I build the iso image with the command:

# mkisofs -v -J -R -o image.iso backup.tar.gz

And finally burn the DVD with the command:

# cdrecord -vvv -dao blank=fast driveropts=burnfree dev=/dev/dvd image.iso

The resulting DVD gives read errors. Is that
because of the size of the file backup.tar.gz?

Regards

Romildo

Re: maximum file size in iso9660 [ In reply to ]
> Hello.
>
> What is the maximum file size allowed
> in a iso9660 filesystem?
>
> I am making a back up of my system into
> a DVD-RW disc. For that first I am
> archiving the interesting files with
> tar, and compressing with gzip:
>
> # tar -zcvf backup.tar.gz <interesting files>
>
> This results in a file of about 3GB. Then
> I build the iso image with the command:
>
> # mkisofs -v -J -R -o image.iso backup.tar.gz
>
> And finally burn the DVD with the command:
>
> # cdrecord -vvv -dao blank=fast driveropts=burnfree dev=/dev/dvd image.iso
>
> The resulting DVD gives read errors. Is that
> because of the size of the file backup.tar.gz?
>
> Regards
>
> Romildo

It as nothing to do with size. You are trying to burn a CDR format onto a
DVD. They are not the same. You need mkisofs and cdrecord versions that
have DVD support, i.e. dvdtools and dvdrecord.

Re: maximum file size in iso9660 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 11:40:09AM -0500, Brian Truter wrote:

> > What is the maximum file size allowed
> > in a iso9660 filesystem?
> >
> > I am making a back up of my system into
> > a DVD-RW disc. For that first I am
> > archiving the interesting files with
> > tar, and compressing with gzip:
> >
> > # tar -zcvf backup.tar.gz <interesting files>
> >
> > This results in a file of about 3GB. Then
> > I build the iso image with the command:
> >
> > # mkisofs -v -J -R -o image.iso backup.tar.gz
> >
> > And finally burn the DVD with the command:
> >
> > # cdrecord -vvv -dao blank=fast driveropts=burnfree dev=/dev/dvd image.iso
> >
> > The resulting DVD gives read errors. Is that
> > because of the size of the file backup.tar.gz?
>
> It as nothing to do with size. You are trying to burn a CDR format onto a
> DVD. They are not the same. You need mkisofs and cdrecord versions that
> have DVD support, i.e. dvdtools and dvdrecord.

Does not the latest cdrtools include support for DVD burning?
At least that is what I thought, as it is mentioned in the
cdrecord man page.

I have already burnt some DVD with cdrecord that work
without flaws. Both video and data DVDS.

If I split the backup.tar.gz file mentioned above in
pieces lesser than 1GB in size (giving 3 files), I have
success in reading the resulting DVD. That is what
is making me believe that the file size is what makes
trouble in this case.

Nonetheless I will test with dvdtools.

Romildo

Re: maximum file size in iso9660 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 12:36:12 -0300, romildo@uber.com.br wrote:

> What is the maximum file size allowed
> in a iso9660 filesystem?

2GB. It's the same for UDF, so you can't get around it that way either
(that's why DVD .VOB files are split into 1GB chunks).

--
Neil Bothwick

The dark ages were caused by the Y1K problem.