Mailing List Archive

dm everywhere in vim
I am not sure why. I have many Gentoo installations, I can ssh login to
each box and use vim with color just fine, however on one server, if I
login through ssh, and launch vim, it's mono (not colorful) and it
display "dm" everywhere, mess up my documents when editing.

It looks like this (what's the problem)

)dm~
~

~

~

~

~ VIM - Vi
IMproved
~

~ version
6.2.294
~ by Bram Moolenaar et
al.
~ Vim is open source and freely
distributable
~

~ Become a registered Vim
user!
~ type :help register)dm<Enter> for
information
~

~ type :q)dm<Enter> to
exit
~ type :help)dm<Enter> or )dm<F1> for on-line
help
~ type :help version6)dm<Enter> for version
info
~

~

~

~

~

Re: dm everywhere in vim [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2004-09-12 at 13:27, Zhang Weiwu wrote:

> I am not sure why. I have many Gentoo installations, I can ssh login to
> each box and use vim with color just fine, however on one server, if I
> login through ssh, and launch vim, it's mono (not colorful) and it
> display "dm" everywhere, mess up my documents when editing.

Try running

# env-update && source /etc/profile

before using vim
Re: dm everywhere in vim [ In reply to ]
Mark Brier wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-09-12 at 13:27, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
>
>>/I am not sure why. I have many Gentoo installations, I can ssh login to
>>each box and use vim with color just fine, however on one server, if I
>>login through ssh, and launch vim, it's mono (not colorful) and it
>>display "dm" everywhere, mess up my documents when editing./
>>

> Try running
>
> # env-update && source /etc/profile
>
> before using vim

This does not work for me:(

I wonder why I have several boxes runing, only this one, doesn't look
special, has this wired problem. Perhaps I'm just bad luck?

zhangweiwu@Gentoo ~ $ ssh myserver
Last login: Mon Sep 13 08:42:05 2004 from 218.85.101.67
zhangweiwu@server zhangweiwu $ su
Password:
root@server zhangweiwu # env-update
>>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
* Caching service dependencies...
[ ok ]
root@server zhangweiwu # source /etc/profile
server zhangweiwu # vim

)dm~
~

~

~

~

~ VIM - Vi IMproved

~

~ version 6.2.294

~ by Bram Moolenaar et al.

~ Vim is open source and freely distributable

~

~ Help poor children in Uganda!

~ type :help iccf)dm<Enter> for information

~

~ type :q)dm<Enter> to exit

~ type :help)dm<Enter> or )dm<F1> for on-line help

~ type :help version6)dm<Enter> for version info

~

~

~

~

~

0,0-1
All

Re: dm everywhere in vim [ In reply to ]
Zhang Weiwu wrote:

> )dm~ ~
> ~
> ~
> ~
> ~ VIM - Vi IMproved
> ~
> ~ version 6.2.294
> ~ by Bram Moolenaar et al.
> ~ Vim is open source and freely distributable
> ~
> ~ Help poor children in Uganda!
> ~ type :help iccf)dm<Enter> for information
> ~
> ~ type :q)dm<Enter> to exit
> ~ type :help)dm<Enter> or )dm<F1> for on-line help
> ~ type :help version6)dm<Enter> for version info
> ~
> ~
> ~
> ~
> ~
> 0,0-1
> All

Okay, I realized it must have something to do with the terminal. This
does occur only when I use rxvt to use vim on that specific remote
server. If i use other terminal (xterm) or use vim on other server this
does not happen.

Re: dm everywhere in vim [ In reply to ]
Hi,

* Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@realss.com> [13/09/04 04:18]:
> Mark Brier wrote:
> >On Sun, 2004-09-12 at 13:27, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> >
> >>/I am not sure why. I have many Gentoo installations, I can ssh login to
> >>each box and use vim with color just fine, however on one server, if
> >>I login through ssh, and launch vim, it's mono (not colorful) and it
> >>display "dm" everywhere, mess up my documents when editing./

Does this happen also on the graphical version, or only the console one?
What happens if you work directly on the server (no ssh)? What terminal
are you using? What is the value of $TERM after you ssh? Can you send
the output of :version and of :set?

Moshe
Re: dm everywhere in vim [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 21:27:15 +0800, Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@realss.com> wrote:
> I am not sure why. I have many Gentoo installations, I can ssh login to
> each box and use vim with color just fine, however on one server, if I
> login through ssh, and launch vim, it's mono (not colorful) and it
> display "dm" everywhere, mess up my documents when editing.

This is probably not helpful, but I had the same problem when using
aterm on my system locally. It didn't happen when using xterm.

