want it now. Ho can I do it?

Regards,

Daniel

Re: installing gentoo from stage1 with new kernel, headers and gcc [ In reply to ]
Hello, Samuel.

12.09.2004, 12:12 you wrote:
Samuel Rabinowich> How is it possoble that bootstrap-2.6
Samuel Rabinowich> -f doesn't do the job? I know
Samuel Rabinowich> i can do it after installation, but I
Samuel Rabinowich> want it now. Ho can I do it?
Samuel Rabinowich> Regards,
Samuel Rabinowich> Daniel

Just do the usual bootstrap.
Bootstrap does not install 2.6 kernel.
I installed 2.6 then after normal bootstrapping, so it works well now.
--
WBR,
Alex Stark

Re: installing gentoo from stage1 with new kernel, headers and gcc [ In reply to ]
Hi

I'm no talking about tke kernel (sorry if i did). I am talking about
kernel26-headers and gcc-3.4. How should i bootstrap that ...?

Daniel

Re: installing gentoo from stage1 with new kernel, headers and gcc [ In reply to ]
I had to do it manually by modifying the virtual file in
/usr/portage/profiles/default-x86-2004.2. I modified the line
virtual/os-headers sys-kernel/linux-headers
to use sys-kernel/linux26-headers instead.

Another complication is that the 2.4 kernel headers interfere. So before
bootstrapping first emerge patch, then unmerge linux-headers, and then
emerge linux26-headers. If you don't install patch first, you'll have to
untar the 1st stage again.

Good luck:)

Re: installing gentoo from stage1 with new kernel, headers and gcc [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 17:55:51 +0200, Samuel Rabinowich
<rabinowich@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm no talking about tke kernel (sorry if i did). I am talking about
> kernel26-headers and gcc-3.4. How should i bootstrap that ...?

The essential difference (there may be other tiny differences) with
the 2.6 bootstrap is that the 2.6 headers are installed and glibc (the
only function that uses the headers) is compiled with the headers.
Assuming that the bootstrap completes, you are read to go with Stage 2
And, of course, choose a 2.6 kernel when it's time to install the
kernel. If the bootstrap fails, let us know with specific error
messages.

FWIW, I didn't bootstrap this way, but I've been using 2.6 headers
(and nptl) for better than 6 months. There were some problems with
mplayer, but those were resolved months ago.

Enjoy,

--
/\/\
(CR) Collins Richey

Re: installing gentoo from stage1 with new kernel, headers and gcc [ In reply to ]
You have to boot first from live-cd with the smp kernel.
Before the boostrap
echo "=sys-kernel/linux26-headers-2.6.7* -*" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
Then unistall the 2.4 headers
emerge -C linux-headers
Install the 2.6.* headers
emerge --oneshot --nodeps linux26-headers
Change the referings from linux-headers to linux26-headers in the virtuals file.
nano /etc/make.profile/virtuals
Start the bootstrap.
And if you want nptl support you have to put nptl in use flags.

Samuel Rabinowich(rabinowich@gmail.com)@Sun, Sep 12, 2004 at 11:12:19AM +0200:

Re: installing gentoo from stage1 with new kernel, headers and gcc [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 20:09:28 +0300, Agath_Xatzim <zkom_x@yahoo.gr> wrote:
> You have to boot first from live-cd with the smp kernel.
> Before the boostrap
> echo "=sys-kernel/linux26-headers-2.6.7* -*" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
> Then unistall the 2.4 headers
> emerge -C linux-headers
> Install the 2.6.* headers
> emerge --oneshot --nodeps linux26-headers
> Change the referings from linux-headers to linux26-headers in the virtuals file.
> nano /etc/make.profile/virtuals
> Start the bootstrap.
> And if you want nptl support you have to put nptl in use flags.

Excellent. If would save users a lot of grief if that were in the
available documentation. Of course, at this late date and time, I
don't understand why there isn't an option to install a full-bore 2.6
system without any need to screw around with this.

--
/\/\

Re: installing gentoo from stage1 with new kernel, headers and gcc [ In reply to ]
I'm in a similar trouble situation.

I use a via epia mobo (VIA Ezra, 800MHz , maybe i586).
When I try to emerge --oneshot linux26-headers, I got the following
error mesg:

---split--------
* Library routines
*
CRC-CCITT functions (CRC_CCITT) [N/m/y/?] (NEW) n
CRC32 functions (CRC32) [Y/?] y
CRC32c (Castagnoli, et al) Cyclic Redundancy-Check (LIBCRC32C) [M/n/y/?]
SPLIT include/linux/autoconf.h -> include/config/*
CC scripts/mod/empty.o
distcc[22494] ERROR: compile /root/.ccache/empty.tmp.livecd.22490.i on
192.168.0.172 failed
cc1: error: unrecognized option `-fno-unit-at-a-time'
make[2]: *** [scripts/mod/empty.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [scripts/mod] Error 2
make: *** [scripts] Error 2

!!! ERROR: sys-kernel/linux26-headers-2.6.8.1 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 66, Exitcode 2
!!! prepare failed

Of course, I read some stuff before, I made changes what you recommended
before.

I try to use distcc for bootstrapping, it looks like working (I use the
via mobo via ssh :)

Can anybody help me?

Thnx, István

Re: installing gentoo from stage1 with new kernel, headers and gcc [ In reply to ]
Ooooooops, I read the mesg. carefully and I found that, the problem
exists in the other machine, which is help to compile the code via
distcc.

Now I'm upgrading the gcc (gcc + binutils + libstdc++) to the fresh one.
I think, this is the real problem.

István

Re: installing gentoo from stage1 with new kernel, headers and gcc [ In reply to ]
Bad news (maybe just for me :)
Unfortunatelly with upgraded gcc the result is the same.

Now I continue the process without distcc :/

István

Re: installing gentoo from stage1 with new kernel, headers and gcc [ In reply to ]
Thanx to everyone... I understand now. I hope that this won't be
longer necessary and a simply bootstrap-2.6.sh command will be enough.

Now ...someone knows howto boostrap the newest gcc?

Thanx

Daniel