portage tree? I'm getting antsy!!!
--
Free image hosting at http://www.rickserver.com

Gnome 2.8 [ In reply to ]
Anyone know when Gnome 2.8 ebuilds will be released?

Gill

Re: Gnome 2.8 [ In reply to ]
They're already in portage, but they're masked.

Re: Gnome 2.8 [ In reply to ]
Yeah i saw that on www.gentoo-portage.com. In the comments section it
said to wait till an ebuild was ready. Anyone used the masked ebuild
gor Gnome 2.8? And if so,. how does it work?

I'm planning on installing GEntoo this weekend and it would be great to
have Gnome 2.8.

Gill

Re: Gnome 2.8 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 18:15 -0500, R S Gill wrote:
> I'm planning on installing GEntoo this weekend and it would be great
> to have Gnome 2.8.

Probably better to have a working system first. Gnome 2.6.2 is good to
go at the moment. Its easier to fight build issues from a stable
platform.

See also a message I wrote last week about Gnome and its downstream
realization in distros:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/99345

That all said, if you want to contribute your new system as a testbed
for shaking the glitches out of the masked 2.8 ebuilds, by all means!

AfC
Sydney

--
Andrew Frederick Cowie
Operational Dynamics Consulting Pty Ltd

Stand up and be counted!

Register your Linux computers at http://counter.li.org/
Re: Gnome 2.8 [ In reply to ]
I've been using the gnome 2.8 ebuilds for a couple days now. No
problems yet, YMMV. Also, I had been using the masked evolution beta
stuff for a while before that, with great success.

Re: Gnome 2.8 [ In reply to ]
begin quote
On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 12:06:07 +0000
Theodore Reed <ted.reed@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been using the gnome 2.8 ebuilds for a couple days now. No
> problems yet, YMMV. Also, I had been using the masked evolution beta
> stuff for a while before that, with great success.

are you aslo using hal? There are some issues (cough cough) with that
and the bootup process, hopefully to be patched out in a short while
(for the latest release of the cd-burner it no longer kills cd's , yey)

//Spider

--
begin .signature
Tortured users / Laughing in pain
Re: Gnome 2.8 [ In reply to ]
I am, but I only recently enabled it to start at boot, so I haven't
rebooted with hal set to startup. Bug reference?

Re: Gnome 2.8 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 13:09:31 +0000, Theodore Reed <ted.reed@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am, but I only recently enabled it to start at boot, so I haven't
> rebooted with hal set to startup. Bug reference?
>

> On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 14:25:25 +0200, Spider <spider@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > begin quote
> > On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 12:06:07 +0000
> > Theodore Reed <ted.reed@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I've been using the gnome 2.8 ebuilds for a couple days now. No
> > > problems yet, YMMV. Also, I had been using the masked evolution beta
> > > stuff for a while before that, with great success.
> > >

> > are you aslo using hal? There are some issues (cough cough) with that
???????
> > and the bootup process, hopefully to be patched out in a short while
> > (for the latest release of the cd-burner it no longer kills cd's , yey)

You can tell I haven't kept up with gnome lately WTF is hal?

--
/\/\
(CR) Collins Richey

Re: Gnome 2.8 [ In reply to ]
> > > are you aslo using hal? There are some issues (cough cough) with that
> ???????

Go to this url: http://www.gnomejournal.org/gnome28_review.php and
read the section: "Improved hardware integration with GNOME Volume
Manager, HAL and Dbus"

David GP

Re: Gnome 2.8 [ In reply to ]
begin quote
On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 13:09:31 +0000
Theodore Reed <ted.reed@gmail.com> wrote:

Agh. Topposters

> I am, but I only recently enabled it to start at boot, so I haven't
> rebooted with hal set to startup. Bug reference?

none logged in Gentoo as of the moment, since the problem is an
upstream one (oh, hal didn't know what to do with /dev/vc* fex ;) ,
along with the auto-mount-everything, our (Gentoo) bad FHS following
(hi /media ;) together with dbus being poorly tested.

//Spider

Re: Gnome 2.8 [ In reply to ]
HAL is the Hardware Abstraction Layer

Gill