- Grant

Re: Re: dm everywhere in vim [ In reply to ]
Moshe Kaminsky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> * Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@realss.com> [13/09/04 04:18]:
>
>>Mark Brier wrote:

> Does this happen also on the graphical version, or only the console one?
Only on graphical login using rxvt. Xterm no problem.
> What happens if you work directly on the server (no ssh)? What terminal
No problem directly on the server.
> are you using? What is the value of $TERM after you ssh? Can you send
$TERM value is 'rxvt'
> the output of :version and of :set?
Thank you for telling me all these extra information that I shouldn't
provided in first post:)

:set
*dm--- Options ---
autoindent hlsearch scroll=11 ttyfast
backspace=2 nomodeline shiftwidth=4
ttymouse=xterm
history=50 ruler tabstop=4
viminfo='20,"500
fileencodings=utf-8

:version
VIM - Vi IMproved 6.2 (2003 Jun 1, compiled Apr 18 2004 02:03:17)
Included patches: 1-294
Compiled by root@hackles
Huge version without GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
+arabic +autocmd -balloon_eval -browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent
-clientserver -clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info
+comments
+cryptv +cscope +dialog_con +diff +digraphs -dnd -ebcdic +emacs_tags +eval
+ex_extra +extra_search +farsi +file_in_path +find_in_path +folding -footer
+fork() +gettext -hangul_input +iconv +insert_expand +jumplist +keymap
+langmap
+libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds +localmap +menu +mksession
+modify_fname +mouse -mouseshape +mouse_dec -mouse_gpm -mouse_jsbterm
+mouse_netterm +mouse_xterm +multi_byte +multi_lang -netbeans_intg
-osfiletype
+path_extra +perl +postscript +printer +python +quickfix +rightleft -ruby
+scrollbind +signs +smartindent -sniff +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax
+tag_binary +tag_old_static -tag_any_white -tcl -terminfo +termresponse
+textobjects +title -toolbar +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual
+visualextra +viminfo +vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup
-X11 -xfontset -xim -xsmp -xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
system vimrc file: "/etc/vim/vimrc"
user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/share/vim"
[...]
Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -O2 -march=pentium4
-fomit-f
rame-pointer -pipe -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
-I/usr/lib/perl
5/5.8.2/i686-linux/CORE -I/usr/include/python2.3 -pthread
Linking: gcc -rdynamic -L/usr/local/lib -o vim -ltermcap -ldl
-rdynam
ic -L/usr/local/lib
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.2/i686-linux/auto/DynaLoader/DynaLoader.
a -L/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.2/i686-linux/CORE -lperl -ldl -lutil -lc
-L/usr/lib/pytho
n2.3/config -lpython2.3 -lpthread -ldl -lutil -lm -Xlinker -export-dynamic

Re: dm everywhere in vim [ In reply to ]
* Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@realss.com> [14/09/04 04:31]:
> Moshe Kaminsky wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >* Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@realss.com> [13/09/04 04:18]:

> >Does this happen also on the graphical version, or only the console one?
> Only on graphical login using rxvt. Xterm no problem.
> >What happens if you work directly on the server (no ssh)? What terminal
> No problem directly on the server.
> >are you using? What is the value of $TERM after you ssh? Can you send
> $TERM value is 'rxvt'
> >the output of :version and of :set?
> Thank you for telling me all these extra information that I shouldn't
> provided in first post:)
>
> :set
> *dm--- Options ---
> autoindent hlsearch scroll=11 ttyfast
> backspace=2 nomodeline shiftwidth=4
> ttymouse=xterm
> history=50 ruler tabstop=4
> viminfo='20,"500
> fileencodings=utf-8

I don't see anything definite, but there are a few things I'd try: try
unsetting ttyfast. Also, it appears below that you don't use terminfo.
This probably means you have -ncurses in the USE flags. Might be that if
you recompile with +ncurses it will solve the problem (this will install
the ncurses library, if not yet installed). If you don't want to do
this, try ":set term=rxvt" in vim, and see what happens. If you choose
to use terminfo, you may want to check :help rxvt . That's all I can
think of.

Moshe

PS: You can use :redir to redirect the output of vim commands to a file.

> [...]
> -X11 -xfontset -xim -xsmp -xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
> system vimrc file: "/etc/vim/vimrc"
> user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
> user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
> fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/share/vim"
> Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -O2 -march=pentium4
> -fomit-f
> rame-pointer -pipe -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
> -I/usr/lib/perl
> 5/5.8.2/i686-linux/CORE -I/usr/include/python2.3 -pthread
> Linking: gcc -rdynamic -L/usr/local/lib -o vim -ltermcap -ldl
> -rdynam
> ic -L/usr/local/lib
> /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.2/i686-linux/auto/DynaLoader/DynaLoader.
> a -L/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.2/i686-linux/CORE -lperl -ldl -lutil -lc
> -L/usr/lib/pytho
> n2.3/config -lpython2.3 -lpthread -ldl -lutil -lm -Xlinker -export-dynamic

-- Douglas Adams

Moshe Kaminsky <kaminsky@math.huji.ac.il>
Home: 08-9456841
Re: dm everywhere in vim [ In reply to ]
wrote:
| I am not sure why. I have many Gentoo installations, I can ssh login
| to each box and use vim with color just fine, however on one server,
| if I login through ssh, and launch vim, it's mono (not colorful) and
| it display "dm" everywhere, mess up my documents when editing.
|
| It looks like this (what's the problem)

You probably compiled with USE="-ncurses". Not generally a good idea to
do that with vim if you're using something that isn't xterm.

--
Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, Fluxbox)
Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm