Antoine
--
G System, The Evolving GUniverse - http://www.g-system.at

Re: OT - passwords [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 22:18:15 +0200, Antoine wrote:

> I am trying to get postgresql up and running and some things are
> supposed to be done as postgres. In order to log in not from root one
> needs a password. So I change it to something I know from root, right?
> I just get
>
> rux root # passwd postgres
> passwd: Authentication token manipulation error

try:

# su postgres

Though it may not have a default shell set, so if that errors out try

# su postgres -s /bin/bash

IOW, as root you don't need to know the password to "become" a user. ;)
(Just another reason why you don't want anyone to know your root password!)

--
Lenroc

Re: Re: OT - passwords [ In reply to ]
If i understood, you wanna set the postgres user passwd... Just
take a look at /etc/shadow file and see if there is a line with the
postgres user... If there isn`t add one with all the fields blanked...

After that you can do the passwd postgres command... this should work...

forlin

Re: OT - passwords [ In reply to ]
On 15 Sep 2004, at 13:18, Antoine wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to get postgresql up and running and some things are
> supposed to be done as postgres.

If you installed from the ebuild (like you're supposed to), then
the postgres setup is already done for you.
Re: OT - passwords [ In reply to ]
I'm pretty sure I had to add the user manually, then again, I have
emerged 8.0.0_beta2... which happens to be hard-masked because "it's
beta, and probably not stable yet". In any case, I don't seem to be
able to provide a password... I will put a line in shadow and see how
it goes...
Cheers
Antoine

Re: OT - passwords [ In reply to ]
delete postgres user and recreate it with the sane uid and path.

Edit de /etc/passwd with vi and delete postgres user entry.

Regards,

--
Luis Morales