Bruno Lustosa, aka Lofofora | Email: bruno@lustosa.net
Network Administrator/Web Programmer | ICQ: 1406477
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil |

Re: nvidia [ In reply to ]
Quoting Bruno Lustosa <bruno.lists@gmail.com>:

> If I try to switch to a console (ctrl-alt-f1, for example), or when I
> shut X down, all I get is a garbled screen, with pink and white lines.
> Does anyone else have experienced glitches with nvidia drivers as
> well? Kernel here is 2.6.7-r13.

Hi, I use Nvidia and a 2.6 kernel. I had previously had probs with an older ver
of the kernel, but now I use 2.6.8 and everything seems to be fine. If you
serach the gentoo forums, you'll notice a few peeps complaining of the same
problems.

Re: nvidia [ In reply to ]
Bruno Lustosa wrote:
> The fact is, once I get to graphics mode, I can no longer get back to
> console.

If you're running a FB console try disabling it.

Re: nvidia [ In reply to ]
Quoting Norberto Bensa <norberto+gentoo-user@bensa.ath.cx>:

> Bruno Lustosa wrote:
> > The fact is, once I get to graphics mode, I can no longer get back to
> > console.
>
> If you're running a FB console try disabling it.

Good point, use a normal console, and you should have no probs.

Re: nvidia [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 12:59:45 -0300, Norberto Bensa
<norberto+gentoo-user@bensa.ath.cx> wrote:
> Bruno Lustosa wrote:
> > The fact is, once I get to graphics mode, I can no longer get back to
> > console.
>
> If you're running a FB console try disabling it.

hehe... no framebuffer here, but I'll try the 2.6.8 kernel.

Thank you!

Re: nvidia [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 12:59:45 -0300, Norberto Bensa
<norberto+gentoo-user@bensa.ath.cx> wrote:
> Bruno Lustosa wrote:
> > The fact is, once I get to graphics mode, I can no longer get back to
> > console.
>
> If you're running a FB console try disabling it.

And if you're not running a framebuffer console, try the vesa framebuffer.
Under no circumstances use the "riva" framebuffer in the kernel - it
causes problems like this.

--
Calvin Walton

Re: nvidia [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 19:32:57 -0400, Calvin Walton
<calvin.walton@gmail.com> wrote:
> And if you're not running a framebuffer console, try the vesa framebuffer.
> Under no circumstances use the "riva" framebuffer in the kernel - it
> causes problems like this.

Ok, one more thing to try. I have used the rivafb on another machine
of mine, worked pretty good until I start X. Then, the console goes
bye bye.
However, it's really cool to be able to get a 1920x1440 framebuffer
console just to watch 'bb'. No other real use though.

Thanks

Re: nvidia [ In reply to ]
I have a similar problem in that when I logout of kde I can't get back
to the console, all I get is a black screen. It's as if the X server is
not exiting properly. Can you explain how I would disable a framebuffer
console if indeed you believe this to be the problem?

---
Tony Walker

Re: nvidia [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 08:49:11 -0600, Tony W. <tonywebman@telusplanet.net> wrote:
> I have a similar problem in that when I logout of kde I can't get back
> to the console, all I get is a black screen. It's as if the X server is
> not exiting properly. Can you explain how I would disable a framebuffer
> console if indeed you believe this to be the problem?

You can try X with a text console in the following way:
1. boot your machine
2. if you're using lilo, keep "shift" pressed until it stops at the
"LILO: " prompt. if you're using grub, see the docs, I don't use it
and don't know how to pass parameters to the kernel
3. type "linux vga=normal", if your kernel image is named "linux". You
can check this by pressing tab twice
4. this should get you to a text console.

If this doesn't help, I think you might need to recompile the kernel,
disabling the framebuffer.

Re: nvidia [ In reply to ]
ok, this solves it temporary, but to just stop booting w/fb you have to
edit /etc/lilo.conf. There should be a line saying "vga=<some number>",
change this to "vga=normal".

Again, for grub --> see docs (it is the same parameter on a different spot I
think)...

succes,
Sebastiaan

wrote:
> I have a similar problem in that when I logout of kde I can't get back
> to the console, all I get is a black screen. It's as if the X server is
> not exiting properly. Can you explain how I would disable a framebuffer
> console if indeed you believe this to be the problem?

You can try X with a text console in the following way:
1. boot your machine
2. if you're using lilo, keep "shift" pressed until it stops at the
"LILO: " prompt. if you're using grub, see the docs, I don't use it
and don't know how to pass parameters to the kernel
3. type "linux vga=normal", if your kernel image is named "linux". You
can check this by pressing tab twice
4. this should get you to a text console.

If this doesn't help, I think you might need to recompile the kernel,
disabling the framebuffer.

--
"Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems." -
Linus Torvald