Mailing List Archive

Thunderbird-bin could not work in a new installation with the error--locale not supported by Xlib.
Hi all:

I have a new gentoo installation. After installed the base system. I emerged
xorg-x11 and gnome. And i have set the locale to "zh_CN.gb18030". Then i
have installed the thunderbird-bin.
When i want to run it, there are some messages i have getten.

hartt@hartt hartt $ thunderbird-bin
/opt/thunderbird/mozilla-xremote-client: Error: Failed to find a running
server.No running windows found
(thunderbird-bin:6940): Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by Xlib
(thunderbird-bin:6940): Gdk-WARNING **: can not set locale modifiers
(thunderbird-bin:6940): Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by Xlib
(thunderbird-bin:6940): Gdk-WARNING **: can not set locale modifiers
hartt@hartt hartt $

But when i run it as the superuser. I got the follow messages:

root@hartt hartt # thunderbird-bin
/opt/thunderbird/mozilla-xremote-client: Error: Failed to find a running
server.No running windows found
(thunderbird-bin:6966): Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by Xlib
(thunderbird-bin:6966): Gdk-WARNING **: can not set locale modifiers

Then it could run well.

And my make.conf is:

CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium4 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
USE="apache2 mmx sse cjk nls unicode tiff -qt arts -kde opengl"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86"

--
ÈñÒµÈí·þ
tel:086 592 2086411

Thunderbird-bin could not work in a new installation with the error--locale not supported by Xlib. [ In reply to ]
Sorry, the above message has not been finished.

And in my gnome-terminal, the chinese words could not display correctly.
In Nautilus all the file and directory with chinese name could not display
correctly.

I am blind with it now. Could someone pick me up?

Thanks in advance!

Wang Penghui

--
ÈñÒµÈí·þ
tel:086 592 2086411

Re: Thunderbird-bin could not work in a new installation with the error--locale not supported by Xlib. [ In reply to ]
鹏辉 王 wrote:

> When i want to run it, there are some messages i have getten.
>
> hartt@hartt hartt $ thunderbird-bin

Why's everyone trying to run <mozilla-client>-bin? You don't.
You start the program by calling "thunderbird" (in your
case).

If you start "thunderbird" (ie. NOT thunderbird-bin!) from an
official mozilla.org build, do you get the same error message(s)?

Alexander Skwar
--
panic("aha1740.c"); /* Goodbye */
2.2.16 /usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi/aha1740.c

Re: Re: Thunderbird-bin could not work in a new installation with the error--locale not supported by Xlib. [ In reply to ]
Alexander W. Skwar wrote:
> �� � wrote:
>

>>When i want to run it, there are some messages i have getten.
>>
>>hartt@hartt hartt $ thunderbird-bin
>

> Why's everyone trying to run <mozilla-client>-bin? You don't.
> You start the program by calling "thunderbird" (in your
> case).

Not if you've installed the binary compiled package (emerge
mozilla-thunderbird-bin) instead of compiling it yourself (emerge
mozilla-thunderbird). The resulting executable for the pre-compiled
binary is 'thunderbird-bin'; the resulting self-compiled executable is
'thunderbird'. They even have separate icons (though they're the same
icon, they are named differently; one with the bin, one without).

> If you start "thunderbird" (ie. NOT thunderbird-bin!) from an
> official mozilla.org build, do you get the same error message(s)?
>
> Alexander Skwar

As to the original question, is there a locale in fact set? I recently
discovered, after my reinstall, that the locale was set to 'C', which
prevented me from installing programs thar required an explicit locale
(like OpenOffice).

I did not notice any problems with Thunderbird (bin), but then again I
don't generally start it from a term. In any case, does exporting a
specific locale before starting T-bird stop the errors?

