called transset, which I thought was supposed to set the transparency
of windows in X. However, I haven't been able to get it to work.

How does one take advantage of the transparency in the new release of
Xorg? I'd love to be able to have a truly transparent Aterm, but I
can't figure out how. Anyone know how to do this?

Also, what's thie xcompmgr I keep hearing about? Is it related at all?

Thanks!

-Andy

Re: Transparency in Xorg 6.8.0 [ In reply to ]
xcompmgr needs to be installed and running before you run transset,
however if you use gnome you'll have problems with window sizes
becoming full screen and overwriting taskbars. I haven't been able to
figure that one out yet, but it works fine in kde.

try:

xcompmgr -c &
then run your transset command

Re: Transparency in Xorg 6.8.0 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 09:29:42 -0400, fs2k155 <fs2k155@gmail.com> wrote:
> xcompmgr needs to be installed and running before you run transset,
> however if you use gnome you'll have problems with window sizes
> becoming full screen and overwriting taskbars. I haven't been able to
> figure that one out yet, but it works fine in kde.
>
> try:
>
> xcompmgr -c &
> then run your transset command

I emerge xcompmgr and tried running it, but got the following error:
"No Composite Extension"

I'm guessing I have to turn something on in my xorg.conf. What might it be?
Thanks!

-Andy

Re: Transparency in Xorg 6.8.0 [ In reply to ]
I'm also interested in this. From what I've found, you have to add:
Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection
to your Xorg config.

Alex S.

Re: Transparency in Xorg 6.8.0 [ In reply to ]
Hi Andy.

There are lots of howtos out there, and I wont start another one. Take a
look at http://www.gentoo-wiki.com and http://forums.gentoo.org. Don't
remember where, but on one of these had a pretty straight howto on
transparency in the new release.

HTH, David

Re: Transparency in Xorg 6.8.0 [ In reply to ]
Follow the recommendations above, but early adapters are reporting
that the code is not ready for prime time - transparency can eat your
cpu!

My $.02, unless you are a "gotta have the latest" type, be patient and
wait for a version that works.

--
/\/\
(CR) Collins Richey

Re: Transparency in Xorg 6.8.0 [ In reply to ]
Well got it working, but...
so...bloody....slow...
WIth xcompmgr running everything starts going really slow. I did
everything in the howtoo, but it still went slow. And I have a P4 2.2
laptop w/ a Geforce 4. Is it just really inefficient right now, or
did I miss something?

Also, what are the different options for xcompmgr? I couldn't find a man page.

-Andy

Re: Transparency in Xorg 6.8.0 [ In reply to ]
If you have a nvidia card, you can set the RenderAccel option to
"true" in your Driver section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf. That'll speed
things up a little bit, especially when drawing shadows (using the -c
option)

Re: Transparency in Xorg 6.8.0 [ In reply to ]

Re: Transparency in Xorg 6.8.0 [ In reply to ]
Did that. Didn't see a huge difference.
Though in all fairness. I was emerging something in the background
(not niced), so the CPU was already being hammered. However, without
xcompmgr I could drag windows around w/o any problem, even under the
heavy load.

I think I'll wait till this has become more mature before using it.

-Andy

Re: Transparency in Xorg 6.8.0 [ In reply to ]
On Monday 13 September 2004 11:06 am, Peter Ruskin wrote:
> On Monday 13 September 2004 15:58, Andrew Derby wrote:
> > You also need to have turned on
> > the composite & render extensions in your xorg.conf -
> >
> > Section "Extensions"
> > Option     "Composite"     "Enable"
> > Option     "RENDER"        "Enable"
> > EndSection
>
> ...which prevents Win4Lin from starting.
Peter,
Can this be corrected?

Mike
--
Michael W. Holdeman

Powered by Gentoo Linux www.gentoo.org 2004.0
Kernel 2.6.7-win4lin-r3
Windows apps thanks to Win4Lin 5.1.16 netraverse.com
Wireless thanks to ndiswrapper

Re: Transparency in Xorg 6.8.0 [ In reply to ]
On Monday 13 September 2004 01:24 pm, Peter Ruskin wrote:
> On Monday 13 September 2004 17:13, Michael W. Holdeman wrote:

> > > ...which prevents Win4Lin from starting.
> >
> > Peter,
> > Can this be corrected?
>
> Easily, by removing that "Extensions" section from xorg.conf.

Well yea, but that removes the transparency as well!

Mike

Re: Transparency in Xorg 6.8.0 [ In reply to ]
Indeed, you'll have to wait for win4lin to support the newest xorg.
OR, you'll have to wait until there's a new release of xcompmgr wich
fixes this bug.