Mailing List Archive

postfix + From based relayhost
okay.
two of my outgoing mailaccounts have now started to use SPF on their
machines, forcing me to switch accounts and start using outgoing
connections directly.

Now, for me this is actually unacceptable, since it requires a
mailspool to be kept in my mailclient instead of on my local system, and
it prolongs queue's until I recall to send things when I'm offline.
-bad-.

So, What I'm looking for is fairly simple. (heh. heh.)

postfix as smtp daemon on localhost:25. all email sent to postfix.

postfix then automagically relays the outgoing email based on the From
(envelope?) header towards the SPF enabled servers on the net. This is
where I need help, as I haven't yet managed to figure out -how- to do
this in a satisfying way.

Anyone got any ideas? I've been looking at the transport table, but
that only appears to work for inbound email, (To: ) not Outbound
selection.

//Spider

--
begin .signature
Tortured users / Laughing in pain
Re: postfix + From based relayhost [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 15:51, Spider wrote:
> So, What I'm looking for is fairly simple. (heh. heh.)
>
> postfix as smtp daemon on localhost:25. all email sent to postfix.
>
> postfix then automagically relays the outgoing email based on the From
> (envelope?) header towards the SPF enabled servers on the net. This is
> where I need help, as I haven't yet managed to figure out -how- to do
> this in a satisfying way.
>

> Anyone got any ideas? I've been looking at the transport table, but
> that only appears to work for inbound email, (To: ) not Outbound
> selection.

Spider,

You do like to ask the easy questions :)

Based upon my poking around, I'm not sure that it can be done with
Postfix. Everything I've tried always ends up using the To: address and
not the From: address

I guess it's time for a feature request now that SPF is gaining
momentum.
--
My Gentoo stuff: http://varnerfamily.org/pvarner/gentoo

Re: postfix + From based relayhost [ In reply to ]
begin quote
On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 22:55:26 -0500
Paul Varner <gentoo-user@varnerfamily.org> wrote:

> Spider,
>
> You do like to ask the easy questions :)

Thanks, I try my best. :) Most of the questions I have I can usually
answer myself, this one has been a bit less easy on me. :)

> Based upon my poking around, I'm not sure that it can be done with
> Postfix. Everything I've tried always ends up using the To: address
> and not the From: address

Okay, that is somewhat disheartening. I don't really want to change my
mta, but it seems that might just be ncecessary.

> I guess it's time for a feature request now that SPF is gaining
> momentum.

Yeah. I think so. Especially for all those who expect /bin/sendmail to
actually deliver their email correctly.

//Spider