differently? didnt think it would
> >

> /dev/cdrom is likely a link too. now youve got /dev/dvd that is a 2nd
> level link, so to speak.
> would be better if you link dvd to the actual device, i.e. /dev/hdc
>
> would apps treat them differently? well, an app will suppose that
> /dev/dvd is a dvd driver and /dev/cdrom a cdrom unless you tell it
> otherwise (like with xine. you could have as well configured xine to use
> /dev/cdrom as your dvd device)
>
> I have had that same error message with xine but it turned out it was
> because I had no dvd device (I preffered to create it rather that to
> modify xine's configuration) and I had not enough perms to access
> /dev/hdd (my dvd drive).
> After that error message came the error that told me the device didnt
> exist or it didnt have enough perms
>
> Was this the problem you had?
>
> > > check your devices existence and perms
> > >
> > > i.e. xine uses /dev/dvd by default.
> > > check that it exists and, if it is a link, that both have proper
> > > permissions.

Ryan "Phoenix" Coates
ryan.coates@gmail.com

Re: DVD playback [ In reply to ]
Probably you got installed this two libs:

* media-libs/libdvdcss
Latest version available: 1.2.8
Latest version installed: 1.2.8
Size of downloaded files: 204 kB
Homepage: http://developers.videolan.org/libdvdcss/
License: GPL-2

* media-libs/libdvdnav
Latest version available: 0.1.9

Xine uses both to decode and to menu navigation to play dvd's...
umm... it never crashes to me when I play dvd's... so I cann't help
you with that... does it give you some console error when it crashes?

David GP

Re: DVD playback [ In reply to ]
xine works fine
just compiled xine-ui and it works fine in fullscreen, must be gxine

thanks for all your help guys, this is one of the things i love most
about the linux community :)

off to a Lan party for the weekend, gotta get this battlefield ready now ;)

Ryan "Phoenix" Coates
ryan.coates@gmail.com

Re: DVD playback [ In reply to ]
yeah... maybe it is gxine... I just use xine-ui always... never tried
gxine... enjoy your dvd's :D

David GP

Re: DVD playback [ In reply to ]
You know about DeCSS right? I'm pretty sure you need it.

Re: DVD playback [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:11:04 -0500, William Pitcock <nenolod@gmail.com> wrote:
> You know about DeCSS right? I'm pretty sure you need it.

yeah... I know about it... but I don't use it... to decode the css you
just need libdvdcss, I think those are the libreries that xine use...
well... or maybe you want to ask me another thing about DeCSS?

David GP