Holly

Re: Thunderbird-bin could not work in a new installation with the error--locale not supported by Xlib. [ In reply to ]
Holly Bostick wrote:
> Alexander W. Skwar wrote:
>
>>�� � wrote:
>>

>>>When i want to run it, there are some messages i have getten.
>>>
>>>hartt@hartt hartt $ thunderbird-bin
>>

>>Why's everyone trying to run <mozilla-client>-bin? You don't.
>>You start the program by calling "thunderbird" (in your
>>case).
>

> Not if you've installed the binary compiled package (emerge
> mozilla-thunderbird-bin) instead of compiling it yourself (emerge
> mozilla-thunderbird). The resulting executable for the pre-compiled
> binary is 'thunderbird-bin'; the resulting self-compiled executable is
> 'thunderbird'.

With "executable" you mean script, don't you? Because in the official
distribution, there's also a "thunderbird-bin", which is the main binary,
and there's "thunderbird", which is a wrapper script setting some
needed env. variables.

The "thunderbird-bin" from the official distribution doesn't have
anything to do with the "thunderbird-bin" the OP is referring to,
do I understand you right? Ie. here thunderbird-bin is
/usr/bin/thunderbird-bin being a symlink to mozilla-launcher?

> I did not notice any problems with Thunderbird (bin), but then again I
> don't generally start it from a term. In any case, does exporting a
> specific locale before starting T-bird stop the errors?

I doubt that this is a real error causing him to be unable to start
the program. The actual error is this, I think:

Re: Re: Thunderbird-bin could not work in a new installation with the error--locale not supported by Xlib. [ In reply to ]
Alexander W. Skwar wrote:
> Holly Bostick wrote:
>
>>Alexander W. Skwar wrote:

>>>Why's everyone trying to run <mozilla-client>-bin? You don't.
>>>You start the program by calling "thunderbird" (in your
>>>case).
>>

>>Not if you've installed the binary compiled package (emerge
>>mozilla-thunderbird-bin) instead of compiling it yourself (emerge
>>mozilla-thunderbird). The resulting executable for the pre-compiled
>>binary is 'thunderbird-bin'; the resulting self-compiled executable is
>>'thunderbird'.
>

> With "executable" you mean script, don't you? Because in the official
> distribution, there's also a "thunderbird-bin", which is the main binary,
> and there's "thunderbird", which is a wrapper script setting some
> needed env. variables.
>
> The "thunderbird-bin" from the official distribution doesn't have
> anything to do with the "thunderbird-bin" the OP is referring to,
> do I understand you right? Ie. here thunderbird-bin is
> /usr/bin/thunderbird-bin being a symlink to mozilla-launcher?

On my system (using the precompiled binary in Portage), both
'thunderbird' and 'thunderbird-bin' are symlinks to
/usr/libexec/mozilla-launcher.

The new thing is that now both 'thunderbird' and 'thunderbird-bin' both
serve to launch Thunderbird. Previously (I don't know whether it's
because of an upgrade in Thunderbird itself, or one in mozilla-launcher
-- probably the latter), only thunderbird-bin would actually start the
program; thunderbird alone just errored out with 'couldn't find *.js"
errors unless I had actually emerged the compile-it-yourself Thunderbird
(under which enigmail refused to work for some reason).

So you're right, you can just use 'thunderbird', now.

But the original post does not really indicate whether the OP has
emerged one of the T-bird versions available in Portage, or is using the
one from the Mozilla site.

>>I did not notice any problems with Thunderbird (bin), but then again I
>>don't generally start it from a term. In any case, does exporting a
>>specific locale before starting T-bird stop the errors?
>

> I doubt that this is a real error causing him to be unable to start
> the program. The actual error is this, I think:
>
> /opt/thunderbird/mozilla-xremote-client: Error: Failed to find a running
> server.No running windows found
>
> Alexander Skwar

No *that's* the one that isn't a real error. It occurs with both Firefox
and Thunderbird, but does not prevent either from starting. It seems to
just be an internal error (that should have been removed), that says
"Thunderbird/Firefox is not already open", after which it proceeds to
open the program.

Holly

Re: Thunderbird-bin could not work in a new installation with the error--locale not supported by Xlib. [ In reply to ]
Check the ownership of the files in your home directory (especially
.thunderbird). IIRC, if you started thunderbird while su'd, the owner
would be "root". So when you try starting thunderbird as a regular user,
you would not have permission to access the local profile.
Bob