OT: adns 'Nameserver reports failure'
I'm using adns to do mx checking and I'm getting a record set,
NXDOMAIN, or 'Nameserver reports failure'. What exactly does
'Nameserver reports failure' mean? What kind of failure? Does this
mean the domain is bad?

If I do 'host -t mx dads.cc' (for example) I get the same result. The
nameserver is running bind.

-Josh

Re: OT: adns 'Nameserver reports failure' [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Josh Close wrote:

> I'm using adns to do mx checking and I'm getting a record set,
> NXDOMAIN, or 'Nameserver reports failure'. What exactly does
> 'Nameserver reports failure' mean? What kind of failure? Does this
> mean the domain is bad?
>
> If I do 'host -t mx dads.cc' (for example) I get the same result. The
> nameserver is running bind.

I ran dig directly against the server and got no response:

$ dig @NS2.SITEPROTECT.COM dads.cc

; <<>> DiG 9.2.3 <<>> @NS2.SITEPROTECT.COM dads.cc
;; global options: printcmd

Either the server is down, or not answering queries or the name server
entries are wrong.

--
Aj.
Sys. Admin / Developer

Re: OT: adns 'Nameserver reports failure' [ In reply to ]
That sucks, I have 49k+ domains that are being resolved like that.......oh well.

-Josh

Re: OT: adns 'Nameserver reports failure' [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Josh Close wrote:

> That sucks, I have 49k+ domains that are being resolved like that.......oh well.

I traced the recursive queries all the way to the servers for that domain
so it looks OK. Can you give me some more domains to test?

--
Aj.
Sys. Admin / Developer