I've set up grub to boot to one kernel image, but fallback to a safe
one just in case. How can I tell which one I've booted into?

- Grant

Re: Current kernel image? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 20:36:28 +0000, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've set up grub to boot to one kernel image, but fallback to a safe
> one just in case. How can I tell which one I've booted into?

uname -r

--
ciao,
cj

Re: Current kernel image? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 16:39:53 -0400, Comatose Jones
<comatose.jones@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 20:36:28 +0000, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've set up grub to boot to one kernel image, but fallback to a safe
> > one just in case. How can I tell which one I've booted into?
> >
> uname -r
>
> --
> ciao,
> cj

Beautiful, thank you.

- Grant

Re: Current kernel image? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 16:39:53 -0400, Comatose Jones
<comatose.jones@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 20:36:28 +0000, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've set up grub to boot to one kernel image, but fallback to a safe
> > one just in case. How can I tell which one I've booted into?
> >
> uname -r
>
> --
> ciao,
> cj

Actually, I'm only getting this:

system5 root # uname -r
2.4.27-hardened-r2

and I need to know if it's using this kernel image:

kernel-2.4.27-hardened-r2

or this one:

kernel-2.4.27-hardened-r2-fallback

Is there any way to tell?

- Grant

Re: Current kernel image? [ In reply to ]
if its compiled to do so you can get the config file in /proc/config.gz,
and you may be able to identify your kernel from that.

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 02:36:16 +0000

Re: Current kernel image? [ In reply to ]
Grant wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 16:39:53 -0400, Comatose Jones
><comatose.jones@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 20:36:28 +0000, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>I've set up grub to boot to one kernel image, but fallback to a safe
>>>one just in case. How can I tell which one I've booted into?
>>>

>>uname -r
>>
>>--
>>ciao,
>>cj
>>

>Actually, I'm only getting this:
>
>system5 root # uname -r
>2.4.27-hardened-r2
>
>and I need to know if it's using this kernel image:
>
>kernel-2.4.27-hardened-r2
>
>or this one:
>
>kernel-2.4.27-hardened-r2-fallback
>
>Is there any way to tell?

Run a "dmesg | head" and look at the top, It should resemble this:

Linux version 2.6.9-rc1-mm2 (root@bytepro) (gcc version 3.3.3 20040412
(Gentoo Linux 3.3.3-r6, ssp-3.3.2-2, pie-8.7.6)) #3 Mon Sep 13 16:53:57
MDT 2004

Note the "Mon Sep 13 16:53:57 MDT 2004" which is the time at which the
kernel was compialed. So if you know approximatly when you compialed
them, then you can tell from that.

Alex S.

Re: Current kernel image? [ In reply to ]
even easier than this (or my last post) is uname -a which gives the
compilation date/time of the kernel.

the dmesg buffer tends to be overwritten after a while, ie it is a fifo
which is only a certain size. therefore the information we were seeking
will disappear after a while (although should be available straight
after boot unless some repetitive error fills it up very very quickly)

Re: Current kernel image? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 14:59:42 +1200, Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz> wrote:
> even easier than this (or my last post) is uname -a which gives the
> compilation date/time of the kernel.
>
> the dmesg buffer tends to be overwritten after a while, ie it is a fifo
> which is only a certain size. therefore the information we were seeking
> will disappear after a while (although should be available straight
> after boot unless some repetitive error fills it up very very quickly)

That will work great. Thank you.

- Grant

Re: Current kernel image? [ In reply to ]
> the dmesg buffer tends to be overwritten after a while, ie it is a fifo
> which is only a certain size. therefore the information we were seeking
> will disappear after a while (although should be available straight
> after boot unless some repetitive error fills it up very very quickly)

Actually, if you run
dmesg -s 100000000
you'll probably get everything...

Re: Current kernel image? [ In reply to ]
James Hiscock wrote:
>>the dmesg buffer tends to be overwritten after a while, ie it is a fifo
>>which is only a certain size. therefore the information we were seeking
>>will disappear after a while (although should be available straight
>>after boot unless some repetitive error fills it up very very quickly)
>

> Actually, if you run
> dmesg -s 100000000
> you'll probably get everything...

If you get tired of that, just put something like this in your .bashrc
as either a user or root:

alias dmesg='dmesg -s 64000 | less'

64000 many need to increase... '| less' is optional....

James