Does anyone know of a good "IRC server setup on Gentoo" howto? I've
looked on Google and the Gentoo forums and there "Search function" is
very limited.

Does anyone have or prefer one IRCdaemon over another?

I would prefer an IRC daemon flavor that a lot of people use and has
support in the form of an emailing list or IRC channel... Thanks for
any suggestions.

GBloomberg

Re: OT: IRC server setup suggestions [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, GBloomberg wrote:

> I've been tasked with building an IRC server for use amongst our internal
> employee's. I don't know much about IRC but I've used Gentoo to build
> an interenal firewall and dns server, so I would think building an
> internal IRC server would'nt be too difficult with the right amount of research.
>
> Does anyone know of a good "IRC server setup on Gentoo" howto? I've
> looked on Google and the Gentoo forums and there "Search function" is
> very limited.
>
> Does anyone have or prefer one IRCdaemon over another?
>
> I would prefer an IRC daemon flavor that a lot of people use and has
> support in the form of an emailing list or IRC channel... Thanks for
> any suggestions.

Any particular reason you want to use IRC?

We have internal messaging but we are using Jabber since it supports SSL.

--
Aj.
Sys. Admin / Developer

Re: OT: IRC server setup suggestions [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 12:58:56 -0700, GBloomberg <fin.ack@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been tasked with building an IRC server for use amongst our internal
> employee's. I don't know much about IRC but I've used Gentoo to build
> an interenal firewall and dns server, so I would think building an
> internal IRC server would'nt be too difficult with the right amount of research.
>
> Does anyone know of a good "IRC server setup on Gentoo" howto? I've
> looked on Google and the Gentoo forums and there "Search function" is
> very limited.
>
> Does anyone have or prefer one IRCdaemon over another?

ngircd, in portage, is really the easiest ircd to configure I have
seen in my life. I have used many ircd and most are a real pain to
configure and I would not use them anymore because of that.

Hope this helps...

Baal
--
The conquering penguin of the tribe of UNIX...