Mailing List Archive

Sounds Level Problems in GNOME

Re: Sounds Level Problems in GNOME [ In reply to ]
Nicholas Pappas wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I recently switched over to GNOME (from KDE), but have been having some
> sound problems. Every time GNOME loads I the PCM audio levels are at 0.
> ~ All I have to do is adjust the volume, but it is still a nuisance.
> Does anyone have any ideas as to what my trouble might be?
>
> 'alsasound' shows the same levels as the GNOME volume control show.
> Adjusting and "saving" the values in alsasound fixes the problem for the
> current session, but the sounds will return to 0 when I reboot again.
> I am running the 2.6 kernel with the built in alsa kernel support and
> OSS interface.
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> Nick

If you have not added 'alsasound' to your boot runlevel using rc-update,
you might want to do that. The alsasound script is responsible for
running alsactl store at shutdown and alsactl restore at bootup.

HTH
Holly

Re: Sounds Level Problems in GNOME [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 23:11 +0200, Holly Bostick wrote:
> If you have not added 'alsasound' to your boot runlevel using rc-update,
> you might want to do that. The alsasound script is responsible for
> running alsactl store at shutdown and alsactl restore at bootup.

I have a similar problem - but in my case it's not a reboot issue (and
alsasound is run in boot). Anytime I log out of gnome, and then log in
again, the sound is zero'd. VERY strange.

Only on one desktop system, though - an almost identically configured
Gentoo laptop doesn't have the problem. Go figure.

<shrug>

AfC
Sydney

--
Andrew Frederick Cowie

OPERATIONAL DYNAMICS
Operations Consultants and Infrastructure Engineers

http://www.operationaldynamics.com/
Re: Sounds Level Problems in GNOME [ In reply to ]

Re: Sounds Level Problems in GNOME [ In reply to ]
Nicholas Pappas wrote:
> Thanks Holly. I gave added 'alsasound' to the boot runlevel last
> night, but my audio was still zero'd out this morning when I reboot the
> computer. :(
> My audio may reset itself when I log out and back into GNOME too. I
> just never log out, so I don't worry about that -- but I do turn the
> computer off at night. ;)
>
> Holly Bostick wrote:
> | If you have not added 'alsasound' to your boot runlevel using rc-update,
> | you might want to do that. The alsasound script is responsible for
> | running alsactl store at shutdown and alsactl restore at bootup.

I also found that in addition to putting alsasound in your boot level,
you also need to run alsamixer one time to set *its* levels-- setting
them in gnome-volume-control or KMix or whatever is not sufficient.

You would think that the WM volume control and alsamixer would be linked
to each other, and they kind of are, but from experience, they also kind
of are not.

Once you explicitly set the alsamixer levels (and, just for safety's
sake, I tend to run alsactl store right after that), they should then be
able to be stored by alsactl-- at the moment, they appear to still be at
the default "0".

I don't understand it, but this usually fixes this problem for me--
sorry I forgot this other needed step in my first post.

Holly

Re: Sounds Level Problems in GNOME [ In reply to ]
Nicholas Pappas wrote:
> Thanks Holly. I gave added 'alsasound' to the boot runlevel last
> night, but my audio was still zero'd out this morning when I reboot the
> computer. :(
> My audio may reset itself when I log out and back into GNOME too. I
> just never log out, so I don't worry about that -- but I do turn the
> computer off at night. ;)

when you get your settings right, do a "alsactl store" as root, and it
will keep those settings between reboots.